Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 early style drop in fuel pumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 10:04 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,200 Posts
Default C5 early style drop in fuel pumps

Does anyone have options for a "drop in" fuel pump for the early style C5 fuel systems with the pump on the bottom of the DS tank? It seems the company that was making the plastic buckets has stopped making them which made the drop in kits more of a fabrication project. I think kits for later style systems are available.

I'm seeing a "DeatschWerks 450 brushless" is a good option to use within the stock plastic bucket? I remember doing this with my old LT1 Camaro having to remove the stock pump and swap in a new pump to the stock bucket.

This is preparation for getting heads ported and running E85. Injectors will also be going in.

Any links would be helpful. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2023, 10:43 AM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 409 Likes on 327 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

Subscribed for answers!
Old 02-20-2023, 02:01 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

I'm not very versed in fuel systems but I called DeatschWerks and immediately says they have nothing for this application. Something due to "the venturi being at the bottom of the pump on the inlet" vs the venturi being at the top???

The suggestions he had was maybe Lingenfelter has/had something, convert to a return style system (if I heard him right), or convert to later style tanks.

Calling @Tusc and @Mr. Black I know you both have some good builds going on. What did you do for fuel supply?

Last edited by smitty2919; 02-20-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2023, 03:12 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Ayoooo

I'm not versed in current market products which I'm sure have changed. LPE for example no longer lists their modified Walbro 255lph which ran at higher voltage - and which is in my coupe currently.

Are you trying to create a return style system? That's a whole other ball of wax.

If you're just trying to max your factory assembly with a better pump search through here to see which Walbros will fit/work with the factory tub.

Typically... you're going to need an oetiker plyer or one of those wide nose cutters (plyers but sideways if that makes sense) to connect some oetiker clamps on to whatever new line/pump you install.

The work is actually EASY. I just hate working around fuel anything. IIRC the only annoying part is carefully prying at the tabs on the whitish tub with a small thin flat head to get it free of the assembly. The rest is absolutely straight forward. Just uh.... don't eff up the fuel level sending unit. You can unplug the dial portion to get easier travel to get the assembly out of the tank, but I do not recommend ever removing the arm from the main sensor. The tiny metal tabs which ride on the sensor face snap or fall off very easily and bang.... $150 for new sensor if you can find the correct one. Also, GM changed the part number sometime in the last five years and the new part reads the dial voltage BACKWARDS which is how the C6s are but won't work on C5s.

340lpn, 430lph, 450lph all will be a lot more than you'll need even on a basic blower setup. Until / unless you start pushing for more power or get into an Ethanol option. May as well choose a pump which can work and flow for future needs since you're doing the work right?

Don't neglect adding a new filter in-line.

As for venturi... the venturi is in the PASSENGER tank. I have never looked at my early one, only the one on the 03 and only because I was going return-style and the whole passenger side venturi assembly is where the factory FPR is mounted for 03 which I had to remove and replace with an LPE adapter. I *believe* some of the early cars such as 97? 98? May have had the factory FPR up on the rail....? Not certain.

Edit: Need a KB BAP? I've got one I cut out of the Z06. Box is intact, just needs to be rewired at install.
Old 02-20-2023, 04:28 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tusc
Ayoooo

I'm not versed in current market products which I'm sure have changed. LPE for example no longer lists their modified Walbro 255lph which ran at higher voltage - and which is in my coupe currently.

Are you trying to create a return style system? That's a whole other ball of wax.

If you're just trying to max your factory assembly with a better pump search through here to see which Walbros will fit/work with the factory tub.

Typically... you're going to need an oetiker plyer or one of those wide nose cutters (plyers but sideways if that makes sense) to connect some oetiker clamps on to whatever new line/pump you install.

The work is actually EASY. I just hate working around fuel anything. IIRC the only annoying part is carefully prying at the tabs on the whitish tub with a small thin flat head to get it free of the assembly. The rest is absolutely straight forward. Just uh.... don't eff up the fuel level sending unit. You can unplug the dial portion to get easier travel to get the assembly out of the tank, but I do not recommend ever removing the arm from the main sensor. The tiny metal tabs which ride on the sensor face snap or fall off very easily and bang.... $150 for new sensor if you can find the correct one. Also, GM changed the part number sometime in the last five years and the new part reads the dial voltage BACKWARDS which is how the C6s are but won't work on C5s.

340lpn, 430lph, 450lph all will be a lot more than you'll need even on a basic blower setup. Until / unless you start pushing for more power or get into an Ethanol option. May as well choose a pump which can work and flow for future needs since you're doing the work right?

Don't neglect adding a new filter in-line.

As for venturi... the venturi is in the PASSENGER tank. I have never looked at my early one, only the one on the 03 and only because I was going return-style and the whole passenger side venturi assembly is where the factory FPR is mounted for 03 which I had to remove and replace with an LPE adapter. I *believe* some of the early cars such as 97? 98? May have had the factory FPR up on the rail....? Not certain.

Edit: Need a KB BAP? I've got one I cut out of the Z06. Box is intact, just needs to be rewired at install.
I'm just wanting to upgrade the stock fuel pump. Basically replicating this:
https://www.lingenfelter.com/pdf/c5f...structions.pdf

Looks like the LPE kit used this (no longer available).
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpn-grj420p

I came across Radium has venturi solutions:
http://www.radiumauto.com/Venturi-Je...-Kit-P760.aspx

Digging some more, wouldn't something like this pump and install kit be a "drop in"?
https://www.racetronix.biz/p/255lph-...me-e85/rxp255e
https://www.racetronix.biz/p/c5-fuel...rness/fpwh-007 ... Or go up to a 340LPH

Last edited by smitty2919; 02-20-2023 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2023, 07:57 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

This is what I had in mind:
​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Tusc (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 11:32 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Received 390 Likes on 318 Posts

How about this kit?

https://www.autoperformanceengineeri...l/c5_pump.html
Old 02-22-2023, 01:06 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Good find! I'll need to confirm if 255 is adequate for possible E85 conversion.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:19 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Product looks good.

