Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corner weight compromise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacePro Engineering
. . . BUT, not in the way that brkntrxn was describing, where he adds approximately the same additional pressure TO THE SAME SIDE of the car. That will not change static corner weights.

I'm talking about 1 corner or diagonal corners.

Adding air the same in both tires will change the weight but doesn't typically change the "wedge".
Old 09-23-2012, 06:20 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Gentlemen,

I never said I put the same amount of air in each tire. Which is why I joked tht it was a trade secret.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:05 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Gentlemen,

I never said I put the same amount of air in each tire. Which is why I joked tht it was a trade secret.
Originally Posted by brkntrxn
At Roebling (clockwise), I run a couple of extra pounds of air in the left front and left rear to help with all of the sweeping, right-hand turns. ...................................

At Charlotte (counterclockwise), I run more psi in the right side tires. Again, very little of that has to do with tire shoulder rollover.
-Kevin
We were just going off what you typed. Looks/sounds like you put the air in the same side front and rear. That doesn't add/remove wedge it just increases the effective spring rate on that side of the car.
Wedge would be affect with changes to the left front and right rear or right front and left rear air pressures..
Old 09-24-2012, 12:59 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I did a lot of thinking about this while I was on the plane this weekend and here's what I came up with (I'll probably do a crappy job of explaining it).

I still say making wedge adjustments is best done with the spring(s) and not the sway bar. The sway bar is really a torsion bar since it ties together both sides of the suspension so obviously when one side is doing something, so is the other. While the same can be said of transverse leaf springs, the effect (crosstalk) isn't nearly the same as a sway bar. What you have to remember is that the bar itself has a spring rate, but it's mounted inside squishy rubber bushings so actually calculating the effective spring rate at the wheel would be nearly impossible.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the job of the sway bar is to control the weight shift, not to skew corner weight numbers sitting still on a scale pad. Let's say you disconnect all the bars and set the corner weights to 50%. Then you install a small OEM C5Z rear bar and preload the crap out of it to make the crossweight change to 48%. My gut tells me that the car isn't going to behave the same as it would if you set the cross to 48% to begin with and then adjust the bar to zero preload. It would probably be easier to test all this on a stock car that only turns left, but that's not what we're doing.

Quick Reply: Corner weight compromise?