Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering my 87 - front tie-down questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 12:46 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Trailering my 87 - front tie-down questions

Posted these questions in the C4 Gen section but though I would post here too:

I'm considering buying an enclosed trailer to replace my 18' open car hauler and I need to figure out how to "re-invent" the front tie-down attaching points for my 87 coupe.

Right now, I have anchor shackles attached to the factory tie-down eyes on the frame and I attach the front ratchet straps there. This works really well as I can access the shackles easily with the car on the open trailer. Just kneel down and reach in behind the tire and snap the strap on.

With an enclosed trailer, the current ease of access with the open trailer will be pretty much gone. The trailer I'm looking at has floor-mounted D-rings so I need to figure out a new way to attach the straps to the car from the front end.

Is anyone using the front crossmember for attaching tie-down straps? Does it have enough strength to allow attaching straps? If so, can I weld some eyes to the front crossmember? Can they be bolted on using suitable Grade 8 bolts?

An alternative would be to use e-track on the floor of the new trailer and use tire webs over the front tires, but the height of the trailer wheel fenders on the inside walls will require me to install risers on the floor so I can open the car door.

Ideas? Suggestions??
Old 09-24-2011, 01:57 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Posted these questions in the C4 Gen section but though I would post here too:

I'm considering buying an enclosed trailer to replace my 18' open car hauler and I need to figure out how to "re-invent" the front tie-down attaching points for my 87 coupe.

Right now, I have anchor shackles attached to the factory tie-down eyes on the frame and I attach the front ratchet straps there. This works really well as I can access the shackles easily with the car on the open trailer. Just kneel down and reach in behind the tire and snap the strap on.

With an enclosed trailer, the current ease of access with the open trailer will be pretty much gone. The trailer I'm looking at has floor-mounted D-rings so I need to figure out a new way to attach the straps to the car from the front end.

Is anyone using the front crossmember for attaching tie-down straps? Does it have enough strength to allow attaching straps? If so, can I weld some eyes to the front crossmember? Can they be bolted on using suitable Grade 8 bolts?

An alternative would be to use e-track on the floor of the new trailer and use tire webs over the front tires, but the height of the trailer wheel fenders on the inside walls will require me to install risers on the floor so I can open the car door.

Ideas? Suggestions??

I can make life real easy for you by keeping your current set up. Before you pull/winch car into NEW enclosed trailer, just hook your straps on first to your front anchor shackle set up you already have. Then bring loose strap end towards front of car like normal minus ratches. Route end that would go thru ratchet to the top of the front bumper/hood gap.

Just push strap into body gap until all slack is gone, then pull/winch the car in to your proper location. Pull loose strap out tucked into bumper cover gap and drop to floor area, slide strap thru your ratchet and hook into floor d-ring.

I do the same with the rear straps ahead of time, but tuck the loose straps under gas lid hinge. They ride right up into trailer just like fronts.

My 87 Autocross car can be tied down inside trailer in less than 2
minutes. Sorry my car is stored across town or I would take a picture, so I hope my long description gives you an idea.

Aaron
Old 09-24-2011, 02:56 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the factory tie down points with no problems. My trailer is a 22' x 8' enclosed Vintage trailer. It is a little tight but not that bad!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:48 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by rasrboy
I can make life real easy for you by keeping your current set up. Before you pull/winch car into NEW enclosed trailer, just hook your straps on first to your front anchor shackle set up you already have. Then bring loose strap end towards front of car like normal minus ratches. Route end that would go thru ratchet to the top of the front bumper/hood gap.

Just push strap into body gap until all slack is gone, then pull/winch the car in to your proper location. Pull loose strap out tucked into bumper cover gap and drop to floor area, slide strap thru your ratchet and hook into floor d-ring.

I do the same with the rear straps ahead of time, but tuck the loose straps under gas lid hinge. They ride right up into trailer just like fronts.

My 87 Autocross car can be tied down inside trailer in less than 2
minutes. Sorry my car is stored across town or I would take a picture, so I hope my long description gives you an idea.

Aaron
That sounds like a plan!! Guess even if the car is on the ground, I should still be able to reach the shackles. The car is in the garage now and I can try attaching a strap and see how feeding the loose end thru the hood/nose gap works. I would think I could even leave the ratchet portion always connected to the floor D-rings and just slide them out of the way when the car is out.

I don't see any issue at the rear as I use the same type of shackle attached to an old Reese trailer hitch I had installed when I had my small Harbor Freight trailers for race tires. They are at the rear by the mufflers and it's not a problem getting to them.

Great help!!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

We use an axle strap around the sway bar on my dad's ZR-1. The only thing we have to be careful of is not getting the strap around the tie rod.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailering my 87 - front tie-down questions

Quick Reply: Trailering my 87 - front tie-down questions