Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Registering Trailer in SC...story

Old 01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember Scott is from NJ.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by johninar
Just remember Scott is from NJ.
So he's an ******* who likes to get his "GTL" on? (Gym, Tan, Laundry for those who've never seen Jersey Shore on MTV)
Old 01-07-2012, 09:07 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
You are right about these things...

4K vs 14K on the property taxes.
I lived in NY for about 6 yrs and it amazed me what it cost to live "up there". They are in your pockets all the time.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Greywolfe
Racer

I grew up in upstate NY and then moved down to Greenville, SC for my job 5 years ago.

Its so much cheaper to live down here and the winters (if you can even call it that) are warm and snow free!! Get to drive the Vette any time of the year!! and no more snow shovelling!!!

The DMV just sucks no matter what state you live in.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
LOL. Is it an 18' Kauffman?
Nope but post a location!

Jim
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I used to have friends here in NC that never tagged their trailers...just said they were borrowing them from friends in SC.

So if you have a trailer in SC an do travel out of state, is it required you get a tag now??? I realize you'd be asking to get pulled over regularly, but are you actually required to have a tag if you travel out of state?
Old 01-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I used to have friends here in NC that never tagged their trailers...just said they were borrowing them from friends in SC.

So if you have a trailer in SC an do travel out of state, is it required you get a tag now??? I realize you'd be asking to get pulled over regularly, but are you actually required to have a tag if you travel out of state?
I am trying to remember. I think it had to do with weight in SC. Over so much gross weight you need a tag. SC does not consider it a utility trailer when it has the potential to be so heave. I think that is what they told me. With trailer, car tools tires, beer, etc. I was going to be over the weight so I got a permanent tag.

Jim
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Ernest21
4th Gear

Default trailer with no VIN or title

Originally Posted by Painrace
I am trying to remember. I think it had to do with weight in SC. Over so much gross weight you need a tag. SC does not consider it a utility trailer when it has the potential to be so heavy. I think that is what they told me. With trailer, car tools tires, beer, etc. I was going to be over the weight so I got a permanent tag. Jim
I bought a Star Cargo (of Ga) trailer from a NC resident. He stopped using it when he moved from SC to NC. So, I have the bill of sale but no tag or title or registration, he had no title. Now DMV says I need a VIN number to get a permanent tag. To get a "special" VIN number, requires the title or manufacturer statement of orgin.
What can I do on this since I need to move some stuff in a couple weeks to help a friend move. Everything the seller told me checked out, SC does not require a tag or title or registration but we could get stopped without a tag in other states.
Thanks.

Last edited by Ernest21; 07-08-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Wow! That is ridiculous! And I'm surprised you don't have to register it.

I had to register my stupid 4x6 utility trailer and put a plate on it that I pull behind my Vette to track days.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Ernest21
4th Gear

I'm cornered by the rules in my state.
Trailer empty weight is 2,440 and under the 2500 that requires a tag.
In state use a tag is not required.
Out of state a tag is not required but will other states do what they are supposed to do (per a DMV agent who's spouse is a State Trooper) and honor our rules?
I got this trailer to do a few of jobs here and there so 80% personal use and 20% self employed income.
That 20% does require a tag.
There is a one time fee permanent tag for $75.
But, to get that tag we need the title. This was purchased without a title because:
a. the seller had lived in my state where no title was required.
b. our DMV said no title needed.

Trailer made is Ga. and if they did not require title then this trailer may have never been titled which means, I can not get a title in order to get a permanent tag.

Her last words to me (the DMV agent) was "don't get a permanent tag and drive is anywhere you want, all day long."

Not trying to jinx others in my state or cost them a few dollars, but if all states required a tag and title, I would not be in this endless loop.
Tag requires title, but there is no title so no tag can be applied for, but a tag is needed.

I was told that basically I can not use it, sell it or give it away due to no title and no title was based on a. and b. above.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:04 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first thing I thought when I started reading was, "why are you registering the trailer, why make things difficult?" Then I kept reading and thought, "WHY ARE YOU REGISTERING IT?" I want to know what dmv took you 3 hours to get through a line! Even the downtown dmv in columbia takes less than 30 and sometimes no wait! You must have been in there friday at 4pm....

Sorry you are new but sc is awesome when it comes to cars. You just have to learn the system. You sound like you are a step away from insisting on an emmission inspection. I have gotten stuck a few times at the dmv. If they tell you something won't work and you get in that loop either ask for a supervisor or leave and come back. There are some newbies that are dumb but most are like I don't give a fck and just let you do whatever. The other thing is forge the crap out of doccuments. They don't give a fck. I've forged so many signatures for crap just to get through the walls. It doesn't matter! That paper gets thrown away once they clear the thing through the system.

I always put 1 dollar as the purchase price too. Dont give them a cent of that sales tax bs. Most problems arrise from out of state stuff and if you find laws don't match go on the state website and find the law. Then show it to them and they say "good enough for me!"

