Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project ST2 Rebuild

Old 02-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Rednels
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to beat stock cars when you look at the cost to run them and the speeds they are capable of.....
Old 05-31-2012, 09:22 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't updated my rebuild in a while so figured I would update on my progress...

Things have slowed down as now I've gotten to the point where I will need to start buying some of the big items for the car in order to finish assembling it back together. I have taken off all the knuckles, shocks, springs and control arms. The control arms are getting Pfadt PolyE bushings in them and I replaced one of the arms due to a wheel cutting a deep grove into it when the car went full lock in the wreck. The T1 springs are pending sale right now and my Koni 3013 shocks will be for sale soon. That will make way for the new Koni 2812 shocks and VBP springs. Just saving some cash in order to buy those.

I've got all of my body panels that I need for the car except for a passenger side inner fender (the old one is too torn up for repair) and just waiting on ACP to build and ship my 4" splitter. I've got a wing picked out and should work very well, but haven't set a date on picking it up yet. So far, everything looks to be lineing up ok but will probably need some tweaking done once I get further in the process.

Still alot of little things to get finished up on it, but money is mainly the holdup at this point. I've decided that this year is a wash and just prep it to be ready to rock n roll for next year. I really debated on just getting it ready for PTA so I could get out on the track again sooner, but I still feel ST2 will have good fields in 2013 so that's the direction I ultimately choose. I'm chomping at the bit to get back out on the track again!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:25 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Not to rub it in or anything, but the PTA field next month at Road Atlanta is going to be huge. Folks from ST2 are bumping down to run with us. It should be a good show.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Folks from ST2 are bumping down to run with us.
Since you can now run headers/bolts ons on an LS6 in A, why not aero ST2 cars as well?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Not to rub it in or anything, but the PTA field next month at Road Atlanta is going to be huge. Folks from ST2 are bumping down to run with us. It should be a good show.
I saw that this morning... I'm really looking forward to seeing how that race weekend goes for everyone. I was surprised to see Rob bump down to run PTA with you guys. I know Tim has mentioned about possibly running PTA in his car but he's been MIA this year.

I doubt I could race much this year even switching back to PTA... but it's something I've still been keeping in mind.

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 05-31-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

It's gonna be fun... I hope my 245 scrubs can make the weekend

Unfortunately I think this unique to SE @ Road Atlanta. Nobody runs PTA in MA so I'll be racing ST2 in July and October at VIR.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I hope my 245 scrubs can make the weekend .
If you can't bring tires you better bring ***** cause Kevin has already said that he's bringing 2 sets of stickers.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think I will be at RA, I have been too busy and have not done anything with the car this year.

How can you bump down to PTA? I would like to but my car is not legal.

Tim
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Timz06
I don't think I will be at RA, I have been too busy and have not done anything with the car this year.

How can you bump down to PTA? I would like to but my car is not legal.

Tim
This is the setup I would be using Tim if I went down to PTA...

C5 Z06 = PTA* (+7)
Hoosier A6's 275mm (+9)
Quaife LSD (+1)
04 Z06 shocks (+0)
C5 Z06 stock springs (+0)
T1 swaybars (+2)
stock front brake calipers (+0)
C5 Z06 stock TI Exhaust and 02-04 OEM H-pipe (+0)

This would still let me run my CCW Classics so I wouldn't have to buy any wheels. I would have ditch my Wilwood's for stock brakes or I could run stock sways and run my Wilwood's since they are both +2.

Edit: We are waiting on to see if Nasa changes the rules on the tires for 2013. Once they make a decision on that, that could possibly change my direction on what I do with the car. Just wait and see right now.

Last edited by PushinTheLimit; 05-31-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can't bring tires you better bring ***** cause Kevin has already said that he's bringing 2 sets of stickers.
I'm using stickers for every session! Including 1 set to roll the car around on . But really if he has 2 sets of stickers I'll be screwed. I'll probably be going around the track like Scott was last time on those wooden tires from 1902. It made it entertaining for me though.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:36 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While it is true, it is to conduct some testing so I know what to do for Nationals. Besides, me on stickers allows me to keep Mark, Scott, Brian, etc. on scrubs almost in sight.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:50 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
I haven't updated my rebuild in a while so figured I would update on my progress...

Things have slowed down as now I've gotten to the point where I will need to start buying some of the big items for the car in order to finish assembling it back together. I have taken off all the knuckles, shocks, springs and control arms. The control arms are getting Pfadt PolyE bushings in them and I replaced one of the arms due to a wheel cutting a deep grove into it when the car went full lock in the wreck. The T1 springs are pending sale right now and my Koni 3013 shocks will be for sale soon. That will make way for the new Koni 2812 shocks and VBP springs. Just saving some cash in order to buy those.

I've got all of my body panels that I need for the car except for a passenger side inner fender (the old one is too torn up for repair) and just waiting on ACP to build and ship my 4" splitter. I've got a wing picked out and should work very well, but haven't set a date on picking it up yet. So far, everything looks to be lineing up ok but will probably need some tweaking done once I get further in the process.

