Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left Foot Braking - Who Does it

Old 09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Left Foot Braking - Who Does it

Back when I use to do a lot of autocrossing (not really competitively, just out there for fun) I would left foot brake. I initially learned it in karting way back when. On an AX course, where you typically shift to 2nd and stay there, LFB came natural to me. Whether or not it made me faster is another story but it did make me more comfortable, consistent and confident.

For the past 4 years I've been doing 10-13 track events per year and have never got the hang of LFB on the track. This is mostly due to lack of trying but also because many corners have a shift involved, which makes LFB with a standard H-pattern tranny next to impossible (for me at least). The faster speeds (vs AX) and the potentially higher price of a mistake also contribute to my reluctance to practice the technique.

I'm curious who out there does LFB and how you went about learning the technique? (Duh - practice, practice, practice...but where? on the street, on the track at lower speeds, just throw caution to the wind and do it?)
Old 09-29-2011, 01:55 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
Back when I use to do a lot of autocrossing (not really competitively, just out there for fun) I would left foot brake. I initially learned it in karting way back when. On an AX course, where you typically shift to 2nd and stay there, LFB came natural to me. Whether or not it made me faster is another story but it did make me more comfortable, consistent and confident.

For the past 4 years I've been doing 10-13 track events per year and have never got the hang of LFB on the track. This is mostly due to lack of trying but also because many corners have a shift involved, which makes LFB with a standard H-pattern tranny next to impossible (for me at least). The faster speeds (vs AX) and the potentially higher price of a mistake also contribute to my reluctance to practice the technique.

I'm curious who out there does LFB and how you went about learning the technique? (Duh - practice, practice, practice...but where? on the street, on the track at lower speeds, just throw caution to the wind and do it?)
I have been using it for the last couple of years
.......................however I now have a A6 with paddle shifters so it's a lot easier to do. as to practice the street is a good place as speeds are slower and you have more time to manage the learning process. However the pedal travel required makes it a lot harder to do on the street
Old 09-29-2011, 02:26 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started in Karting when I was a kid and then also used it in formula cars later on. The best way to do it is driving around your neighborhood or something of that nature, just make sure there isn't someone behind you. The other way you can practice is by karting, or take your car out and practice on a skid pad or something like that. You don't really want to "learn" on track unless you have some experience with it. The biggest change other than the muscle memory will be the pedal travel. It's hard to mimic really jamming on the brake pedal with your left foot. Each car has different pedal travel, and that is something that throws a lot of people off.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:58 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I practice it in my truck so that I'm comfortable with it, but I can never bring myself to do it on track. A good place to use it would be when tapping the brakes to get the car settled for Soutbend at VIR... I'm always going to fast there to try something new. I need to go out in a random HPDE session and try it.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

I left foot brake 100% with my daily drivers as they're all slush boxes, but I haven't tried it with the Corvette. I worry that with my big feet I'm going to get my shoes caught in the pedals and have a bit too much excitement out on the course.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I left foot brake into corners that dont require shifting.. Otherwise its Heal-Toe.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I tried it with my last car ('05 GTO) during a track day after practicing on the street. The first thing I discovered was how much I actually used my left foot to keep me positioned in the stock seat. Now that I have a proper track seat and harness in my Z06, I haven't had the chance to try it.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:19 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,787 Likes on 1,139 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by argonaut
I don't do it on the track, yet. But it's on the list of things to practice. The intent would be to do so only in corners that don't require a downshift of course. For Summit Point main, for instance, that's 3, 6, and 10.

I converted over to LFB on my automatic pickup last year and it's completely natural for me to do it now, whether stuck in traffic or whatever. But I haven't yet tried it on the track.

jas
Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I truly learned it's value racing in Spec Miata for so many years. I have done it in the ST2 car, but not nearly as much.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did it in my GT1 car (manual brakes). It also had a Jerico trans so that helped alot. I would clutch on the upshifts (my left foot wasn't doing anything anyway) and stand on the brakes with my left foot, blip the throtle with my right and downshift. /:\
Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I left foot brake any zone that does not require a shift. Starting a couple of weeks prior to an event, I left foot brake my daily driver to retrain the stupid left foot. I also take the opportunity to left foot brake the ENTIRE course at least once a track event.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Racer-38
Racer

I read somewhere that left foot braking would be faster around the track and that a good way to learn was to practice with your street car. SO I thought.....OK!! First time I tried it, I damn near went thru the windshield. Its not as easy as it seems .....and I still brake with my right foot.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:02 AM
flink
Racer

Originally Posted by Racer-38
I read somewhere that left foot braking would be faster around the track and that a good way to learn was to practice with your street car. SO I thought.....OK!! First time I tried it, I damn near went thru the windshield. Its not as easy as it seems .....and I still brake with my right foot.
heh.

Remove the brake booster. That way the amount of pressure you put on the clutch is similar to the pressure you use on the brake, so those massively-developed left leg muscles don't do this to you.

Then you get in a buddy's car which has a booster. The first time you go for the brakes: through the windshield you go.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I use it at VIR at T3, T4, T10 and Southbend. It works well when you just need settle car, but it does take practice. Helps to keep heel on floor, not lifted off floor. I dd my car so I get plenty of practice on street.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:15 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have left foot heel-and-toe pretty well mastered, but still am experiencing trouble with right foot clutching.

Over the winter, we'll be instaling a backwards-facing containment seat, and that should help.

Ed
Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I have to left foot brake my old truck to keep it running.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:04 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I have to left foot brake my old truck to keep it running.

LOL. Yep. You can always tell those of us that grew up driving junk. Left foot braking comes naturally if you are constantly patting the gas with your right foot.

Get notified of new replies

To Left Foot Braking - Who Does it

Old 09-30-2011, 08:31 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
LOL. Yep. You can always tell those of us that grew up driving junk. Left foot braking comes naturally if you are constantly patting the gas with your right foot.
Or if you have an ill-tuned motor - lots of heel-toe and left foot braking practice there!
Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i do it in corners with no shift and, occassionally will tap it briefly with the left foot when approaching the brake zone from a high speed straight to make sure I have a pedal, then right foot on the brake and downshift.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:49 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
Or if you have an ill-tuned motor - lots of heel-toe and left foot braking practice there!
With the no-flywheel, QM clutch I am not sure where my feet are at any given time. Pretty much just a blur......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Left Foot Braking - Who Does it