Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter comparison GM truck size

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 02:46 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Oil filter comparison GM truck size

I found this on a truck forum & yes I know the filters are different for our cars, but GM tow trucks are in use I am sure. I found it interesting to look at. It seemed pretty scientific.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articl...lterstudy.html

Shocked by the ACDelco rating! I am sure the dealer has put a few of those on my 02 Suburban.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Fram got first place...
Old 11-29-2011, 04:02 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

K&N for me... keeps the oil pressure higher. Installed a M1 extended performance filter and the oil pressure at idle went down by over 10 psi.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
K&N for me... keeps the oil pressure higher. Installed a M1 extended performance filter and the oil pressure at idle went down by over 10 psi.
Wow, really.

I wish the guy had measured flow, is all. A filter that "filters" the best & kills flow in the process is not worth anything.

I use wix gold.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah... it was on my old Z06 with a LS4 high volume pump. Was getting ready to sell it and had an extra M1 filter laying around so I decided to use it vs. the K&Ns I normally had. I was used to seeing 47-49 PSI at idle (this was the original LS4 pump with the higher pressure relief spring), but after installing the M1 filter I was in the 35-36 range... it was odd. Researched on Bob Is The Oil Guy and read a bunch about flow and pressure etc. I the end I put the K&N back on and pressure went back to what I was used to seeing. It wasn't that mid 30s was bad... it was the sudden change from high 40s to mid 30s. Plus people on the oil forums kept telling me a filter couldn't change the pressure reading like that. I took before/after photos and everything. Now I just stick to a K&N filter and Amsoil's cheaper 10w40 for the racecar.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:24 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

10 years ago we payed money yearly to be an AC delco TSS shop. We stocked delco filters made corvette customers comfortable. I had a friend call me & say he found metal in the threads of his AC delco filter. I went to the shelf & opened 20+ filter boxes stock my finger in the hole & every 1 had metal from cutting the threads. I also have seen the better filters cutting pressure down. I assume by restricting flow.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

One thing I don't like about M1 is that the can is extremely thin material and easily punctured. Otherwise, the grade looks good.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:00 PM
testerdahl
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it's not exactly related to the oil filter comparison at the top of this thread, but I think the data and analysis in this Toyota Tacoma/Toyota Tundra oil filter comparison might be interesting to Corvette owners anyways. There are lots of photos, some hard data, and some interesting info on general oil filter design.

http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tundra...omparison.html
http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacoma...omparison.html

I realize it was created by a Toyota dealer, but it seems like they tried to be unbiased.

Anyways, I liked it.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil filter comparison GM truck size

Quick Reply: Oil filter comparison GM truck size