Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think I trashed my C5 Brake Calipers at the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 03:03 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Think I trashed my C5 Brake Calipers at the track

BLUF: Rebuild my calipers or not?

DISCUSSION:

HPDEs and track days are a great hobby. I am a race crew and driver of one who drives to and from the track with my tools and tires in tow. I’ve never done more than 5 weekends a year of HPDE or track day time. Two to three weekends a year is more normal and is what I usually plan for. It seems that of the tracks I've driven (incl., VIR, Road Atlanta, Barber, Summit Point), the hardest ones on my car have been Sebring and Road America.

I recently returned from another very fun weekend at Road America...played around with some ACR Vipers and the like...pretty good weather…could hang with the normal Viper crowd on the track, but not with those race-prep’d ACR types.

Unfortunately, I let my front brake pads (Carbotech XP12s) get too thin and as a result, ended up putting way too much heat into both of the front stock-style C5Z06 calipers, so much so that I turned the piston dust boots to ash—I didn’t melt them off, I burned them off of both calipers. Even the lower end of the middle outside tab of one of the calipers turned from red to ash white. Looks like the rubber boots around the caliper pins were also affected. Plus, the right caliper was leaking fluid from somewhere. I think I may have killed my calipers.

For the future, I could just use a new set of front pads every day when at Road America, which I am finding to be a much more brake-intensive place than VIR (my previous “home” track). At $200+ a set, that kind of plan can make it an expensive weekend. (I thought I got away from new pads each day when I made the switch to purpose track pads vice HP street! BTW, I use ATE Typ 200 or ATE Superblue brake fluid.)

Whatever I do WRT pad and/or fluid usage, I definitely need to do something with the existing calipers. I want to keep use of my stock C5 coupe wheels for the street and my stock C5Z06 wheels for the track, both 17”-F, 18”-R, as well as the use of “cheap” stock blanks for rotors. Here are some options on the table:

- Rebuild calipers with SS pistons
- Have someone else rebuild calipers with SS pistons
- Buy already rebuilt calipers with SS pistons
- Rebuild calipers w/stock components
- Buy new stock C5 calipers (no SS pistons)
- Buy new stock C6 calipers (non-Z06) (no SS pistons)
- Buy new stock C6 calipers and rebuild, have someone rebuild them with or buy them already rebuilt with SS pistons.
- Buy an upgraded system that will still work with 17” front stock wheels (both coupe and Z06) (Wilwood Superlite?)
- Get someone to sponsor me and go whole hog on brakes! ;-) (just joking…this option will never happen for me)

So, what say ye to the options I’ve listed? Thanks in advance for the constructive comments!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It's not uncomon to turn the dust boots to ash. They really are as they're called - just dusts boots. Mine have been burned through for many events and though I really need to swap them, it's not a big deal. Some guys remove the dust boots completely, but I like the fact that they protect the o-ring/seal inside the piston - especially when pushing the pistons back in their bores to put in new pads (pad material can stick to the sides of the piston and tear the seal when pushed back in).

What's not good is the leaking fluid you described. You need to get to the bottom of that immediately. Rebuilding the stock calipers is a breeze and it doesn't take any more time or work to upgrade to SS pistons from DRM.

Contact me if you're interested in upgrading to Wilwood four or six piston calipers that fit under the stock C5Z wheels (both 17" and 18") and use stock rotors.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the same problem and finally went with the LG Gstop Wilwood kit. 6 piston calipers that will fit under your stock Z06 17" wheels and use stock rotors. You will save much of the cost of the kit in the first year in pad costs. Wilwood H race pads are MUCH cheaper than Carbotek and last 3 times as long. They are over twice as thick as stock configuration pads. Bonus extra - no soft pedal from pad taper !!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:59 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dust boots what are they?

Get some SS pistons from DRM, rebuild kit, and some brake ducting if you don't have it. You can also add spacers and thermal shields for whent he pads wear down. Wilwood kit is great also.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:23 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you sure you were leaking brake fluid? From where? Did your pedal feel like garbage?

You can get great pads for $163/set (Raybestos ST-43 or whatever flavor you want).

Dust boots are optional and short-lived.

Use SS pistons.

