Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Technology DL1 MK3 ??

 
Old 01-29-2012, 04:23 PM
  #1  
mountainbiker2
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mountainbiker2's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Burbank. CA.
Posts: 3,125
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default Race Technology DL1 MK3 ??

My friend and I picked up one of these a few weeks ago. We have the cable to hook up the OBD11 port. This is on a C5. We can't figure out how to read throttle position, wheel speed, steering angle, rpm, etc. What do we have to do to get this data?

thanks,

Steve A.
mountainbiker2 is offline  
Old 01-29-2012, 06:33 PM
  #2  
fatbillybob
CF Senior Member
 
fatbillybob's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,902
Thanked 102 Times in 77 Posts
Default

I think DL1 needed to be linked to individual sensors. It is the way to do a C5. The OBD2 protocol is all over the map prior to 2008. So I do not think you are going to get anything out of the c5 obd2 port. In fact The AIM guy went to the track and met up with Oli and gang to try to get data from there without success.
fatbillybob is offline  
Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 PM
  #3  
RX-Ben
CF Senior Member
 
RX-Ben's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: New York NY
Posts: 3,694
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I just run wires to the TPS, brake pressure, steering angle (x2 inputs and you will need to add math processing to these 2 inputs to get the angle) and oil pressure.
Have you called Al at Race Tech? He may be able to help, but as mentioned OBD2 cars aren't great for datalogging (vs the 06+ CAN cars).
RX-Ben is offline  
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 PM
  #4  
JerryTX
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: Keller TX
Posts: 763
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Did you get this figured out, I'm considering the same system for an 05' C6.
JerryTX is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:42 PM
  #5  
mountainbiker2
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mountainbiker2's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Burbank. CA.
Posts: 3,125
Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jerrytx View Post
Did you get this figured out, I'm considering the same system for an 05' C6.
My friend figured it all out for a C5. Yours would be different.
mountainbiker2 is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM
  #6  
RX-Ben
CF Senior Member
 
RX-Ben's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2005
Location: New York NY
Posts: 3,694
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Unless you have a CAN bus car, you still won't get steering angle or brake pressure from an OBD adapter. Cheaper and easy to pick signals directly from the sensors.

Also - you cannot read wheel sensor speeds through OBD II port (unless CAN). The DL1 can read this, if you buy a converter (Race Tech sells one, I found one for taxis that will work for $25/each but not useful unless you are fiddling with the diff).

C5 OBD II will only give you TPS, RPM, of the items that you listed.

Last edited by RX-Ben; 05-02-2012 at 09:19 PM.
RX-Ben is offline  
Old 05-28-2018, 11:49 PM
  #7  
matchew2008Z
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Obd-2 data

I'm resurrecting an old thread. I purchased a Dash2Pro late last year and am working to get it installed in the next month. I was hoping to take the easy way out on a number of items (oil p, water temp, rpm, etc) so I ordered the obd2 interface with it but can't get any of this data to the logger or to the live monitor. I hook up my Tech2 and I see everything I need but for some reason no can do with the obd2 that came from race tech any thoughts or help?

I'm going to assume I'm best off tapping into each sensor independently which is doable, just being lazy where I can. Not always smart to take the easy way out...

Thank you.
matchew2008Z is offline  
Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 PM
  #8  
[email protected] Motorsport
Supporting Vendor
 
Mark@AMT Motorsport's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: Clifton Park NY
Posts: 882
Thanked 126 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by matchew2008Z View Post
I'm resurrecting an old thread. I purchased a Dash2Pro late last year and am working to get it installed in the next month. I was hoping to take the easy way out on a number of items (oil p, water temp, rpm, etc) so I ordered the obd2 interface with it but can't get any of this data to the logger or to the live monitor. I hook up my Tech2 and I see everything I need but for some reason no can do with the obd2 that came from race tech any thoughts or help?

I'm going to assume I'm best off tapping into each sensor independently which is doable, just being lazy where I can. Not always smart to take the easy way out...

Thank you.
I have the same Dash in my car - you can't get anything from OBD2. We ran wires to all the factory sensors into the back of the Dash and it works great!
Mark@AMT Motorsport is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 08:24 AM
  #9  
matchew2008Z
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by [email protected] Motorsport View Post
I have the same Dash in my car - you can't get anything from OBD2. We ran wires to all the factory sensors into the back of the Dash and it works great!
Appreciate the response. That was a waste of $100!
matchew2008Z is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 09:42 AM
  #10  
RS-08C6Z51
CF Senior Member
 
RS-08C6Z51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Medina Ohio
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

With a DL1 and the OBD II connector, certain data can be logged and sent to the DASH2Pro. I have this exact set up in my car. RPM, water temp, intake temp and O2 are displayed and additionally throttle position is logged. Unfortunately oil pressure is not one of them but you can splice into the oil pressure sensor and wire into a separate channel on back of DL1. Below is link to potential OBD II output.
Hope this helps.

https://www.race-technology.com/wiki...OutputChannels

Data on video is from OBD II output.


Last edited by RS-08C6Z51; 05-30-2018 at 09:47 AM.
RS-08C6Z51 is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 AM
  #11  
matchew2008Z
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RS-08C6Z51 View Post
With a DL1 and the OBD II connector, certain data can be logged and sent to the DASH2Pro. I have this exact set up in my car. RPM, water temp, intake temp and O2 are displayed and additionally throttle position is logged. Unfortunately oil pressure is not one of them but you can splice into the oil pressure sensor and wire into a separate channel on back of DL1. Below is link to potential OBD II output.
Hope this helps.

https://www.race-technology.com/wiki...OutputChannels

Data on video is from OBD II output.

https://vimeo.com/266227495
It seems the difference is I don't have the DL1. I go straight into the DASH2pro, hoping to accomplish same/similar data as the DL1. I'm sure I'll get it to work, just need to put more work into it. Luckily I moved the PCM into the cab so retrieving the signals I need will be easy.

I'm curious, what all signals have you tied in? Any snags along the way that I may want to be aware of? I am still working my way up the learning curve as far as the software is concerned but the knowledge center is pretty good about how to configure things. The great thing about his forum, and an older car, is most have figured out the charts and the formulas for tying our sensors into a data logger!

Darn good video too. I've never been to Mid-Ohio even though I'm from NW Ohio. it's on the bucket list!
matchew2008Z is offline  
Old 05-30-2018, 02:15 PM
  #12  
RS-08C6Z51
CF Senior Member
 
RS-08C6Z51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Medina Ohio
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by matchew2008Z View Post
It seems the difference is I don't have the DL1. I go straight into the DASH2pro, hoping to accomplish same/similar data as the DL1. I'm sure I'll get it to work, just need to put more work into it. Luckily I moved the PCM into the cab so retrieving the signals I need will be easy.

I'm curious, what all signals have you tied in? Any snags along the way that I may want to be aware of? I am still working my way up the learning curve as far as the software is concerned but the knowledge center is pretty good about how to configure things. The great thing about his forum, and an older car, is most have figured out the charts and the formulas for tying our sensors into a data logger!

Darn good video too. I've never been to Mid-Ohio even though I'm from NW Ohio. it's on the bucket list!
Currently, I don't have any additional sensors connected to the DL1 inputs. On previous car I spliced into the stock oil pressure sensor and wired it into the DL1.

Mid-OH is a blast. You should definitely try and make it out there for an event.
RS-08C6Z51 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Race Technology DL1 MK3 ??


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: