Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadcourse back on in Eastern Pa.- Alpine

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 06:30 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I couldn't find the address on the website. Where is it being built?
Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Near Wind Gap,pa.

If you go back to the website, click "the club" at the top of the page, and you should be able to click location in the drop down.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Has any serious site work started yet?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
Near Wind Gap,pa.

If you go back to the website, click "the club" at the top of the page, and you should be able to click location in the drop down.
Which is about 20 miles from Pocono.

Bill
Old 11-20-2011, 09:29 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Which is about 20 miles from Pocono.

Bill
Yes, and if you are coming over the Delaware watergap from RT 80, it looks like Alpine is about 20-30 miles closer to the water gap. I hope this works out, this would be very convenient for a lot of us.....
Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Snuckley
Racer

We are really close to starting the big dig. We are not Barber motorsports park ( built by one wealthy man for his passion). We are group of folks like yourselves trying to build it with financing. Had we not been held up in the legal system for over 5 years we'd all have driven it by now. Please continue to sign up. If 23 people sign up we look like there is no interest, if the number we need, sign up then we are looked at differently by the bank. All permits are in hand , the judge reprimanded (finally) our challengers for bringing up issues with no merit. I can't wait to wear out my C5 lapping this circuit. I'll probably run a Formula Mazda also. Please spread the word , email fellow track hounds the website. Great time to buy a house near the track. Get your retirement farm/ski house/car barn all in one.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:50 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm on the list.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:46 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

How are we doing?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:43 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Did this just die a silent death?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:08 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

I was at the site this summer and we were told they would be breaking ground in September. Somehow, I think we would have heard about it if they in-fact started moving dirt.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

This is the latest information I could find from Sep/Oct 2012. Looks like they are looking for funding (and some are against it)

Michelle Bisbing, director of marketing for Pocono Mountains Economic Development Corporation, told the Eldred Township board of supervisors that Alpine Rose wants to borrow money from her company to build a proposed motor sport track to be located on the Blue Mountain in Smith Gap, if the final plan is approved by the township. It would be a Tax Increment Funding (TIF) loan.

Bisbing explained that after the building takes place, the taxes will go up. Eldred would continue receiving the same amount of taxes it is receiving now. The difference would go to the TIF account toward paying off the loan. But, the township, school district and the county (all taxing bodies) must agree to it.

In addition, all taxing bodies would have to agree to a TIF planning committee, and each taxing body would have to have someone on the committee. She was asking the township to name someone to that committee.

"We're at the beginning stages. We're approaching the township first," said Bisbing. "We're going to the school district next to ask for a member for the committee."

Michael Kaspszyk, the township's solicitor, said that the Alpine Rose plan has not received final approval yet.

Bisbing replied that it was not a requirement to move forward with a committee.

Supervisor Chairman Clair Borger said he was reluctant to move forward with a committee until there's a final plan approval.

"There has been too much contention to move on this until the plan has been approved, if it does (get approved)," he said.

Supervisor Gretchen Gannon Pettit made a motion to table appointing a committee member at this time. It was approved 3-0.

In answer to resident Richard Zilmer's question, Bisbing said the amount of the loan will be somewhere between $10-15 million for the infrastructure, which would not include the cost of the buildings or the track.

Zilmer asked if there were any projections of what kind of tax revenue Alpine Rose would generate after completion.

Bisbing said it would be $90,000 in property taxes in Year 1, $1 million in Year 5. Projected tourism revenue for Year 1 is estimated to be $8 million and Year 5, $12 million.
Members of a Kunkletown-based environmental group spoke against a public financing plan that could be used to help underwrite a private sports car club set to be built in Eldred Township.

At a township supervisors meeting Wednesday night, about 12 members of Blue Mountain Preservation Association expressed opposition to "tax increment financing," or "TIF," to help pay for the Alpine Motorsports Club, a private driving club.

A development group wants to use TIF to divert some property tax revenues to public infrastructure improvements associated with construction of the $35 million club, which would be built on a 350-acre swath of land near Upper Smith Gap Road.

TIF is often used to subsidize redevelopment of blighted urban areas or for new community-improvement projects. It allows developers to defer payment on a portion of local property taxes with the belief that it could spawn further development, and increase surrounding property values and additional tax revenues.

Opponents say the method has the potential to disenfranchise the public it's supposed to serve.

A developer who wants the funding mechanism needs the approval of the township, school district and county where the project is being constructed. Blue Mountain members have been making their rounds to all these entities in recent weeks asking that Alpine be denied the funding mechanism.

"I'm very much against the Alpine project and I don't want the township to aid them in any way," Blue Mountain member Beth Miller said Wednesday.

Miller and other opponents made their comments after the township board, in a 2 to 1 vote, appointed township Supervisor Sharon Solt to a committee that will explore whether TIF is appropriate for the Alpine project.

Supervisors promised not to rubberstamp the TIF for Alpine Motorsports. If any member of the school district, the township or county refuses to sit on this exploratory committee, the possibility of a developer receiving TIF is dead.

However, Solt told the meeting's attendees Wednesday that she was just going to sit on the committee to learn more. She promised to keep the best interests of the township's residents in mind.

Supervisor Gretchen Gannon Pettit voted against Solt's appointment to the committee. Pettit said she didn't think that Alpine had done enough to explain TIF to the township.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:35 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Unfortunately, doen't appear to be on the fast track.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:44 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Alpine in jeopardy... might be sold to State...

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc.../NEWSLETTER100
Old 04-18-2013, 03:50 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Interesting. I got an email last week saying they are ready to start building. Sounds like it was just to help the negotiations with the state.

Same thing happened near me for a sports complex and the state did not step in until it was imminent that construction would start, then they purchased it with the nature conservancy.

Kind of a bummer.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Wonder how long of a stone's throw they are talking about? 20 ft, 300 ft, or two miles?

Bill
Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greenies win again! I still can't beleive NJMP was ever built.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

It may be a financial issue as well.
If they can't find enough $ investors, to build it, then sell out to the state and get back the millions already spent on the project.

Too bad, since it's only 45 mins from my NEPA house.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Snuckley
Racer

Sorry guys it's gone . Man we tried . For over 10 years . Two great guys got stuck holding the note after the initial investors ( over 20 of us ) ran out of steam and funds. These two guys did what they had to do to re-coup their losses.
Going back over the decade of struggles to build a paved road in the woods for off-road high-performance driving, I witnessed first hand "Good guys finishing last". We played by the book, while the opposition LIED to the courts.
Our location was ideal for a few thousand of "Us" to have a great private roadcourse less than 2 hrs from home.

Thanks to all of you for showing your support over the years.

Quick Reply: Roadcourse back on in Eastern Pa.- Alpine