Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Track Results: FINSPEED !!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Oil Cooler Track Results: FINSPEED !!

FINSPEED OIL COOLER by Daniel Finke

As some of you know I have decided to protect my new LS7 with some cooling upgrades. Like most I find it disconcerting to see my oil temps between 280-300* after a hard track session.

Well I took a chance with one of our own Corvette Track brethren on his newly designed oil cooler. I am completely satisfied with the product both in its superb construction and its outstanding results. This is a plug and play unit. It fits directly to to the existing oil lines and mounting brackets.

Today I was able to test it out with my otherwise completely stock C6Z06. A few weeks ago I ran at Auto club Speed way with 60* ambient temps. Today I ran at a very similar high speed track, Willow Springs International raceway. Sessions were of equal time (25 minutes). I ran very hard, hard enough to get a new personal best.

Results

ACS: 60* ambient
Stock Oil cooler: 265*
Coolant: 217*

WSIR: 56* ambient
Finspeed Oil Cooler 242*
Coolant 212*

So not only did it reduce my oil temps it also lowered my coolant temps. So even though this cooler is thicker its advanced design seems to enhance air flow.

I know a lot of guys want their temps up during daily driving (mine were steady at 145* on freeway driving with the Finspeed). Well this new oil cooler was designed for the easy placement of fabricated piece to block airflow thru the oil cooler. Look for my testing of this piece very soon, next week hopefully.

In addition there will be testing of a screen mesh grill by Finspeed that should drastically reduce the amount of crap the gets thru the stock grill and fouls our oil cooler, ac condensors and radiator. Again look for testing in the near future.

[/QUOTE]

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 12-17-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 07:29 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

They look really nice! How about some pictures of the install? Is this taking the place of the stock cooler? Thanks, Howie
Old 12-18-2011, 10:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JDIllon
They look really nice! How about some pictures of the install? Is this taking the place of the stock cooler? Thanks, Howie
Jim

It sits exactly in the same place as the stock unit. It is thicker but maintains the correct space between it and the a/c condenser.

If you have seen the difference between a stock radiator and a Dewitts or Ron Davies you will have an idea of how much more robust this oil cooler is than the OEM unit.

The soon as I get the fitted piece that fits on the front of it to keep oil temps elevated during daily driving I will be taking some pictures.

Stay tuned for pictures and more data.

DH
Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Howie, How much was this? I was planning to order a DRM Race cooler in January....but, if this is more reasonably priced I would definately consider it. I wonder how it performs compared to the DRM race cooler?
Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Howie, How much was this? I was planning to order a DRM Race cooler in January....but, if this is more reasonably priced I would definately consider it. I wonder how it performs compared to the DRM race cooler?
Charley

This was an oil cooler not radiator. Wait and I'm sure Daniel will be posting prices soon. Also I would hold off on any Radiator purchase right now. I think there may be something in the works that will be available before the summer heat hits. I think we will be able to do ACS in the summer with temps low enough that our motors will not be stressed

When is your next planned track day. WSIR was a blast yesterday, I got a new PB .... 1:33.33

DH
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

The cooler is designed to work with the stock lines, or AN lines (pictured). It is a direct replacement for the stock C6Z, C6GS and C6 ZR1, and will mount using the stock mounting points. It is also a great upgrade for C5's, C4's or other applications.
I tried other coolers, and while they were an improvement over stock, I did not see the improvements I expected. Considering the expense, the performance and fit and finish were not what I thought they should be, so we decided to develop our own.
The unit sells for $585 and comes with a limited warranty and a panel insert for winter street driving.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great Daniel!
Old 12-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Just a note:

Although Daniel is showing the nose off the car the install does not require that for at least the C6. The radiator shroud needs to be pushed out of the way, then the oil cooler comes right out the top of the engine bay. Simple install

DH
Old 12-19-2011, 02:00 PM
0Finspeed
Former Vendor

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

FYI, right now these are selling faster than we can make them, so they will not be posted on the website. They are very labor intensive, made in blocks of five and we do one block a week, so if anyone is interested please call 660-263-0505.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Finspeed
FYI, right now these are selling faster than we can make them, so they will not be posted on the website. They are very labor intensive, made in blocks of five and we do one block a week, so if anyone is interested please call 660-263-0505.
Glad I got mine

DH
Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

From the picture I can't tell how much the airflow to the radiator is affected. Does all of the air going to the radiator go throught the oil cooler first? Or, is there a path for the airflow to go directly to the radiator?

