Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Final hpde at Nashville Super Speedway before it closes

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 06:22 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

Default Final hpde at Nashville Super Speedway before it closes

Just a quick note to let you know of the last hpde to be held at NSS before the track closes for the forseeable future. Tracks Unlimited is hosting another track day offering over 3 hours of driving time for only $199 on Oct. 15th. Be a part of the last group to drive on this track. Also may need instructors. You can register at tracksunlimited.net, or call Jerry Stout for more info at 423 280 8414. Instructors drive for free.
Old 09-30-2011, 08:35 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I'm in! The past events I have run with you guys were great. Will Patrick Long be there again for the Porsche runs on Friday? Perhaps we instructors will get the opportunity to drive the courtesy cars from Porsche again.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I plan on being there both days to instruct.

Jim
Old 09-30-2011, 09:03 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Looking forward to seeing you again, Jim. Are you relocated yet?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Can't take any more time off work

Was out there the past weekend with NASA MidSouth. Beautiful weekend.

OBTW - the track map that used to be in the classroom is no more so bring copies of the track map for your use with students!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:40 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Can't take any more time off work

Was out there the past weekend with NASA MidSouth. Beautiful weekend.

OBTW - the track map that used to be in the classroom is no more so bring copies of the track map for your use with students!
Thanks for the heads up. I don't understand why one would abscond with the map though. Hate you can't make it. Catch up to you later maybe a little farther south.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
jstout
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Chattanooga Area Events Coordinator

ttt
Old 10-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
Looking forward to seeing you again, Jim. Are you relocated yet?
Not yet Arte. My business is sold and I should get the funds around the first of November. Next is selling my house. High end houses are not going too fast.

I look forward to seeing you too. Are you going to be there Friday? Can you give me any track input?

Jim
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Yea, stay on track and don't kick the gravel up on the first part of the infield.
It makes things interesting trying to get on the back straight. You have to be perfect if the gravel has been kicked on the track.

For the turn to that infield part of the course remember you can go all the way to the right crossing the white line before turning in. You wouldn't beleive how hard it was to get that through my students head.

Find the smooth transition for your car from the back straight to the second part of the infield course. And find the smooth transition onto the front straight, I try to pop on just after the end of pit in. And find a smooth transition from the front striaght to the flat part of the track.

On the NASA Mid-South forum there are several videos from this past weekend.

Good luck, I won't be there - too many honey do's and I can't take time off.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Painrace
Not yet Arte. My business is sold and I should get the funds around the first of November. Next is selling my house. High end houses are not going too fast.

I look forward to seeing you too. Are you going to be there Friday? Can you give me any track input?

Jim
Jim, you won't have any trouble at all. 2 laps and you'll be up to speed. Really, it is fairly uncomplicated. 2 auto crosses separated by 2 straights, and simple auto crosses at that. Only one definite compromised small ess. If you like, I'll ride that first session with you. I'll be there friday. However, if it is like the last Porsche event, most drivers were not lap day regulars and simply wanted to experience full throttle speeds on the straights. I think most of us were just there to keep things under control as opposed to teaching for group advancement. Most all Porsches will probably be factory stock.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son
Jim, you won't have any trouble at all. 2 laps and you'll be up to speed. Really, it is fairly uncomplicated. 2 auto crosses separated by 2 straights, and simple auto crosses at that. Only one definite compromised small ess. If you like, I'll ride that first session with you. I'll be there friday. However, if it is like the last Porsche event, most drivers were not lap day regulars and simply wanted to experience full throttle speeds on the straights. I think most of us were just there to keep things under control as opposed to teaching for group advancement. Most all Porsches will probably be factory stock.
Hey Arte, Jim McKamey won a couple races there last w/e with NASA. Qualified fastest in ST-2 both days and won both races. Set fastest time in TTS time trials both days. New track record. 1:04:165

That wing he put on the front of the car seems to really do the trick.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Yea, stay on track and don't kick the gravel up on the first part of the infield.
It makes things interesting trying to get on the back straight. You have to be perfect if the gravel has been kicked on the track.

For the turn to that infield part of the course remember you can go all the way to the right crossing the white line before turning in. You wouldn't beleive how hard it was to get that through my students head.

Find the smooth transition for your car from the back straight to the second part of the infield course. And find the smooth transition onto the front straight, I try to pop on just after the end of pit in. And find a smooth transition from the front striaght to the flat part of the track.

On the NASA Mid-South forum there are several videos from this past weekend.

Good luck, I won't be there - too many honey do's and I can't take time off.
I didn't realize that was you there last weekend. I was in the black/copper vette running ST2 out there. Turn 1 gave me all sorts of problems... but I was pushing the car as hard as I could out there. There were times I would almost 4 wheel drift the car all the way to the right edge of the track. I got it right a few times, but when I got it wrong... it was bad.

I hope someone buys it soon.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:39 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06_505
Hey Arte, Jim McKamey won a couple races there last w/e with NASA. Qualified fastest in ST-2 both days and won both races. Set fastest time in TTS time trials both days. New track record. 1:04:165

He was deffinetly fast... I did the best I could to catch him in the race, but I ran out of talent.

He did take the wings off for the Saturday fun race and he said it was a HUGE difference in how the car drove around the big sweeper. Someday, I'll be going with some aero myself.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10
He was deffinetly fast... I did the best I could to catch him in the race, but I ran out of talent.

He did take the wings off for the Saturday fun race and he said it was a HUGE difference in how the car drove around the big sweeper. Someday, I'll be going with some aero myself.
Here is some of Jim's handywork...not bad for a guy in his 70's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ch41ik5-U
Old 10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I had no idea Jim was here. I wish he had given me a heads up on coming into town. Good showing with record for sure. He knows when to use discipline to negotiate a track. When folks say that BNA SS is a technical track, they sometimes mean it just takes discipline to not push!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
jtmck
Instructor

Here is some of Jim's handywork...not bad for a guy in his 70's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ch41ik5-U
Hey Hey young fella!!!

I will not be 70 until next year.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Originally Posted by jtmck
Hey Hey young fella!!!

I will not be 70 until next year.
That's what you get for pulling my chain...a couple years ago when I met you and asked how old you were, you told me 74

BTW, congrats on a stellar performance at Nashville.

Get notified of new replies

To Final hpde at Nashville Super Speedway before it closes

Old 10-07-2011, 10:32 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

That's what you get for pulling my chain...a couple years ago when I met you and asked how old you were, you told me 74

Nice work Jim
Old 10-07-2011, 10:33 AM
jtmck
Instructor

No No You may have HEARD 74, but hearing starts to go as you get older, right???
Old 10-07-2011, 12:19 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jtmck
No No You may have HEARD 74, but hearing starts to go as you get older, right???
Ha! So you are that masked man. Congratulations fellow!

Jim, remind me to show you an article in the last issue of RaceCar Engineering. It covers the dynamics of toe in/toe out that we were discussing.

Quick Reply: Final hpde at Nashville Super Speedway before it closes