Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race fuel vs. octane booster.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 10:25 AM
EDC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race fuel vs. octane booster.

Any advantages of race fuel over adding an octane booster?

EDC
Old 05-01-2002, 11:54 AM
olephart
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Race fuel vs. octane booster. (EDC)

I think so. It's real (unleaded) gasoline, not some crap that may or may not hurt plugs and O2 sensors - My only use of it turned everything orange.

It works. You can blend in any octane you want up to 110. Three gallons of 110 added to 17 gallons of 93 gives you 20 gallons of 95.5. The boosters hardly add anything - mostly increase the decimal part of the number.

Cost - you can convert a whole tank of 93 to over 95+ for $15 worth of race fuel. For the same cost of booster you may get to 93.5.

You may do about as good as race gas using blends of tolulene ?sp or Xylene, but it doesnt seem worth the hassel for occasional use (and don't spill any on your paint.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:35 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Race fuel vs. octane booster. (olephart)

I agree with

I talked to the engineer for Phillips at length, and depending on C/R you can go UP TO a 50/50 mix. With my engine combo we got the best results using 5 gallons race 110 to 15 gallons 93 octane no-lead.

The mix ratios will vary depending on your car.

The other thing about the boosters is, if used in high enough concentrations, they will deteriorate injector seals and other components in the fuel system. Just something to think about.

I get my fuel @ $4/gal, but that will change when I start buying it by the drum :D

[Modified by Joe90, 4:35 PM 5/3/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Race fuel vs. octane booster.

Quick Reply: Race fuel vs. octane booster.