Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FU&%$#@ halfshafts!

Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default FU&%$#@ halfshafts!

So far im on my 4th halfshaft. i have bought remanufactured ones, and brand news ones, and the boot keeps ripping in the same place on each one. Nothing is touching it at all, the boot is nice and rubbery still (not dry and cracked)

Ive heard the rebuild ones are crap, but I thought new would be good. I changed out the stockers because 1 was popping long ago, but never had a boot rip...

i imagine you guys here eat through parts quick with racing...are there better hardened ones out there?
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Only buy the oem GM ones. I have put 3 others in and all 3 failed on track in less than 1 trackday. Others have experienced similar. Why is it so hard to get a boot to fit? I think maybe there is lots of play left right to the shaft as we drive. The aftermarket boot is too tight and pops off or rips. They look great in your hand but fail dynamically. If you really have problems I would find a wrecked car with 20k miles and use a used proven one.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Only buy the oem GM ones. I have put 3 others in and all 3 failed on track in less than 1 trackday. Others have experienced similar. Why is it so hard to get a boot to fit? I think maybe there is lots of play left right to the shaft as we drive. The aftermarket boot is too tight and pops off or rips. They look great in your hand but fail dynamically. If you really have problems I would find a wrecked car with 20k miles and use a used proven one.
GM or even used GM beats the ones from the "parts stores". I have seen a lot of failure on the "other brands".
Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

I don't know if it really helps but I put a tie wrap loosely around the midsection of each one to stop centrifugal force from full '***** out' type stretch after reading about the tip here on the forum. So far no problems.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:32 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can now change a half shaft in less than 18 minutes...........timed it IN THE DARK parked outside the racetrack at Heartland Park earlier this year........put in a reman we picked up at OReillys that evening, installed it in the parking lot as we couldn't get in on Thursday evening and promptly blew it apart during our first practice session.

The 'rebuilt' ones have soft boots and swell under high speed (blew TWO on the dyno)......frequently catching the shock mount on our Penskes. The rebuilt ones also have boots that aren't 'tapered' like the stock GM ones. I was surprised at how stiff the boots on the GMs were when I compared the two.

They are pricey but go with the GM units.........if you want some great used ones.......call Colton at www.corvetterecycling.com

example......... http://www.corvetterecycling.com/product_p/10311201.htm

Last edited by CP Thunder; 10-09-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:20 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

www.vettenuts.net
Old 10-10-2011, 12:19 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
I can now change a half shaft in less than 18 minutes...........timed it IN THE DARK parked outside the racetrack at Heartland Park earlier this year........put in a reman we picked up at OReillys that evening, installed it in the parking lot as we couldn't get in on Thursday evening and promptly blew it apart during our first practice session.

The 'rebuilt' ones have soft boots and swell under high speed (blew TWO on the dyno)......frequently catching the shock mount on our Penskes. The rebuilt ones also have boots that aren't 'tapered' like the stock GM ones. I was surprised at how stiff the boots on the GMs were when I compared the two.

They are pricey but go with the GM units.........if you want some great used ones.......call Colton at www.corvetterecycling.com

example......... http://www.corvetterecycling.com/product_p/10311201.htm

119, not bad! considering the other ones are the same price
Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you guys reducing the air left inside the boots? The air expands and blows the boot when it gets hot.

When you put the half shaft into the differential, be sure to push it all the way in at first, make sure it is locked, then push it in again. Now install the boot compressing the bellows as you install the lip and hold it in until it is tied down. This reduces the open area of the boot, ie the air. Now open it to its normal distance and you'll notice the boot isn't as big. This works for me in Arizona. Good luck!

I got a couple GM used half shafts in the box I can sell.

Last edited by 96solo; 10-12-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:55 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Well, got a new one from napa, it had the boot that the oem ones have!! Lets hope it stays together this time
Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

A friend wants to go dragracing tomorrow and noticed the drivers side boot is spitting grease. Is there a risk to driving it at the track for the day? He's worried about the shaft failing and crashing, is there a sign of a failing cv joint?

Get notified of new replies

To FU&%$#@ halfshafts!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FU&%$#@ halfshafts!