Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower Oil Temps with Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 04:15 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Lower Oil Temps with Radiator

Car is a stock C6Z06.

One of my track buddies says his oil temps dropped 20* when he added a larger radiator. Is this possible?

Recent track day with 60* ambient had my coolant at 217* and oil at 260*

DH
Old 11-24-2011, 06:10 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My temps where at 255*coolant and 290*+ oil before my radiator change. I probably dropped at least 20* on both.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:20 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Absolutely !! A quality dual core aluminum radiator such as a DeWitts or Ron Davis will do wonders for your cooling. Some have integral oil coolers, but for best cooling, I would recommend a separate stand alone oil cooler. I have a Dewitts radiator and a DRM stand alone oil cooler and can run all day at VIR in 100+ degree ambient temps. Extra cooling keeping temps at 270 for oil and 220 coolant.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
My temps where at 255*coolant and 290*+ oil before my radiator change. I probably dropped at least 20* on both.
That was a very high coolant temp

DH
Old 11-24-2011, 12:43 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Absolutely !! A quality dual core aluminum radiator such as a DeWitts or Ron Davis will do wonders for your cooling. Some have integral oil coolers, but for best cooling, I would recommend a separate stand alone oil cooler. I have a Dewitts radiator and a DRM stand alone oil cooler and can run all day at VIR in 100+ degree ambient temps. Extra cooling keeping temps at 270 for oil and 220 coolant.
Thanks

Yes there is no question bigger cooler = cooler temps.

The C6Z06 already has a large external oil cooler.

My question is wether adding just a larger radiator can lower the OIL TEMPS significantly ????

DH
Old 11-24-2011, 01:42 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I would not expect so, but it's possible. 260º isn't the end of the world btw.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I would not expect so, but it's possible. 260º isn't the end of the world btw.
Yes I know, 260* is fine but it was a cool day (60* ambient) and in summer it is in well into the 285 area.

DH
Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

That 255 coolant would make me start to worry.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Any other C6Z06 guys that put larger Radiators in that can report oil temp reduction..........

DH
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Howie, have you considered adding a bigger oil cooler? Don't you still have the sotck Z06 cooler? I don't know which would work better, but it seems like it might be higher value to add better oil cooling. I would be interested in other peoples opinions. I have been seriously considering adding a DRM oil cooler before adding a radiator.

Charley
Old 11-25-2011, 11:10 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

When I bought my car it was set up with a larger radiator and a seperate liquid/ liquid oil cooler. My oil has never been over 238 at the track and normal driving it is at cooant temp of about 200. I never ran the car with the stock set up and don't know how the liquid/ liguid set-up compares to a air/ liquid set-up, maybe others can chime in. Here is the link for the liq./liq. set up: http://208.109.215.220/files/laminova.pdf

Last edited by punz; 11-26-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: better link
Old 11-25-2011, 01:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
That 255 coolant would make me start to worry.
I get a red high coolant temp @ 254 IIRC, stock 45k mile radiator. I back off if I notice it above 235-40 ish, need more radiator.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Howie, have you considered adding a bigger oil cooler? Don't you still have the sotck Z06 cooler? I don't know which would work better, but it seems like it might be higher value to add better oil cooling. I would be interested in other peoples opinions. I have been seriously considering adding a DRM oil cooler before adding a radiator.

Charley
If possible I want to leave the oil lines as is. I think a different oil cooler will mean new oil lines

One of the guys at ACS told me he got a drop of 20* in oil by just doing a larger radiator. If so thats all I need to do

I'm just not sure I am buying it ?????????

DH
Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
If possible I want to leave the oil lines as is. I think a different oil cooler will mean new oil lines

One of the guys at ACS told me he got a drop of 20* in oil by just doing a larger radiator. If so thats all I need to do

DH
DH, was that guy in a Blue C6Z ?

He may have done a bigger oil cooler in addition to the radiator.

I have the DRM kit in my C5Z and last weekend with u saw peak oil temps of 243 and coolant 208.

Ed
Old 11-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by doveboat
DH, was that guy in a Blue C6Z ?

He may have done a bigger oil cooler in addition to the radiator.

I have the DRM kit in my C5Z and last weekend with u saw peak oil temps of 243 and coolant 208.

Ed
Ed

It was Garreth, just radiator, no oil cooler. But he does have ARE oil system ...... we didn't think that would cool oil when we were talking about it.

What size is your oil cooler compared to the stock one in my Z06?? Your oil was 20* cooler and your coolant was 9* cooler. But its summer time that I'm worried about. If my temps stayed like this in summer I wouldn't do anything.

And how come you haven't signed up for a free burger at WSIR with me ??

DH
Old 11-26-2011, 12:00 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Ed

It was Garreth, just radiator, no oil cooler. But he does have ARE oil system ...... we didn't think that would cool oil when we were talking about it.

What size is your oil cooler compared to the stock one in my Z06?? Your oil was 20* cooler and your coolant was 9* cooler. But its summer time that I'm worried about. If my temps stayed like this in summer I wouldn't do anything.

And how come you haven't signed up for a free burger at WSIR with me ??

DH
So, not quite apples to apples as the LS6 does not generate the HP / Heat that the LS7 would.

I have the C6Z oil cooler in my C6 LS3 Vert w/F55 (no factory oil cooler) and experienced a 20 degree drop on track vs no cooler. With the cooler in the summer (105 degree's @ Chuckwalla) if I ran in 3rd a lot I would still see 280 on oil & 220 on water.

