Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have some junk/used up 7420 pads laying around? I'd like some backing plates

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 10:47 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone have some junk/used up 7420 pads laying around? I'd like some backing plates

Looking for a spare set of 7420 backing plates to put in my front brakes when the pads get a bit low.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I have 2 used sets. Was planning on using all 8 as backing plates, but I might be able to spare a set if I can get some cut from 1/4" aluminum flat bar I have here at the shop.

Just placed my order with Wonger for some XP12's. Hope they work better than what I had.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

I have new pads on the work bench, but the pads I have now should work through Saturday but I'd like to get the pistons pushed back in some so LMK if you can spare some.

Oh and check the XP12s ASAP and make sure they fit. Last set I got the pad material was wider than the backing plate and I couldn't get them in the caliper. Set I just got will be close, but haven't test fit yet. The replacement set they sent me had the edges ground down. This set aren't, but the pad material doesn't flare out like the last set I got.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:34 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Will do. Thanks for the heads up.
Can you grind them to make them fit or do they have to be exchanged?
I seriously doubt what I have will make it through the weekend so I'll need to use the new pads if possible. I guess I could always throw the stock calipers back on if I had to.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Grind them... that's all Carbotech did to the replacement pads they sent me.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Oh and check the XP12s ASAP and make sure they fit. Last set I got the pad material was wider than the backing plate and I couldn't get them in the caliper. Set I just got will be close, but haven't test fit yet. The replacement set they sent me had the edges ground down. This set aren't, but the pad material doesn't flare out like the last set I got.
I had the same 'quality' issue with my XP12 fronts that required me to have them ground down to clear and properly fit the calipers. Odd.. that was a first. I hope they resolved that production issue.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:13 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Grind them... that's all Carbotech did to the replacement pads they sent me.
Is it safe to grind brake pads? I take it you have to wear a mask at least? I'd love to convert an old set of stock pads into bare backing plates to be used as spacers but I haven't gotten around to it; having that stuff airborne is just not that appealing.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:49 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
I had the same 'quality' issue with my XP12 fronts that required me to have them ground down to clear and properly fit the calipers. Odd.. that was a first. I hope they resolved that production issue.
Yeah I had just gotten SL6R front calipers so it was my first set. Had never had a fit issue with their pads for the OEM calipers. I posted up about it with measurements etc. HERE

Carbotech was great and sent me new pads, but it was clear that they had just ground down the edge. The set I got in a couple days ago doesn't have the edge ground down, but the pad material doesn't flare out like the last set. Most pads don't have the pad material going out to the edge of the backing plate, but Carbotech says they do that on purpose to give the customer more pad.

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Is it safe to grind brake pads? I take it you have to wear a mask at least? I'd love to convert an old set of stock pads into bare backing plates to be used as spacers but I haven't gotten around to it; having that stuff airborne is just not that appealing.
Good question... I didn't grind the last set. Carbotech exchanged them with a ground set. There's very little to take off. A belt sander would be ideal so you could get a uniform shape. I'd wear face/eye protection for sure.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Tourmgr1
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set if you still need them.
PM me your address and I'll ship 'em out.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have some junk/used up 7420 pads laying around? I'd like some backing plates

Quick Reply: Anyone have some junk/used up 7420 pads laying around? I'd like some backing plates