Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AiM SOLO DL

Old 10-04-2011, 12:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default AiM SOLO DL

http://optimummotorsports.com/SOLO.html

Looks like $699 and it looks like it'll hook to OBDII and/or a SmartyCam and allow the AiM Race Studio 2 analysis software to look at all the data. A much cheaper entry cost than an AiM MXL Pista complete dash.

Another lap timer/data system to add to the mix... somebody needs to get one and let us know what it's like. :-)
Old 10-04-2011, 01:45 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

What stinks (for me, with a c5) about systems that only have OBD2 hook-up is that 2 of the 3 most important non-G/GPS inputs (brake press, steering angle) are not sent over OBD2. This is where Race Technology loggers shine. And the software is great.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:07 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

I don't get brake pressure out of my ODBII on the Pista. I do get steering angle. But honestly I haven't figured out how to make sense of it. The AiM MXL Pista is like the DL1 in that you can add whatever sensors you want on top of the OBDII data (or instead of).

The RS2 software from AiM was the easiest to use for me...
Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM
joenationwide
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the regular Aim SOLO for $400. It is just as good for a training/teaching tool, just doesn't give you the sensor inputs. I also like having it while on track for the split times feature. Great product!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Do you really have to start predictive timing manually after a couple of laps by pressing a button? That's what I'm seeing on this video on youtube..... If so, that kinda sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQCtBJ4knsA
Old 10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
joenationwide
Racer

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Do you really have to start predictive timing manually after a couple of laps by pressing a button? That's what I'm seeing on this video on youtube..... If so, that kinda sucks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQCtBJ4knsA
I set up the screen options to display the +/- best time and the best lap time. I just scroll to the screen as I am leaving grid. After that I don't touch it.

I like the +/- because it lets me know how much faster/slower I am than my fastest lap. This is really helpful for me in Time Trialing.

Also, most tracks are already in the database and you don't need to set Start/Finish.

Last edited by joenationwide; 10-06-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Can you use a best lap time from a previous session?
Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

http://www.aimsportsystems.com.au/do...O%20Manual.pdf
Old 12-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

I just got one of the Solo DL and SmartyCam setups.

I used it for the first time this past Tuesday and I am working on understanding the Race Studio 2 software and experiencing a couple quirks with the video editing, although in raw form it is beautiful.

Oli
Old 12-30-2011, 03:19 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://vimeo.com/aimsports/videos
Old 12-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I thought the SmartyCam would do data logging, in that case you only need the ECU bridge rather than the SOLO DL, right? I guess that's unless you want the lap time display.

I've been staring at these video/DA systems for months now but have a really hard time figuring what components you need to do what with each vendor.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:23 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I thought the SmartyCam would do data logging, in that case you only need the ECU bridge rather than the SOLO DL, right? I guess that's unless you want the lap time display.
Last I knew SmartyCam would do data overlay, but AiM wasn't letting it export the .drk files directly for analysis in RaceStudio2. If that's changed that'd be great news. Otherwise the SOLO DL with SmartyCam is a very cost effective way to do things... about the same price as my MXL Pista was, but you get video with the display & data!
Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 AM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Anybody confirm the solo DL ecu hookup works with the c5? There was some debate that it only worked on c6 cars.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:12 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

It likely only works on '06+ C6 cars... It connects to the (high-speed) CAN bus which isn't available on older cars, including 2005 if I understand correctly.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 354 Likes on 221 Posts

I tried several different cofigurations of set-up on the Solo DL to make it work with the C5 ODB2. I could not get any of them to report any meaningful data at all. Mostly the Solo DL picks up no information at all from the ECU. I have tried the Chevrolet Cobalt setting, the only one for Chevrolet. I have tried the GM C6 Corvette LS2 config and nothing. I have tried at the suggestion of the AiM distributor to use try the ODB2, CAN and ISO configs and still nothing.

Some of our local T1 racers have purchased the Solo DL, mainly for use with the SmartyCam systems. If we get any ODB2 data that will be a plus.

On that front, we have two SCCA T1 regional races and a national this coming weekend at Auto Club Speedway in southern California. Several of us are running AiM systems. The distributor, who happens to be about 30 minutes from the track, is coming out this weekend to provide some assistance and coaching. He is aware of the broad use of C5 in racing from coast to coast. He is going to install some "undistributed" C5 configs for us to try out. I have told him I don't need every parameter to work, but a few key ones would be nice. Hopefully next week I will have som more tangible news and successful results to post.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:36 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

The C5 and '05 C6 do not have the "high-speed CAN bus" that gets used for the AiM products... '06+ C6 and other newer vehicles should work... I think the "C6 LS2" config also applies to LS3 and LS7 and LS9, FWIW. I don't know about the OBDII straight-up configuration... I had to wire the CAN+/CAN- pins to get my '06 to provide the data...
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

You won't be able to get data out of the C5, it's a SAE J1850 interface. Where as the 06+ C6 is a CAN Bus system.

I looked into all the different systems I could find and there were only 2 that would read stuff out of the C5. One of which I can't remember, the other was Race Chrono. Now if you Google RC, it comes up as a phone app...which it is. However, they make a kit for 699 that included a small stand along touch screen, high speed Bluetooth GPS receiver and a Bluetooth OBDII reader that will read and data collect from the SAE J1850 cars.

I got one of those and haven't really got to use it yet since the first time I tried to get lap data I had the course in the device set to uni directional and of all days to go out we were running in the opposite direction so nothing was recorded. Won't get a chance to get out till next month.

Even then at 699 for RC setup, you go get a GoPro for 299 and the RC comes with software that allows you to overlay the video.

Jay

Get notified of new replies

To AiM SOLO DL

Old 01-16-2012, 09:01 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Use the analog inputs for a C5 - this most important (rpm, steering angle, braking pressure, tps) are readily available.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:42 AM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Use the analog inputs for a C5 - this most important (rpm, steering angle, braking pressure, tps) are readily available.

Am I reading this correct? The aim solo DL will record rpm, steering angle, brake pressure, TPS from the ecu on a C5?

Or are you saying go with a different data logger system?
Old 01-17-2012, 04:27 AM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I tried several different cofigurations of set-up on the Solo DL to make it work with the C5 ODB2. I could not get any of them to report any meaningful data at all. Mostly the Solo DL picks up no information at all from the ECU. I have tried the Chevrolet Cobalt setting, the only one for Chevrolet. I have tried the GM C6 Corvette LS2 config and nothing. I have tried at the suggestion of the AiM distributor to use try the ODB2, CAN and ISO configs and still nothing.

Some of our local T1 racers have purchased the Solo DL, mainly for use with the SmartyCam systems. If we get any ODB2 data that will be a plus.

On that front, we have two SCCA T1 regional races and a national this coming weekend at Auto Club Speedway in southern California. Several of us are running AiM systems. The distributor, who happens to be about 30 minutes from the track, is coming out this weekend to provide some assistance and coaching. He is aware of the broad use of C5 in racing from coast to coast. He is going to install some "undistributed" C5 configs for us to try out. I have told him I don't need every parameter to work, but a few key ones would be nice. Hopefully next week I will have som more tangible news and successful results to post.
Awesome, keep us updated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AiM SOLO DL