Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snubbed by Gerald Jerry Thompson of Owens Corning Corvette Racing Fame.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:34 PM
jose1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Snubbed by Gerald Jerry Thompson of Owens Corning Corvette Racing Fame.

Please Delete Post/Thread thanks.---Problem solved,misunderstanding on my part.

Last edited by jose1; 11-08-2011 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

his choice screw him.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:34 PM
ccj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met Garth Stein the other day while he dropped by with some clients (for his philanthropic gig) to the local race shop while my vette was there. He was nice.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 PM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was at Barbers this past weekend instructing for BMW Octoberfest and met Bill Auberlin. We talked for 45 minutes. What a great guy. The worst person I have ever come in contact with is Lee Trevino. He is one pompous ***.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:51 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

In 1973, I met Nikki Lauda, Mariella, and Count Luca di Montezemolo in the Ferrari paddock at Watkins Glen, and took their pictures together. In 1974, ALL of them graciously signed those pictures for me (well, for my wife). In 1984, my wife and I worked the Dallas Grand Prix, and I took pictures of her with Nigel Mansel, who stood up, and put his arm around her (and took the time to talk with us). Later, in 1992, Nigel became World Champion, and I sent that picture to him. He graciously signed it to my wife, and returned it. We met MANY of the top drivers and personalities of the time, including Sterling Moss (multiple times), David Piper, Derek Bell, Rob Walker, Gilles Villeneuve, Brian Redman, Hurley Haywood, David Hobbs, Peter Greg, Bruce McLaren, Denny Hulme, Alain Prost, and Carroll Shelby, who were the perfect example of true RACE drivers. They ALL took the time to meet with fans and supporters, who were the lifeblood of motor racing. The game has changed, and today's stars are largely managed and unavailable to the motor racing public (fans). They are locked away in their motorhomes except for carefully managed appearances in support of their sponsers.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:12 AM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
The game has changed, and today's stars are largely managed and unavailable to the motor racing public (fans). They are locked away in their motorhomes except for carefully managed appearances in support of their sponsers.
While that is true of NASCAR, drag racing and ALMS are totaly different. The drivers are very acessable as long as they aren't working on the car (drag) or debriefing with engineers (ALMS)/:\
Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I crewed with Jerry when he co-drove Dick Boystan's Vette at Daytona in '74. Chris now owns that car and I had some pictures of it. I digitized the pictures and Emailed them to him with some questions to ask of his father. He didn't respond. It could be that Jerry is in poor health and Chris is protecting him, I don't know.
It was special getting to work with him and his crew, they know so much about making the car go fast and Jerry got my respect when he held the car in a drift coming under the starter's stand in the Tri-oval. I got a good look at it since I was the lucky (expendable?) one who got to go out past pit road and hold up the pit sign.
Jerry brought a couple of his GM friends to the shop after the race and we got to see a man do three quick colored pencil sketches of our car with three different color combination suggestions. He was a little, asian looking guy. Any guesses who and how much I wish I had those sketches?

Locke McCormick
North Florida Corvette Assn, NCCC
Jacksonville, FL
Old 10-19-2011, 01:25 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

had good luck recently.....http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ckeye-zo6.html honestly im amazed how many racers and other big shots will talk to me like i am one of the guys!!! Met Brock Yates Sr. and Jr. at beaverun a few years back ...Brock Sr. hung out with me in my pit for an hour we talked like old buddies...what an experience!!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:31 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Gerald Thompson, who is he?

lol, slightly rhetorical question to make ya feel better!
Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 PM
roger newman
Instructor

This is Paul Newman signing a poster I had from the early '80's in a 300Z.. He was pitted Two stalls down from us at SCCA Runoofs. I asked him some questions on Wednesday of the week and spent 45 minutes with him. He was as pleasant as can be and asked us more questions about our car and redirected lots of questions back to us. By the time Friday came of the week he was no where to be found for the rest of the weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Snubbed by Gerald Jerry Thompson of Owens Corning Corvette Racing Fame.

Quick Reply: Snubbed by Gerald Jerry Thompson of Owens Corning Corvette Racing Fame.