In my C5Z I have the DRM "Track" version which is a Setrab 25 row cooler, I would estimate that this is a 40 degree reduction in oil temps vs a stock C5Z which did not come with a cooler. Hottest day I ran was @ Streets of Willow in 111 degree heat and I maxed at 265 oil / 215 water, most other cars were overheating both oil and water and went home by noon.

So, I would estimate that the DRM kit w/Setrab (model 625) would be worth a 20 degree reduction in oil temps vs the stock C6Z cooler and put you in the 250 max range. You have more oil with the LS7 dry sump so would take longer to heat up the 10Q, and then more heat to maintain the temp.

Gareths extra capacity would help as well, since it would take more energy to maintain the a higher oil temp. Not sure how much more his system holds vs your expanded tank.

One thing to point out is that in 50 degree temps your oil will not get above 155 degree's on the freeway. I loosely wrap my cooler in aluminum foil and will see 190 degree's when wrapped. Joe P and I have the exact same DRM kit and show the same temps. He was able to run double sessions @ ACS with his brother driving and he also maxed at 243 oil. In the past he would easily get to 300 if using 3rd gear and revving out.

I now watch oil pressure only on my HUD as my oil and water temp are well below concerning temps.

Now ask me about my "CRACKED" Front DS Rotor and the thump, thump,thump ride home ....

I will be East for the Dec track day, so although the free burger sounds good ...., maybe NJMP in December or PBIR in January 2012.

Ed
Old 11-26-2011, 12:08 AM
doveboat
Drifting

DH,

Have you done a Blackstone oil analysis ?

I sent my sample out today, with my lower oil temps I felt it should be ok to not change as often as when I would hit higher temps in my C6.

This oil has:

- 5 Track Days
- 3k Miles
- 62% Oil Life Remaining (as per DIC)
- Max oil temp was 265

I will share the analysis when I get the report. This motor (stock LS6 20 k miles) has never been on track without the DRM Oil Cooler. I am hopeful that it shows normal street type wear and will allow me to run 6 track days or so between changes.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Lower Oil Temps with Radiator

Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

So, not quite apples to apples as the LS6 does not generate the HP / Heat that the LS7 would.

I have the C6Z oil cooler in my C6 LS3 Vert w/F55 (no factory oil cooler) and experienced a 20 degree drop on track vs no cooler. With the cooler in the summer (105 degree's @ Chuckwalla) if I ran in 3rd a lot I would still see 280 on oil & 220 on water.

In my C5Z I have the DRM "Track" version which is a Setrab 25 row cooler, I would estimate that this is a 40 degree reduction in oil temps vs a stock C5Z which did not come with a cooler. Hottest day I ran was @ Streets of Willow in 111 degree heat and I maxed at 265 oil / 215 water, most other cars were overheating both oil and water and went home by noon.

So, I would estimate that the DRM kit w/Setrab (model 625) would be worth a 20 degree reduction in oil temps vs the stock C6Z cooler and put you in the 250 max range. You have more oil with the LS7 dry sump so would take longer to heat up the 10Q, and then more heat to maintain the temp.

Gareths extra capacity would help as well, since it would take more energy to maintain the a higher oil temp. Not sure how much more his system holds vs your expanded tank.

One thing to point out is that in 50 degree temps your oil will not get above 155 degree's on the freeway. I loosely wrap my cooler in aluminum foil and will see 190 degree's when wrapped. Joe P and I have the exact same DRM kit and show the same temps. He was able to run double sessions @ ACS with his brother driving and he also maxed at 243 oil. In the past he would easily get to 300 if using 3rd gear and revving out.

I now watch oil pressure only on my HUD as my oil and water temp are well below concerning temps.

Now ask me about my "CRACKED" Front DS Rotor and the thump, thump,thump ride home ....

I will be East for the Dec track day, so although the free burger sounds good ...., maybe NJMP in December or PBIR in January 2012.

Ed
Ed

From experience I know a couple extra quarts of capacity does not change the oil temps on track.

I used to run the Setrab on my C5.

Did the thump, thump, thump home once before

Too bad about WSIR. I wanted you behind me as I entered turn 8 so you could check for oil slicks ..........

DH
Old 11-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

DH,

Have you done a Blackstone oil analysis ?

I sent my sample out today, with my lower oil temps I felt it should be ok to not change as often as when I would hit higher temps in my C6.

This oil has:

- 5 Track Days
- 3k Miles
- 62% Oil Life Remaining (as per DIC)
- Max oil temp was 265

I will share the analysis when I get the report. This motor (stock LS6 20 k miles) has never been on track without the DRM Oil Cooler. I am hopeful that it shows normal street type wear and will allow me to run 6 track days or so between changes.

Ed
I was going to oil analysis. But the guys on BITOG said it was a waste until I had 10K miles on the car

Now that I am running Mobil0w40 I'm less concerned about oil. It gets changed with 2-3 track days.

DH
Old 11-26-2011, 07:04 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

DH
Because of the fittings, you will have to change the oil lines if you switch to either an aftermarket air cooler or a radiator with an integrated engine oil cooler. In the southern US (Texas) a lot of track duty C5/C6's are running a Ron Davis/Dewitts radiator while maintaining the stock air cooler. During the summer we regularly see +100* ambient temps. My C6 Z06 peaks at ~240/260 coolant/oil temps with this set-up.

Quick Reply: Lower Oil Temps with Radiator