Does anyone know how this oil cooler performs compared to the DRM race oil cooler?

Thanks,
Charley
Old 01-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We now know for a Z06, that for every 5 degrees change of oil temperature, we get a 1 degree change in coolant temperature under peak load conditions.
I wonder if it works both ways?

Last edited by Sidney004; 01-04-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
From the picture I can't tell how much the airflow to the radiator is affected. Does all of the air going to the radiator go throught the oil cooler first? Or, is there a path for the airflow to go directly to the radiator?

Does anyone know how this oil cooler performs compared to the DRM race oil cooler?

Thanks,
Charley
Charley

As you can see from the results the Finspeed cooler did not hinder the radiators performance. In fact my coolant temps were down slightly.

This oil cooler is OEM size except thicker. But has much better internal and fin design. It mounts right up to stock fittings and oil lines, no customization necessary.

Results

ACS: 60* ambient
Stock Oil cooler: 265*
Coolant: 217*

WSIR: 56* ambient
Finspeed Oil Cooler 242*
Coolant 212*

My coolant temps on the street are also not elevated. With oil temps around 150*

I will be trying the new Finspeed oil cooler adapter plate. Which slips onto the front of the oil cooler to see if I can get the street oil temps up while keeping the coolant temps normal. Hope fully will test it this weekend.

You gonna make it to Button Willow? You can check it out then.

DH
Old 01-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sidney004
We now know for a Z06, that for every 5 degrees change of oil temperature, we get a 1 degree change in coolant temperature under peak load conditions.
I wonder if it works both ways?
Hey sid, you gonna come down to Button Willow for first Corvette Challenge event?

I am very impressed with this unit. I used to run Setrabs on my C5 and this is obviously built much better. So when they get their radiators finished I will be getting one ASAP

DH
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Hey sid, you gonna come down to Button Willow for first Corvette Challenge event?
No, its outside of my AAA 200 mile towing range. Remember mine is old and pretty beat up. Looking forward to the addition of Thunderhill and Infineon to the Corvette Challenge.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:18 PM
MartyZ51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Finspeed
This cooler will also be a direct bolt on for 2008+ C6 Z51 manual cars. The oil lines are already there for the smaller stock cooler along with the 2 bolts on the passenger side end. The shroud is even the same as the ZO6 with the 2 bolt holes on the passenger side.

I just put a take-off ZO6 cooler on mine and I wish I would have waited.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MartyZ51
This cooler will also be a direct bolt on for 2008+ C6 Z51 manual cars. The oil lines are already there for the smaller stock cooler along with the 2 bolts on the passenger side end. The shroud is even the same as the ZO6 with the 2 bolt holes on the passenger side.

I just put a take-off ZO6 cooler on mine and I wish I would have waited.
I too had just replaced my stock one along with a new motor but got this one anyways. You can always sell the stock unit. That reminds me, I have to go sell mine

DH

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Cooler Track Results: FINSPEED !!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What is needed to make this work on a 2011 base model C6? I saw 275F yesterday at Inde Motorsports Ranch after a 20 minute session.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jon6.0
What is needed to make this work on a 2011 base model C6? I saw 275F yesterday at Inde Motorsports Ranch after a 20 minute session.
I believe you just need a set of oil lines

I'm sure Daniel will help answer this for you.

What were the ambient temps and what kind of track (high speed or tech)?

DH
Old 01-08-2012, 07:56 PM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I believe you just need a set of oil lines

I'm sure Daniel will help answer this for you.

What were the ambient temps and what kind of track (high speed or tech)?

DH
Mid 60's and 4000ish elevation.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Track Results: FINSPEED !!