Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EOC / TOC radiator for tranny and differential?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default EOC / TOC radiator for tranny and differential?

Wanting to cool down my tranny & differential, so need opinions here.

I have been tracking my 08 C6 manual for 4 years now. 3 yrs ago, I installed an C6 Z06 oil cooler in front of my radiator and saw my oil temps drop from 315 F to 270 F. I then hooked up an Accusump, locating the solenoid and pressure switch in the left rear wheel well. I now want to cool both my tranny and differential but do not have room to do both in the back. Plus air flow is limited in the rear. I am now thinking about buying a Dewitts or Ron Davis radiator with both engine oil cooling and tranny oil cooling capabilities. Couldnt I pump both the manual tranny fluid and differential fluid forward into this radiator? I know the viscosity of the differential may be pretty thick, so I may have to either install a temp. controlled valve or install a valve that I could toggle open once this fluid is warm enough to flow.
Has anyone used a good race radiator with both EOC and TOC for the transmission and differential?
Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 AM
frankgtb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gm engineer at carlisle told me diff and trans should run cooler if i remove the rear diffuser so i did
Old 04-21-2012, 08:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

What Trans and diff fluids are you running?

put in a very good synthetic ATF, and synthitic gear oil ( M1, Amsoil, RedLine ) and you will see temp drops.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
Wanting to cool down my tranny & differential, so need opinions here.

I have been tracking my 08 C6 manual for 4 years now. 3 yrs ago, I installed an C6 Z06 oil cooler in front of my radiator and saw my oil temps drop from 315 F to 270 F. I then hooked up an Accusump, locating the solenoid and pressure switch in the left rear wheel well. I now want to cool both my tranny and differential but do not have room to do both in the back. Plus air flow is limited in the rear. I am now thinking about buying a Dewitts or Ron Davis radiator with both engine oil cooling and tranny oil cooling capabilities. Couldnt I pump both the manual tranny fluid and differential fluid forward into this radiator? I know the viscosity of the differential may be pretty thick, so I may have to either install a temp. controlled valve or install a valve that I could toggle open once this fluid is warm enough to flow.
Has anyone used a good race radiator with both EOC and TOC for the transmission and differential?
Just install a tranny cooler and you should be fine. Use a good synthetic gear oil in the diff.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:00 PM
frankgtb
Instructor

gm engineer at carlisle told me diff and trans should run cooler if i remove the rear diffuser so i did
Old 04-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

You might speak to the folks at Doug Rippe Motorsports (DRM) for your specific application (no room on one side). A lot of Forum members use their cooling systems for the diff and trans, including me. The location of the heat exchanger is not important; you don't need airflow for a stock powered car, you just need to get the hot fluid out of the case and into a heat exhanger. BTW, wrapping the exhaust pipes, and trying various types of high end synthetic fluid didn't do squat to fix my overheating problems.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 PM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run DRM trans and diff coolers and he has a well thought out, effective system. Give Randy a call-- he's great and very helpful by phone and can help you to figure out what will work for your needs.

Get notified of new replies

To EOC / TOC radiator for tranny and differential?

Quick Reply: EOC / TOC radiator for tranny and differential?