Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totally and permanently removing traction control and active handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by krisa9977
Disconnecting steering wheel position sensor(above bake pedal) will permanently turn active handling off, but you still be able to turn on and off traction control system.
anyone else able to use this info and have it work?
Old 07-13-2013, 03:01 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by X25
Moreover, you can also see the max pressures you hit with your tire and see if you're overheating them, or if you need more or less air.
So if I understand - you propose that a tire's ideal temp range that after confirmation by initial pyrometer testing can be indicated by the TPMS reading using the conversion factor quoted?
Where (((T hot - T cold)/.7)10) + T ambient = T tire. Such that if a tire started @ 24 psi cold @ 75*F in the pits and was reading 30 psi hot on track should be at 160*F? I too am curious if you mean core or tread temps and what that difference might mean. This conversion factor must also have a moisture relation too such that what works in Seattle might not be the same in the dry southwest? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:21 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by steve J06
So if I understand - you propose that a tire's ideal temp range that after confirmation by initial pyrometer testing can be indicated by the TPMS reading using the conversion factor quoted?
Where (((T hot - T cold)/.7)10) + T ambient = T tire. Such that if a tire started @ 24 psi cold @ 75*F in the pits and was reading 30 psi hot on track should be at 160*F? I too am curious if you mean core or tread temps and what that difference might mean. This conversion factor must also have a moisture relation too such that what works in Seattle might not be the same in the dry southwest? Thanks.
The pressure increase in your tires is purely caused by the air getting hotter. The tires are certainly not shrinking when they get hot, and they are not getting much bigger (though they do flex and increase the volume a tiny bit), neither do you get more air from another source, so all the work for the increased pressure is coming from the hotter air. Applying the ideal gas law reveals a calculation like you stated above.

In fact, I did not even come up with the formula myself, Michelin did
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nd_Feeding.pdf

Check out page 6.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM
CyberGS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dapopa9
anyone else able to use this info and have it work?
Mikeymu let me know via PM that it is working for him. I removed the lower dash panel and looked under there today and am not sure which connector I am supposed to unplug tho' - does anyone have a pic of which one to disconnect?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I have what should be a production box here. I'm going to install it on my car and test this week with it.

Lou and the vendor are working together on final production and pricing layout.

What it would let you do is completely run the car without TPMS, but leave it programmed for your street wheels, and use it by unplugging the box if I am understanding everything correctly. The other cool thing is setting the default mode (TC off/ Comp Mode/ TCAH off) when the car starts so you don't have to screw with the button or remember to turn the system on or off.

At any rate, when everything is finalized I will have pictures and pricing up for everyone.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:17 AM
CyberGS
Instructor

FYI, a whole new thread was started by mikeymu after he disconnected the steering sensor and tracked the car. I didn't realize this until he emailed me a link this evening.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-defeated.html

also called and talked to Anthony earlier today (before I realized he replied here) about disconnecting the steering sensor and he noted it was a problem on the ZR1s or 2012+ Zs with PTM control and the thread linked here confirms this, so if you have PTM you still have other things to consider such as waiting for the LG "box". For those of us with the "regular" traction control and AH, disconnecting the steering sensor appears to work.

Apparently another option is to just pull the fuse on the AH which also disables ABS - I am going to try this first. I am not a big fan of anything F'ing with me on the track and while the ABS was a non-issue on my one track day thus far with my "new to me" Carbon, a Ford I had a few years back was horrible with the ABS, so much so I would scream at it periodically as there was just no modulating hard braking. However, if you pulled the fuse, it also disabled (I think) the fuel pump or something else that was wired in so the car would not run without the ABS So I didn't think to try it on the Vette.

Knowing that I can leave a fuse in for daily driving (so if I have an accident insurance won't deny a claim because ABS was disabled) and then just remove it for a random track day with track wheels is definitely the easiest and simplest solution for me if it works. That is a 5 second fix
Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Release coming shortly......
Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM
juicedz06
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

so does the canister in car work although the wheels arent spinning? doing a drag set-up on my zr1, rear tires will be aired down to 15psi or so at the track even if I could get sensors in the wheels it'd be an issue.

I'd think the canister wouldnt for work longer than 30 min or so without the wheels spinning like previously said...

thought on my old zo6 I just unplugged an abs wire to avoid the chance of the brake control module whacking out and applying the brakes....
Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Zr1lsx
so does the canister in car work although the wheels arent spinning? doing a drag set-up on my zr1, rear tires will be aired down to 15psi or so at the track even if I could get sensors in the wheels it'd be an issue.

I'd think the canister wouldnt for work longer than 30 min or so without the wheels spinning like previously said...

thought on my old zo6 I just unplugged an abs wire to avoid the chance of the brake control module whacking out and applying the brakes....
Yup it works all day. I use a PVC "can" just remember to open the valve when you press everything together with the glue
I think LG has released the TPMS delete box. I like the LG box's feature of starting the car in the mode you left it in.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:57 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Has anyone used the pipe can with a master battery disconnect switch, I have an 05 set up for track days and when I use the disconnect switch, the TPMS looses the programming of the sensors, which would mean I would have to use the programming tool each time I disconnected the battery and I'm not sure if the programming can be done with the sensors in the can???

Any thoughts???
Old 06-14-2017, 04:04 PM
carefulnow
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
Has anyone used the pipe can with a master battery disconnect switch, I have an 05 set up for track days and when I use the disconnect switch, the TPMS looses the programming of the sensors, which would mean I would have to use the programming tool each time I disconnected the battery and I'm not sure if the programming can be done with the sensors in the can???

Any thoughts???
Try asking these guys if they can do this:

http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com/ind...mart&Itemid=54
Old 06-14-2017, 04:04 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05C6GAC
Doesn't make sense to me; I can replace my battery or have a very dead battery and not have to re-register my TPMS.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 PM
dapopa9
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Just pull the steering wheel sensor...takes about 5 minutes and AH will be disabled

Quick Reply: Totally and permanently removing traction control and active handling