Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing abs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
FLrealty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing abs

Figured road racers remove their abs so that is why I posted here.

Is there a kit that replaces the abs unit? Like a block of some sort that the lines run into and out?

How do racers set up brake lines when removing the abs?

Ty
Old 09-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Pretty simple on my car ('88), just remove the pump and couple the lines together. New lines would be nicer but it works for now. My thread is here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...bs-thread.html
The following users liked this post:
RichMisner (06-20-2023)
Old 09-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,742 Likes on 940 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I did what Aardwolf did by just removing the pump, but I am running all new brake lines. I am kind of **** about appearance, but running new lines is not necessary. It makes the system a little simpler too in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 834 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by FLrealty
Figured road racers remove their abs so that is why I posted here.

Is there a kit that replaces the abs unit? Like a block of some sort that the lines run into and out?

How do racers set up brake lines when removing the abs?

Ty
What year car???

Bob
Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 AM
FLrealty
Instructor

Originally Posted by BEZ06
What year car???

Bob
1998. Should have included that. Too much on the brain right now.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

You should keep it unless you are going to dual master cylinders. But if you really want to remove it, you can get parts at NAPA. It is a mix us US, Japanese, and Europeans style flares and fittings. Probably quicker to just run all new lines than to piece the OEM lines together at the ABS module
Old 09-24-2011, 01:43 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The way you asked the question here in the AutoX/Roadrace section indicates that you run your car on the street.

Why you would want to remove the ABS, I dunno!?!?

The ABS on the C5 and C6 is VERY good!!! If you had ever attended a high performance driving school where they have done skidpad exercises with and without ABS, you wouldn't even be asking the question. With the ABS you can maintain control of the car with max brake pedal pressure, whereas without the ABS you're just along for the ride when the wheels lock up.

At these schools, they just pull the ABS fuse to disable the system. So, if that's all you want to do for some reason, just pull the fuse.

If your car is a track car and, like David said, you are going to do something like modify to a dual m/c setup and are looking to save weight, you can build lines to totally bypass the ABS.

If your car is a street car and you're having problems with the ABS and that's your reason for wanting to remove the system - I say get it fixed!!

www.absfixer.com is THE place to get ABS stuff fixed, but I don't think they work on the earlier C5, like your '98.

Go to http://www.autoecu.com/Chevrolet%20C...l%20Module.htm to see that they can rebuild your EBCM so that you can maintain use of the VERY EFFECTIVE ABS in your car.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:48 PM
FLrealty
Instructor

ok well rebuilding the unit is out. Several threads in the c5 scetion about companies claiming to rebuild the '98 ABS but they don't and they charge 500-700 bucks. People are getting ripped off.

So far, I have found used ones with 65k and 85k miles on them and those are going for 500 or more. mine went out at 78k miles. so why buy a used one with unknown remaining mileage possibilities?

Other then changing over to a 2001 set up for everything I am kinda stuck. Remember, my ABS module is at the back of the car.

I may be wrong but the Viper did not have ABS until 2001??? You have to know how to drive and handle your car correct? I have been in mine since '06.

My vette is the early 98 so it does not have active handling anyways, only traction control. I was also planning on upgrading the mechanical parts of the braking system, bigger, slotted rotors, calipers etc.

I have wondered if 98 Camaro onwers have the same issue? I thought about attempting a swap on that?

Would adding a second master cylinder increase the braking capabilities?

Directions on how to set this up?

Right now this is all in theory. I am still undecided on the path. Hell I may even just say "F" it and go put 10k down on a C6. I just hate having another car payment again.

I appreciate the help trying to solve the problem. Please keep the input coming, I am listenting.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:27 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The way you asked the question here in the AutoX/Roadrace section indicates that you run your car on the street.

Why you would want to remove the ABS, I dunno!?!?

The ABS on the C5 and C6 is VERY good!!! If you had ever attended a high performance driving school where they have done skidpad exercises with and without ABS, you wouldn't even be asking the question. With the ABS you can maintain control of the car with max brake pedal pressure, whereas without the ABS you're just along for the ride when the wheels lock up.

At these schools, they just pull the ABS fuse to disable the system. So, if that's all you want to do for some reason, just pull the fuse.

If your car is a track car and, like David said, you are going to do something like modify to a dual m/c setup and are looking to save weight, you can build lines to totally bypass the ABS.

If your car is a street car and you're having problems with the ABS and that's your reason for wanting to remove the system - I say get it fixed!!

www.absfixer.com is THE place to get ABS stuff fixed, but I don't think they work on the earlier C5, like your '98.

Go to http://www.autoecu.com/Chevrolet%20C...l%20Module.htm to see that they can rebuild your EBCM so that you can maintain use of the VERY EFFECTIVE ABS in your car.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

Bob
but............. i just hate ice mode
Old 09-24-2011, 11:44 PM
FLrealty
Instructor

Maybe I'll give LG Motosports a call and hopefully they will have some straight answers.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:32 AM
FLrealty
Instructor

Another path may have presented itself this morning. I will update what that is if it works out.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2011, 04:14 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ahaaaaa!!!! I see your problem after reading about it over in the C5 section!!

I see that many of you with the 1997-2000 C5 have been having problems with the ABS, and there are no sources for new or rebuilt EBTCM units.

Good luck, let us know if you come up with a fix.

Bob
Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 PM
FLrealty
Instructor

Ahaaaaa!!!! I see your problem after reading about it over in the C5 section!!

I see that many of you with the 1997-2000 C5 have been having problems with the ABS, and there are no sources for new or rebuilt EBTCM units.

Good luck, let us know if you come up with a fix.

Bob
Bob,
I owe you a huge thanks. After reading your response to my question I did think about persuing a different path. Here is what I found:

[IMG][/IMG]
03 z06 66k miles complete minus body panels. Everything pictured I get. It actually runs and is drivable. Complete LS6 drivetrain, HUD everything.

I found it on ebay last night and bought it this morning. I plan on transfering all of the electronics over to the '98, including the ABS. Not only that but this purchase also solves my busted transmission issue. The other problem it solves is the '98 pcm is limited and would not operate the LS2 TB to go along with my FAST on my 383. The 03 PCM will fit the bill perfectly.

I feel like I will have a new vette again. I am super hyped to get this home and start tearing things up.

Thanks again for being the voice of reason. And by the way, the wife agreed with you too. She did not like the idea of me removing the ABS. You know the old saying about wives being happy LOL

TY for the lesson learned, just beacuse someone does not agree with you or questions your process or motive does not make them wrong.

Wishing you the best!

Last edited by FLrealty; 09-25-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Woo Hoo!!!!

That looks and sounds like a fun project!!!!

Good luck, and keep us posted how it goes.

Bob
Old 09-26-2011, 11:48 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What's happening with the '98? I need a motor...
Old 09-26-2011, 01:16 PM
FLrealty
Instructor

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
What's happening with the '98? I need a motor...
I will have a 2003 z06 motor for sale soon with a six month warranty. It has been thoroughly tested by Cleveland pick a part.

Pm me if you would like more details

Ty
Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 PM
jessejay356
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

what did you pay for the donor car? (if you don't mind me asking)

Get notified of new replies

To Removing abs

Quick Reply: Removing abs