Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sebring 1st time attendee info ALMS 12 hours race

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You know I'm in, I'll call in a bit.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:07 PM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I lived in Miami, my wife and I camped out every yr we went. We stayed away from the serious party areas but you can still hear them. No big deal and we had a blast every yr. One of my favorite things about camping out waking up and walking the track while the cars are doing early practice laps.

As for the Mardi Gras thing, Mardi Gras happens in and around New Orleans not Sebring 12hr. Just my opinion. There are alot of kids there around spring break though so I guess they think it is Mardi Gras too.

So jealous as We miss going every yr. You will have a blast, enjoy!!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:41 PM
jhester
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with the other comments made, I have never spectated at the 12-hour, but I would be either at 17, the hairpin, or turn 1 in that order.

Originally Posted by TLGunman
In the 1990's sunday's paper would not only carry the race results, but a body count of spectators killed doing stupid stuff (falling out of moving trucks, pinned against trees near a mud bog, etc.).
In 04 we were working on busting down the big rig when a guy fell out of the back of a moving jeep and died literally under 50 yards from our pits. We were pulling up kiwi tile under the police lights, Sebring is a special place.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
apexman
Racer

Oh, the weather can be iffy as well in Fla. so be prepared for a stray thunderstorm/rainstorm. I remeber one yr. right after the WC GT race I think it was, a big storm almost blew our tent away and we ran to the car. That was the only yr. I remember bad weather though.

Walking the track is a blast. Not staying at one corner is the way we liked to see the race. Liked walking from turn 6 to the hairpin and down to turn 10 the best I think. The break zone at 17 is great also. Really not a bad place to see it so you wanna walk it back and forth. Seems like I remember cars going off into and thru turn 10 and turn 5.

Last edited by apexman; 02-10-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 PM
cebars
Pro

Any golf carts for rent at track to get around instead of walking...like Road America?
Old 02-11-2012, 11:15 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by cebars
Any golf carts for rent at track to get around instead of walking...like Road America?
1 800 385 1385 is the pic showing on sebring site, might be worth it

Old 02-11-2012, 11:20 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

anyone have official schedule for the race or know when it will be released???

also which of these would be ideal assuming could possibly camp at these spots???
looks like north paddock would be closes to showers at least. not sure i would enjoy the party til 5am people in green park, although looking to have a blast but do like to get some sleep

North Paddock Car Parking

Reserved Trackside Parking (View PDF to see map)

Gate 3 Car Parking (Pink Section - See Track Map)
Old 02-12-2012, 12:45 AM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A golf cart kind of limits what you can do. There is plenty of time to cover the entire place on foot, no need to hurry.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:51 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
anyone have official schedule for the race or know when it will be released???

also which of these would be ideal assuming could possibly camp at these spots???
looks like north paddock would be closes to showers at least. not sure i would enjoy the party til 5am people in green park, although looking to have a blast but do like to get some sleep

North Paddock Car Parking

Reserved Trackside Parking (View PDF to see map)

Gate 3 Car Parking (Pink Section - See Track Map)
http://www.americanlemans.com/files/...t_Schedule.pdf
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

thanks sucks that the world challenge race isnt happening as well wanted to see the caddys run
Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

1 800 385 1385 is the pic showing on sebring site, might be worth it
They don't allow the rental carts in Green Park, so if you camp there, you're out of luck. You really won't need it though. If you get tired, just ask to ride in the back of a pickup. 99% will let you on, and 85% of the vehicles cruising are trucks. The only part that sucks if you need to lug ice to your camp, but you can have it delivered pending where you camp, or again, you'll be able to find someone to help you.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:23 PM
nrt69
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hehehe....Sebring first timers.

no showers that i can remember (which isnt much as mentioned below) and ive been there 3X. forget about the golf cart and any sleep you think you will get. You probably wont want to use the restrooms.

Caffeine (or other suitable stimulant), and aspirin. You'll need both.

Set your DVR to record the race, you won't see/remember much.
If you plan on drinking heavily, you might want to add mace and/or vaseline if you attempt to navigate the infield at any point, but especially after dark. If you dont plan on drinking heavily, start planning on doing just that and throw every other plan out the window.

DONT TOUCH ANYTHING OR ANYONE. Seriously.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by nrt69
hehehe....Sebring first timers.

if you attempt to navigate the infield at any point, but especially after dark. If you dont plan on drinking heavily, start planning on doing just that and throw every other plan out the window.

DONT TOUCH ANYTHING OR ANYONE. Seriously.

WTF do i need to watch out for gangs or something?? more explanation needed
Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

WTF do i need to watch out for gangs or something?? more explanation needed
NO, but some people get dirtier than others after drinking all day...and they may just borrow their food and drink and you never know where they've returned it to...so that's why you watch who and what you touch. I've never had a problem, although I've had to watch where I step.

Originally Posted by nrt69
no showers that i can remember (which isnt much as mentioned below) and ive been there 3X.

There are showers...I'd suggest wearing sandals though. There are at least 3 locations. I've been told the ones south of the pits in the paddock has hot water, the others may not. It also seems to stay cleaner. Luckily I've never had to deal with those.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by shakedown067
NO, but some people get dirtier than others after drinking all day...and they may just borrow their food and drink and you never know where they've returned it to...so that's why you watch who and what you touch. I've never had a problem, although I've had to watch where I step.

oh yeah i am sure there is people who get dumb and think they got beer muscles once they booze is flowing, i usually try to avoid that drama so should be ok
Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Yeah I've never had any issues and I've been going for over 10 years now. You're going to have a blast...expect to be HOOKED!
Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM
nrt69
Instructor

I was being funny/sarcastic. if youve never spent time with my fellow central FL rednecks before...yer in for a real treat.

youll have fun.

Get notified of new replies

To sebring 1st time attendee info ALMS 12 hours race

Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
LJD51
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Eastern NC; Retired x 2 (US Army: 70-90 AD) (US Army: 91-16 DAC); yea, I'm old.
Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

todd will get in touch tomorrow!

sure you had a heck of a good time @ 24 hrs but sounds like sebring is a whole different atmosphere and no where like the road america campers LOL
In '07, we did the parade lap at 7:30 am on Friday and there was a guy passed out in a beach chair in the back of the Penske rental truck backed up to the fence...I think I have it on video somewhere.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:14 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

LMAO sounds like ALOT of only at sebring events haha
Old 02-15-2012, 08:41 PM
nrt69
Instructor

In '07, we did the parade lap at 7:30 am on Friday and there was a guy passed out in a beach chair in the back of the Penske rental truck backed up to the fence...I think I have it on video somewhere.
just one?

Quick Reply: sebring 1st time attendee info ALMS 12 hours race