Still alot of little things to get finished up on it, but money is mainly the holdup at this point. I've decided that this year is a wash and just prep it to be ready to rock n roll for next year. I really debated on just getting it ready for PTA so I could get out on the track again sooner, but I still feel ST2 will have good fields in 2013 so that's the direction I ultimately choose. I'm chomping at the bit to get back out on the track again!
Are you sure those T1 springs are ok after the accident? I'm kinda hoping so.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:18 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
I'm using stickers for every session! Including 1 set to roll the car around on . But really if he has 2 sets of stickers I'll be screwed. I'll probably be going around the track like Scott was last time on those wooden tires from 1902. It made it entertaining for me though.
Mad tyte dorifto style points are where it's at
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

I have tires, but don't have another set of wheels to put them on. Actually I have 2 tires and need to claim my contingency winnings from earlier this year. But what I really want to do are get through this PTA race on 245s and cash in for 275s so I can run those for ST2 in July and October. Not sure what I'm going to do... will probably just bring my two 245s unmounted in case I cord one.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:21 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I have tires, but don't have another set of wheels to put them on. Actually I have 2 tires and need to claim my contingency winnings from earlier this year. But what I really want to do are get through this PTA race on 245s and cash in for 275s so I can run those for ST2 in July and October. Not sure what I'm going to do... will probably just bring my two 245s unmounted in case I cord one.

For data collection, we really need you to race your 245 A6, half-aero setup so we can see how it stacks up in a race even if it is on scrubs. We know it is fast for TTA, but this is an unknown combination for PTA.

-Kevin
Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2 GTOs
Are you sure those T1 springs are ok after the accident? I'm kinda hoping so.
They should be fine... it didn't damage as much as I thought it did. Even all my control arms, tie rods, hubs, etc. look good and I don't intend to replace them. I wouldn't sell those to you if I felt like they were damaged.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
For data collection, we really need you to race your 245 A6, half-aero setup so we can see how it stacks up in a race even if it is on scrubs. We know it is fast for TTA, but this is an unknown combination for PTA.

-Kevin
Then you should all pitch in and buy me some tires BTW I never installed the full rear wing. Didn't want to bother with it until I do front aero and the wedding took more out of me that I expected, just didn't feel up to a major car project. I may dig into it after the July events and try to get it done before VIR in October. What I really need is for Greg to make A6s +20 to make my decisions easy.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:19 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Update: 8/20/12

I got two full days working on the car this weekend and made quite a bit of progress. I installed all the control arms back on the car with new Pfadt PolyE bushings... but they were a pain to get back on. We had to use a vise grip and c-clamps to wedge the lower rears back into place and then use my floor jack to slide them further into place. Once we got one, the 2nd went easier but still took lots of time. I installed all the knuckles with the hubs and I installed the Pfadt coilover shocks as well. I didn't quite finish any of them because each had their own issue...

Left front: Missing a lower spring bolt, will be picking up some extras this week
Right front: Couldn't figure out how to loosen the height adjuster on the shock to allow shock height adjustments. I didn't want to mess it up... figured maybe some of you guys on here might know the fix for this or I'll call Pfadt to figure out what to do.
Right rear: Upper shock bolts kept falling out. We can fix that, just didn't get time this weekend.
Left rear: Missing upper shock bolt... just have to get some extras for this as well.

We got the rear bumper back on so the car now has all the panels back on it except for the hood and front bumper. Next steps will be to finish up with the shocks and then start assembling all the components around the front and under the hood.

We were having some problems with the ABS leaking fluid, so I'm hopeing we didn't crack one of the lines from it. We'll be bleeding brakes soon so we'll know of there are any problems with that when we do that. The hood is ready to go on but we are leaving it off to make it easier to work on stuff up front. The front shouldn't be too bad I hope. It will also get a new paint job on it back to the orginal paint scheme it had before the wreck.

Also, big reason why we are making more progress than I expected is that I'm putting the car back together the way it was before the wreck. I had planned all along to do a full aero setup on the car and go run ST2 in 2013 full time and see how it goes. But the cost to get there and have a full prepped ST2 car is just too much for me to handle at this point in my life.

With that being said, the car will be finished hopefully by the end of October and I will race it one more time at CMP with Nasa in early November. I wanted to run it to make sure all the bugs are out of it and it is a solid, reliable HPDE/race car. After that, the car will be officially for sale. I hate to sell it, but I've decided to go another direction with my racing hobby.

In East Tn, there are a ton of dirt tracks around. There are at least 12 tracks within a two hour range of where I live and I've decided to give crate late models a shot. I grew up watching it and I've always thought I would like to drive one someday. Now is my chance. I know I can do that cheaper than what I'm doing now and this will allow some of my family to be more part of my racing... since the closest road course was over 4 hours away (Road Atlanta), they just couldn't travel to come see me race. Now they will be able to. That and other factors have made me chance my course of action.

Maybe someday I can get back into road racing... but for now, I'm taking my road racing experience to the circle dirt tracks and see how I can compete with those guys. I'm excited and hopefully I can start racing late models next spring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Project ST2 Rebuild