Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to Taiwan for 18 months :-(

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Moving to Taiwan for 18 months :-(

Well its official ... I have accepted an offer to move to Taiwan for 18 Months with my job ... Great for the career but going to miss the 10 + hpde events i have been doing each year. I think I will miss the NCM event but should be able to get a few in before I go .. Now I have to figure out how to store the Z for 18 months lol..
Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats on the new job. Nice opportunity to see some of the world. I know I would miss my car if I was gone that long. It is not good on these cars not to drive them. If you would like, I could swing by and get it every now and then and run it thru some laps at VIR. I would do that for for fellow forum member!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:00 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am in Taipei right now, I come here fairly often on business trips. What city are you moving to?

Tim
Old 12-18-2011, 05:40 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Timz06
I am in Taipei right now, I come here fairly often on business trips. What city are you moving to?

Tim
I will be in Taipei .... have been there 6-7 times myself ... I usually stay near 101 or at the Shangra La ...
Old 12-18-2011, 05:45 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by waddisme
Congrats on the new job. Nice opportunity to see some of the world. I know I would miss my car if I was gone that long. It is not good on these cars not to drive them. If you would like, I could swing by and get it every now and then and run it thru some laps at VIR. I would do that for for fellow forum member!
I know ... not sure what I am going to do without a car ... I am trying to figure out what to do with the car. I have a buddy who i trust who could take it out every couple months. Not sure if i should just let it sit for 18 months .. (properly prepared) A good jaunt at VIR would probably do her wonders :-)
Old 12-18-2011, 08:04 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats on the new job opportunity - I'm sure it will be an experience you won't look back at with regret. I wouldn't worry about the car. Mine sits around for most of the year and hasn't ever seemed to have had any ill effects.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 12-18-2011, 12:49 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Subdriver
Congrats on the new job opportunity - I'm sure it will be an experience you won't look back at with regret. I wouldn't worry about the car. Mine sits around for most of the year and hasn't ever seemed to have had any ill effects.
Cool...thanks have a few months to figure it out. Got to head to Germany Jan 3 for 3 weeks then the CMP NASA event 2nd week in feb so will just focus on that now ... :-)
Old 12-18-2011, 03:06 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Paul

We might be able to make some room in my garage, and even take it to the track for you. Cars need Exercise you know.

Tom
Old 12-20-2011, 11:04 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Paul

We might be able to make some room in my garage, and even take it to the track for you. Cars need Exercise you know.

Tom
Nice .... you will drive her only on weekends 3.27 miles at a time :-)
Old 12-20-2011, 11:09 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Subdriver
I wouldn't worry about the car. Mine sits around for most of the year and hasn't ever seemed to have had any ill effects.
I agree, mine sat for basically 7 yrs before I started flogging it

congrats on the new opportunity
Old 12-21-2011, 12:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Nice .... you will drive her only on weekends 3.27 miles at a time :-)
Of course, 3.27 miles and back to the same place every 2:10. only 20-30 min at a time too.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 12-21-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Why not have the car transported via container? There have got to be some nice mountain roads to have fun on out there...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:51 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
Why not have the car transported via container? There have got to be some nice mountain roads to have fun on out there...
Old 12-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Mountain roads yes..but a rally car with awd would fare much better!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't want to ship your Vette to Taiwan. You need to pay import taxes up to 60% of KBB value of your Vette. You need to pass very strict noise and pollution tests. And for Z06, you need to pay close to US$5,000 a year for various taxes.

I know this because I just ordered a 2012 Grand Sport Centennial and plan to import it to Taiwan next March. There are only 3 Corvettes in Taiwan now : an ZR1, a C6 Base, a 2011 GS.

Hit me up whenever you guys are in Taiwan.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:48 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by chsia
You don't want to ship your Vette to Taiwan. You need to pay import taxes up to 60% of KBB value of your Vette. You need to pass very strict noise and pollution tests. And for Z06, you need to pay close to US$5,000 a year for various taxes.

I know this because I just ordered a 2012 Grand Sport Centennial and plan to import it to Taiwan next March. There are only 3 Corvettes in Taiwan now : an ZR1, a C6 Base, a 2011 GS.

Hit me up whenever you guys are in Taiwan.
Wow thats insane. why would they tax the value of the car, or do emissions testing unless the car was staying there - i.e. as a sale? If its still a US registered car, none of that stupid stuff should apply...
Old 12-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

I haven't seen any corvettes in Taiwan, but lots of nice cars. This one was parked in front of my motel.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to Taiwan for 18 months :-(

Old 12-24-2011, 03:38 AM
chsia
Instructor

Wow thats insane. why would they tax the value of the car, or do emissions testing unless the car was staying there - i.e. as a sale? If its still a US registered car, none of that stupid stuff should apply...
Because Taiwan wants to protect its local auto industry.

The fuel tax is based on engine displacement. An Z06 being at 7L is more than the 6.2L ZR1/GS/Base.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:00 AM
chsia
Instructor

Originally Posted by Timz06
I haven't seen any corvettes in Taiwan, but lots of nice cars. This one was parked in front of my motel.

a

You stayed at a nice HOTEL - Regent Taipei much better than say Motel 6. Did you explore the neighboring restaurants and bars ? They are famous here.

The Lambo you saw had a Test license plate because it could not pass the fuel mileage tests to receive a legal plate so it got itself a Test plate allowing the car to be driven but with limitations. One limitation is it can not drive on highway without accompanying support vehicles .
Old 12-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Timz06
Safety Car

You have a good eye if you were able to tell that from the picture, or did the sign say Regent?

The Regent is a nice motel but the breakfast is always crowded with 100's of Japanese who do not watch where they are going.

I have tried a lot of different places in Taipei, and prefer to stay at the Shangri-La.

As far as bars and restaurants, I have gone to many, and find new places each time I go, but not much in the Zhong Shan area near the Regent. Maybe I am missing something?

Tim

Quick Reply: Moving to Taiwan for 18 months :-(