But the write up it gives about a contract and whatnot sound.... interesting. I'm pretty sure all the Walbro 255lph would work dimensionally speaking. I happen to have installed 3 from 2 different vendors. Racetronix for whatever reason delivered me one such upgraded voltage unit DOA. The second one ran but even with strong ground and power and a BAP it nosed over at 4000rpm on the dyno. I went to LPE which offered the same product but not done by Racetronix, plugged it in and it has run perfectly as advertised since Day 1 and remains in my daily. So their story makes me wonder.

But yes, good looking kit which allows you to do half the work outside the car and clean before connecting it to the OE sending unit.

More expensive than just putting the pump in yourself though. Aren't they still just $90 or so?

Edit: I *MAY* still have a NIB(ag) seal kit kicking around in my shop box if needed.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:43 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

I'm pretty convinced that this should be as simple as finding a 340LPH pump with the same overall dimensions as the stock one (38mm body dia IIRC) and it will work in the stock bucket.

Technically I don't NEED a new bucket and hat...but never hurts to have a spare if something happens.

It's easier to find a stock replacement or a ball to the wall dual pump kit for 1000hp lol.
Tusc (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 01:57 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

You can easily set up an external with the push/pull combo as mentioned above. The pumps are the cheap part. It's when you go custom return style and all the lines and fittings that it gets pricy. Doubly so if you're odd like me and follow Bret's advice (which is wise for the 2003.5+ C6 metal crossover tube style fuel tanks!) and decide to make those black internal crossover lines external with bulkheads.

Magnafuel has good AFPRs if you're seeking.
Old 02-22-2023, 06:00 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

I am not affiliated with APE in any way, but I have bought kits from him for many vehicles for over the last 15-20 years. Always right, always top notch quality.
The following 2 users liked this post by JHrinsin:
smitty2919 (02-23-2023), Tusc (02-22-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:15 AM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Good find! I'll need to confirm if 255 is adequate for possible E85 conversion.
Not sure a 255HP will pump enough volume for E85, you may need to go with a 340 L/hr or 400 L/hr pump, depending on your HP level.
Tusc (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 12:10 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Also if you plan to run a flex fuel or E85 setup, make sure that the which ever pump you are looking at is actually rated and approved for use with E85. Please note that most pumps are not. Here are some that Walbro says are rated specifically for higher HP use with E85;

https://walbrofuelpumps.com/e85-comp...uel-pumps.html
Old 02-23-2023, 04:13 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Yes, the pump will need to flow and be capable of E85. Which is why a 340lph is my main focus. I'm waiting to hear back from Racetronix. I'm OK with piecing together all the parts needed if I have to.

Pump
pump to hat harness
new corrugated flex tube
sock
hotwire kit

Just want to confirm with them that I'm not mossing anything on pump design/selection that makes the early style C5 systems such a pain to find a kit for. If they are no longer "kits" simply because no vendor can source plastic buckets then I fine, I'll reuse my stock one.

I also have a reminder to call AEM as well for options.
Tusc (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 05:05 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

DO NOT BUY FROM RACETRONIX.

Or at least exercise caution.

I have had perfectly excellent electrical products from them. However, I had not one but two of their modified walbro fuel pumps be defective. The first one was fully dead om arrival. The next one flopped over at 4k rpm when I finally got the 10psi setup on the coupe to the dyno for tuning.

Last edited by Tusc; 02-23-2023 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-23-2023, 07:22 PM
JHrinsin
Drifting

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Yes, the pump will need to flow and be capable of E85. Which is why a 340lph is my main focus. I'm waiting to hear back from Racetronix. I'm OK with piecing together all the parts needed if I have to.

Pump
pump to hat harness
new corrugated flex tube
sock
hotwire kit

Just want to confirm with them that I'm not mossing anything on pump design/selection that makes the early style C5 systems such a pain to find a kit for. If they are no longer "kits" simply because no vendor can source plastic buckets then I fine, I'll reuse my stock one.

I also have a reminder to call AEM as well for options.
Don't know if its possible, but maybe talk to the folks at APE about their 1997-02 C5 kit, but change out the regular 255HP pump for one of those E85 approved Walbro pumps? Might be worth a phone call.
smitty2919 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-24-2023, 07:17 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tusc
DO NOT BUY FROM RACETRONIX.

Or at least exercise caution.

I have had perfectly excellent electrical products from them. However, I had not one but two of their modified walbro fuel pumps be defective. The first one was fully dead om arrival. The next one flopped over at 4k rpm when I finally got the 10psi setup on the coupe to the dyno for tuning.
Bummer. What time frame was this? I've only had one Racetronix pump and this was maybe 4 years ago and no issues.

Originally Posted by JHrinsin
Don't know if its possible, but maybe talk to the folks at APE about their 1997-02 C5 kit, but change out the regular 255HP pump for one of those E85 approved Walbro pumps? Might be worth a phone call.
Good point. Will do!
Old 02-24-2023, 09:20 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

2016 to 2017

Get notified of new replies

To C5 early style drop in fuel pumps

Quick Reply: C5 early style drop in fuel pumps