Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have the trailer hitch.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 AM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default For those that have the trailer hitch.....

is there a tow hook that fits into the trailer hitch?

I'm tempted to buy the trailer hitch for the Vette but I'm unsure if the hitch (or mounting hardware) is up to the task.

And if there isn't, is there room for the trailer hitch AND a tow hook?

I want to have a small trailer for my track wheels and misc equipment and thought it would be great if there was a tow hook that fit into the receiver and wasn't permanent like the other tow hooks I see.

Coming from European cars, I am use to simply screwing the tow hook in during a track day and them removing them once I'm done. I can't believe the Vette doesn't come with these standard.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't know if there is a tow hook to buy that fits into the standard hitch receiver or not but it would be very simple to make one. But why bother, I've had my car towed out of the grass (motor quit...fuel pump) by just hooking the tow strap onto the metal loop that the safety chains latch onto. Its plenty strong for almost all needs. An actual tow hook mounted in the hitch's receiver would be stronger though.

My 2 cents worth of advice - buy an already built and titled trailer. Do not buy a kit. Getting the damn thing titled (at least in PA) cost more the the stupid kit itself did, not to mention the hassle and wait to get plates.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.harborfreight.com/receive...ook-95594.html
Old 10-10-2011, 09:43 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut
I don't know if there is a tow hook to buy that fits into the standard hitch receiver or not but it would be very simple to make one. But why bother, I've had my car towed out of the grass (motor quit...fuel pump) by just hooking the tow strap onto the metal loop that the safety chains latch onto. Its plenty strong for almost all needs. An actual tow hook mounted in the hitch's receiver would be stronger though.

My 2 cents worth of advice - buy an already built and titled trailer. Do not buy a kit. Getting the damn thing titled (at least in PA) cost more the the stupid kit itself did, not to mention the hassle and wait to get plates.

Once you start looking around you find some really nicely put together tire trailers. One guy on here from NC I think had a beautiful one for sale that I saw the day after I got mine titled, finally, in PA.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:09 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one on mine
Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by argonaut

works for me

Get notified of new replies

To For those that have the trailer hitch.....

Quick Reply: For those that have the trailer hitch.....