Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 with ZR1 Hood no plexi aero questions

Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 AM
RD in SD
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 Z06 with ZR1 Hood no plexi aero questions

I have a 06 C6 Z06 with a carbon fiber factory ZR1 hood. I have not installed the plexi panel and want to use the hood at the track to relieve pressure and heat from under the hood. So my question is will a ZR1 hood with no glass in it provide increased cooling and down force.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 AM
RD in SD
Racer

What 68 views and no comments yet how can that be? No one has an opinion on this?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:51 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

post a picture of where it is located. I forgot.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:06 AM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RD in SD
What 68 views and no comments yet how can that be? No one has an opinion on this?
Be careful when you ask for "opinions". I'd rather have some constructive advice from a couple of guys who have experimented with aero than a bunch of opinions.

BTW how much less does that ZR1 hood weigh versus the Z06 hood?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

it's a bit far rearward to be optimum, but if you put a small lip in the front, it might work out. Take a look at my "recession aero" thread for my modified OEM hood (cheap craigslist find).

Obviously you don't want to ram more air in than you draw out, so I think a raised lip in the front is vital, AND you don't want to get so close to the cowl that you are drawing high pressure air backward into the engine bay
Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
it's a bit far rearward to be optimum, but if you put a small lip in the front, it might work out. Take a look at my "recession aero" thread for my modified OEM hood (cheap craigslist find).

Obviously you don't want to ram more air in than you draw out, so I think a raised lip in the front is vital, AND you don't want to get so close to the cowl that you are drawing high pressure air backward into the engine bay
Lip is required look at my hood in sig pics
Old 11-30-2011, 12:29 AM
RD in SD
Racer

It shaves 10 lbs.

Originally Posted by mcar00
Be careful when you ask for "opinions". I'd rather have some constructive advice from a couple of guys who have experimented with aero than a bunch of opinions.

BTW how much less does that ZR1 hood weigh versus the Z06 hood?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:26 PM
RD in SD
Racer

I checked out the pics but when you say small lip what did you have in mind quarter of an inch or what?

I have a gauge that measures inch pounds of pressure and was thinking of doing some before and after measurements under the hood to see if I can measure a difference. To give you an idea how sensitive it is I use it to tweak my ram air system and I show pressure at 5 MPH with it. Any thoughts on this?

I noticed all extractor hoods have multiple louvers that sit down below the level of the hood not a lip sticking up. So a bit confused about the proper design.

R
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

you can do louvers, but you get lots of small openings. Look at a factory C6R hood...one large opening extracts more air than a bunch of small ones if you can get all of the air to travel in the right direction.

I don't know how much of a lip, but I think you would want the lip (front of the hole) higher than the back of the hole.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
you can do louvers, but you get lots of small openings. Look at a factory C6R hood...one large opening extracts more air than a bunch of small ones if you can get all of the air to travel in the right direction.

I don't know how much of a lip, but I think you would want the lip (front of the hole) higher than the back of the hole.
But that big opening in the ALMS car (just like our GT2) is sealed to the radiator. It isn't just a big hole in the hood, it is actually routing air through a port.

Louvers by design create almost a suction force and draw the air out, in the event you do not have it sealed to something you want to pull the air from.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 with ZR1 Hood no plexi aero questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 Z06 with ZR1 Hood no plexi aero questions