Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS Can-AM series 20012

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Green Smoke
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ALMS Can-AM series 20012

ALMS is planning to run a series for updated versions of old Can-Am cars, like the Revson/Hulme McLarens. www.unlimitedracingchampionship.com
Old 09-27-2011, 03:34 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

They need something to bump the car count. Ok - anything.

Richard
Old 09-27-2011, 03:46 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think they hitched the cart to the wrong horse!

Awesome looking car though - would love to drive something like that someday.
Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

" The entirely new car was designed as a thoroughbred race car "

" The Unlimited Racing Championship will feature identically built NuArt CanAm cars "

Was that web site designed as a forum for oxymorons? Hopefully, if any of these cars actually exist, they are more true to their purpose than the hype that attempts to present the concept.

O.K. - bring on the next illusionist.

Ed LoPresti
Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

They wont be racing alongside current cars, it will be a support series similar to Porsche GT3 Cup
Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Looks pretty cool

Hopefully it will sound something like this
Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Not IDENTICAL

but unlimited HP.

the 454 ci Chebies up against the flat 12 twin turbo Porsche 917s
Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
Hopefully, if any of these cars actually exist, they are more true to their purpose than the hype that attempts to present the concept.

O.K. - bring on the next illusionist.

Ed LoPresti
Bzzzzt.

They certainly do exist. There were three of them at the Laguna-Seca ALMS race a couple of weeks ago. Clearly taken off of the McLarens they are pretty cool. Nicely detailed, well done bodywork. They did a few laps on Saturday before the main event and you knew what they were just by the sound they made.

The trick is getting folks to buy into the thing. The cars are half a million bucks (to start.) It's an open question whether they'll have enough cars "in the wild" to create an interesting series.

Trust me, 15 or 20 of those things having at it in anger would be quite entertaining. Of all the race cars at Laguna-Seca that weekend, only the GT Corvettes were thumping the ground and air like these things were doing on their demo laps. Brought back some 40+ year old memories for sure.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-mBRgXd831cE/TG...Q/DSC_0056.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/-bhfqMwgilag/TG...U/DSC_0054.JPG

They are race car builders, not advertising people. Cut 'em some slack.

Z//
Old 09-27-2011, 08:19 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Another series for no-talent rich guys. Leaves us no-talent poor guys out in the cold.

Richard
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Sorry, Gentlemen,

My skepticism got away from me there. I just always thought that race cars BECAME thoroughbreds, or like race horses, EVOLVED from other thoroughbreds. " . . . . . designed as a thoroughbred race car" ?? I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

And doesn't it strike anyone else here that "Unlimited Racing" and "identically built" are truly contradictions, especially when posed against the spectre of the actual Can Am or Interserie championships.

Z - I am glad to hear that these have made it out of the design room and fab shop. It is also encouraging to hear that they appear to be well executed and finished. And I am certainly not opposed to reviving past concepts that were winners, and improving upon them. I guess it is the hype from that web site that got me wondering. When one has to sell something that hard --- well, I'm am certain you get the idea.

We'll be watching this project with interest.
Ed
Old 09-27-2011, 09:14 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

You bet it does Ed
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Ed, were you at the Glen in 69 when the 908s that won the 6 Hr Race on Saturday got a chance to run against the McClaren's in the CanAm race the next day? If I remember right the McLaren's ran away from everything including the 908s. Those suckers were fast!!!! Put 4 wheels on a ZL1 engine add a seat and some body work and let them loose. 0-100-0 in less than 10 seconds. With modern tires the same cars would be unreal.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 09-27-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by rfn026
Another series for no-talent rich guys. Leaves us no-talent poor guys out in the cold.

Richard
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Hi Bill (D),

Unfortunately, no, I was not at the track that year, but I saw them run several other times here. Perhaps it was that beating of which you speak that inspired Porsche to "up the ante" with their 917, which eventually became dominent in the hands of Penske and Donahue.

Before anyone realized that the "vintage" craze would make those McLarens worth millions, there was a club racer from Scranton, PA, named Ocsar Kovelski, who owned the racer supply AutoWorld, Inc., which you may remember. He had one of Bruce's older cars, fitted with a "milder" 427 cid, and would run it in a couple of SCCA races each year - class A-SR. Talk about being in a class all its own! I think he lapped everyone, with the possible exception of himself!!

Putting things is perspective for a moment, can you imagine what these men would have thought about adding a weight penalty to their cars because they had won?

Ed
Old 09-28-2011, 01:00 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Putting things is perspective for a moment, can you imagine what these men would have thought about adding a weight penalty to their cars because they had won?
Ed
They might have been all for it if doing so had kept the series alive and allowed them to sell more race cars (McLaren) and win more races.

It's nice to dream of the old days when "run what ya brung" was king (I do it regularly) but all you have to do is compare the home-brew cars of the early USRRC (Old Yeller II, for instance - 1960) to the last years of the Can-Am (1974) to see how such series never stay static and will always force out the "little guy". It's the way of life (sadly, at times.) And the cubic dollars that the manufacturers can bring to bear will hasten the process to the extreme.

Also, this same period was seeing huge jumps in knowledge re: chassis design and especially in aerodynamics (see: Jim Hall) all of which forced the home brew builders into the history books.

Speaking of Oscar Kovaleski, here's a little known fact...

Cannonball Baker Sea-to-Shining-Sea Trophy Dash round #2 (1971)
  1. Dan Gurney & Brock Yates - Ferrari Daytona - 35 hours 54 minutes
  2. Oscar Kovaleski, Tony Adamowitz, & Brad Niemcek - Chevy van - 36 hours 47 minutes

Z//
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

I guess it is the hype from that web site that got me wondering. When one has to sell something that hard --- well, I'm am certain you get the idea.
You do live in America, right? - the country where hype is king. What you're reacting to is hype done by amateurs Every hour of TV you watch has 22 minutes of professional hype. You don't even notice it any more. But give us a dose of amateur hype...

Z//
Old 09-28-2011, 06:35 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like it more if they also offered a Lola T70 and a Chapperral 2E for more visual variety, or I can just close my eyes and enjoy the soundtrack. /:\

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS Can-AM series 20012

Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by parkerracing
I would like it more if they also offered a Lola T70 and a Chapperral 2E for more visual variety, or I can just close my eyes and enjoy the soundtrack. /:\
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yup you could tell each car by the sound as if flew by.

Maybe ALMS should partner with Vintage Racing like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lr4sh8AufE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Er3...eature=related

Last edited by AU N EGL; 09-28-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:52 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It can never be like it was, way to dangerous. I am sure they could get 2000hp if they wanted and that would be crazy. No way they are going to let that happen.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Yeah, that was my first thought - it's all McLarens.

In theory they could do the Lola bodywork on the same underlying chassis - at least close enough. Doing the Chaparral would be a different thing (and I imagine they'd have to - or want to - get Jim Hall's OK.)

The idea is clearly to have a simple, easily maintained car. Adding all the Chaparral features would surely add to the cost of parts and maintenance. But it sure would be cool

Z//

Quick Reply: ALMS Can-AM series 20012