Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Dakota Slim
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 78 Likes on 45 Posts

Default replacing Rotors

I do a lot of HPDE driving with my 2000 Vette and am starting to get some very small cracks on the face of the rotor. They kind of look like small "spider web" type cracks. Not clear through the rotor, just onthe surface. Is it time to replace them?
Old 10-06-2011, 09:31 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

search.
Heat checks.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:18 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

My conservative rule of thumb on rotor replacement due to heat checking : I drag a finger nail across the worst spot. If crack is deap enough that nail catches it's time to replace. If the crack goes all the way to the outer edge of the rotor it's time to replace. A lot of folks run them longer, but I hate replacing a fully cracked rotor at the track.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Alot depends on how much you are willing to do at the track.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:57 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

The problem with waiting until they crack at the track, is they won't crack during a session. While they are cooling down, they crack, usually under the pads, and you won't notice until tun 1 of your next session, and then you are out that session. I go with the fingernail test.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
The problem with waiting until they crack at the track, is they won't crack during a session. While they are cooling down, they crack, usually under the pads, and you won't notice until tun 1 of your next session, and then you are out that session. I go with the fingernail test.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:55 AM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heat checks are not a big problem. They are your signal that replacement is just ahead for you. Keep a close eye on them, really get a good feel for how much they are checked. My problem is I know when to replace them, I just try and get "one more day", and that leads to cracked rotors at the track. Something I have sworn to do a better job of changing them next year.

Important note: heat checking means you had a good time the last time you went out!!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My advice is to leave them until they fully crack.

As stated above, they almost always crack when they are cooling down.

I always let them cool and check them before the next session (leaving enough time to change them if possible-easily less than 10 minutes with practice.)

The thing about pro-actively changing them is that brand new ones sometimes crack right away, so you never know-the only thing you know is that all stock rotors WILL crack.

Tim
Old 10-08-2011, 10:37 AM
PeOR
Instructor

Default Agree

I agree with leaving them on until they fully crack. But have a jack and a rescue rotor with you. Because it will happen during one of your track days and it is no fun having to abandon the event. And dangerous to get the car back home unless you tow it.

PeO.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It goes without saying that AT LEAST 1 front and 1 rear rotor are part of your essential spares for any track day.

Tim
Old 10-08-2011, 01:05 PM
johninar
Drifting

I have a shop that saves me take offs when they put bling blings.
I get a rotor that is already seasoned. I crack them before they wear out anyway.
YMMV
Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can start doing a couple of things to "postpone" a real crack as long as possible.

1. make sure you get a cooldown lap where you use your brakes as little as possible. if you have to come in hot, drive circles around the paddock for a minute or two.

2. after you park the car, wait a couple of minutes, then push it a foot or two forward so the pads do not sit over the same spot on the rotor as they cool down. People run up to me all the time asking if I need help when I do that (thinking the car died). I just don't want to start the car to move it a foot forward!

the warning signs of being very close to the end will be heat checks growing taller (i.e. you can trace each line up and down for an inch or more) and being able to see them breaking up the outer edge (so you see a small "nick" if you are looking straight down on the rotor.

also, get in the habit of doing a moderate-to-hard brake application in a safe environment before the first real braking zone in your session - you do not want to be looking at 130mph on the HUD going into 60mph corner on cold tires when you hear "thunk thunk" of a cracked rotor for the first time. Also useful if you manage to put the pad wrong side in somehow or forgot to bleed boiled fluid, or close the bleeder etc etc...

Get notified of new replies

To replacing Rotors

Quick Reply: replacing Rotors