If something doesn't seem right just ask one of us from sc and I can prob tell you the loophole. I've bought and sold about 30 vehicles in my life and I'm only 26. Also cops don't care 99% of the time. Just have dl and insurance and good to go. I have a rail buggy I made and register it as a beetle from where I got the parts. They don't care! I pay taxes for the registration and its insured. They don't care if they've gotten their cut. If it has headlights and brake lights its good to go in sc. Embrace the lackadazical attitude and just be ready to forge and then plead this is what the previous owner gave me. When they say its wrong just say well I don't know him and just met on craigslist. Walk out reforge the crap and come back next day.

Instead of "its a beautiful day in sc" it shoud be, who gives a flying fck, just pay your fees and leave please.

Ps: call the main dmv hotline too they are actually really knowledgeable and pleasant to work with.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Ernest21
4th Gear

Originally Posted by rithsleeper
The first thing I thought when I started reading was, "why are you registering the trailer, why make things difficult?" Then I kept reading and thought, "WHY ARE YOU REGISTERING IT?" I want to know what dmv took you 3 hours to get through a line!
I have gotten stuck a few times at the dmv. If they tell you something won't work and you get in that loop either ask for a supervisor or leave and come back.
Ps: call the main dmv hotline too they are actually really knowledgeable and pleasant to work with.
?
No one said I was in line for 1 hour much less 3.
I did speak to a supervisor.
I wanted the permanent tag for the trailer.
I was in no way (0%) trying to register it.
I need the tag because the trailer is not 100% for personal items.
I need manufacturer's statement of origin since no one has the title. They are no longer in business so getting that title substitute is unlikely.
No tag and carrying goods for pay = citation by NC police, and there are some cops who do GAF.
Personal goods being carried, then the SC rule on paper, in court gets past a NC citation.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest21
?
I need manufacturer's statement of origin since no one has the title. They are no longer in business so getting that title substitute is unlikely.
No tag and carrying goods for pay = citation by NC police, and there are some cops who do GAF.
Personal goods being carried, then the SC rule on paper, in court gets past a NC citation.
What if you went back to DMV another day & told them you built a trailer from parts (hint) and you need a tag for it.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:41 PM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
What if you went back to DMV another day & told them you built a trailer from parts (hint) and you need a tag for it.

Ding Ding Ding ..... we have a winner
Old 07-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Ernest21
4th Gear

Originally Posted by froggy47

Self built don't have a VIN number and to get a special serial number, on a self built trailer, requires receipts for the frame, steel, welding, etc.
---------------------------
We have two DMV offices in town and I once went to one and was told no, and drove to the other one and got what was needed.

If the workers cross work between offices I could get caught, but it is worth a try.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:02 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Self built don't have a VIN number and to get a special serial number, on a self built trailer, requires receipts for the frame, steel, welding, etc.
---------------------------
We have two DMV offices in town and I once went to one and was told no, and drove to the other one and got what was needed.

If the workers cross work between offices I could get caught, but it is worth a try.
Just sayin.

More than one way to skin a cat (whatever the heck that means).

I think if you Just "make it easy" for them to do what YOU want, It'll fly.

One of my old bosses had a saying, If you know the answer is not going to be what you want, don't ask the question.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:22 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

?
This is what I read "Back to SC DMV for another 2 hour wait in line" and "I tell them...after waiting in line for 3 hours...that the NJ DMV lines are longer than the ones in SC." I thought this was reffering to the time you waited at the sc dmv. Sorry I guess you meant the nj one on the second one but I don't see how the first one fits....

I see where you are coming from. When I reffered to registration it seemed like you were a bit annoyed at the entire process. I was more reffering to the whole process to give you a heads up that you don't always have to do things by the book here and thatif you ever feel something is dumb you probabally are making it harder on yourself than need be. Are there dumb laws here just like every state hell yea, but I've gotten away with stuff that friends from other states just turn their heads and say whhhhhaaat??? Its just a question of knowing the system and first step is finding loopholes and going to different tellers who are willing to share them. And then its how to fill out forms I.e. if you ever buy a car don't ever ever let the seller fill out anything more than their name and address. If they date it or put a sell price you have a limited time to register it and you pay lots of tax. Just wait to do it all at dmv.

Just trying keep you positive and I think you will enjoy the freedom once you start learning the tricks.

Get notified of new replies

To Registering Trailer in SC...story

Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Mine legitimately is a homebuilt, so all my mom had to do in MI to tag mine (permanently) was get it weighed. No titles/receipts/BS.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Mine legitimately is a homebuilt, so all my mom had to do in MI to tag mine (permanently) was get it weighed. No titles/receipts/BS.
I really can't see any dmv making you prove with receipts that you built a trailer. I suppose it's possible since they are government workers & don't answer to anyone.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:02 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
It also had to be inspected by DMV or local law enforcement - fact. I have never had to get one weighed.

Some jurisdictions will also stamp a serial number in the tongue. I've built and titled half a dozen of them. In Alaska they require an affidavit that you certify it is home made and some jurisdictions want some form of proof like a simple receipt for some parts. In Virginia they wanted local law enforcement to verify it was home built.

Think about it ... why would a state issue anyone a title to something with absolutely nothing? A titled vehicle has value and it is proof of ownership.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Registering Trailer in SC...story