Make sure you still have grease in the slide pins and use is high temp stuff.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:40 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

if you really think you damaged the calipers, you need to inspect the pistons to make sure they are still true (I've melted/deformed them in a single day at CMP) and make sure the caliper is still square. They tend to "open up" over time, since they have to real structure (like a monoblock does). If those two things are OK, I'd rebuild them. If not, obviously replace them. You can get Ti or SS shims to put behind your inner pads, or run SS pistons. Either will work at protecting your fluid slightly, but will not protect against caliper deformation. You need a LOT of cooling to protect the OEM calipers if you are running long sessions at a high braking track.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:00 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like lack of cooling. I have used up a set of pads in 7 sessions once but the reason was running with no cooling ducts. I had a problem with one duct and just tore them both off and kept playing. Once I got new brakes and put my ducts back on I had no more trouble.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Hmm. I have run with battered hose or none at all and have not noticed a difference in wear or performance.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:10 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Hmm. I have run with battered hose or none at all and have not noticed a difference in wear or performance.
not going fast enough
Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I've started using temp strips (instead of rotor paint) recently and I love them.

You'll notice I wasn't going too fast that day. I promise to do better in the future.

I also had my caliper pistons modified for extra cooling. I'll post those soon

Richard Newton
Brake Fluid Column
Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Here are my modified caliper pistons.

Richard Newton

Last edited by rfn026; 05-15-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: broken link
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 PM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have essentially the same setup as you do - C5 stock calipers, Carbotech XP12's Quantum/DRM cooling ducts, ss lines & ATE Dot 4 fluid under stock C5Z wheels. This last weekend I wore my front brakes down to nothing after 5 track sessions (3x 20 min each) on a notorious hard-on-brakes track. My dust boots are long gone & my slider pin covers are pretty much toast as well. By the end of each day the pedal would get pretty long & I'd bleed the brakes.

I'm looking at the AP Racing T1 system from Hardbar, but would also consider the Wilwood SL6R Superlites. Ideally, I'd like to be able to swap pads at the track without having to remove the calipers - and would like to be able to get through a whole day without having the pedal go long. I'm guessing you're looking for the same.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:25 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

What tires are you using and what hp?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Are you sure you were leaking brake fluid? From where? Did your pedal feel like garbage?

You can get great pads for $163/set (Raybestos ST-43 or whatever flavor you want).

Dust boots are optional and short-lived.

Use SS pistons.

Make sure you still have grease in the slide pins and use is high temp stuff.
Yep; r-side caliper was leaking fluid from someplace; was all gunked up with fluid and grime by the end of Sunday. Don't think it was from around the pistons...probably from the bleed screw I just had replaced on the caliper (serviced by a local race shop). No evidence of my SS brake lines having busted. May replace them nonetheless. Pedal did feel like garbage...lots of travel by the end of Day #2. I had worn the front pads to virtually nothing, which put a lot of heat into the system. Think I had boiled the otherwise capable ATE fluid because of it.

Have never tried Raybestos ST-43 pads. How do they compare to Carbotech XP-12s?

Yep; SS pistons are in my future!

Def will regrease slide pins with high temp stuff.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:56 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
...Contact me if you're interested in upgrading to Wilwood four or six piston calipers that fit under the stock C5Z wheels (both 17" and 18") and use stock rotors.

Thanks for the contact.info offer!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

I have not used the Carbotechs, but ST-45s are excellent, as are the ST-41s (popular NASCAR pad).
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
...finally went with the LG Gstop Wilwood kit. 6 piston calipers that will fit under your stock Z06 17" wheels and use stock rotors. You will save much of the cost of the kit in the first year in pad costs. Wilwood H race pads are MUCH cheaper than Carbotek and last 3 times as long. They are over twice as thick as stock configuration pads. Bonus extra - no soft pedal from pad taper !!
Thanks for the advice!

Get notified of new replies

To Think I trashed my C5 Brake Calipers at the track

Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Get some SS pistons from DRM, rebuild kit, and some brake ducting if you don't have it. You can also add spacers and thermal shields for whent he pads wear down. Wilwood kit is great also.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-15-2012, 02:11 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
if you really think you damaged the calipers, you need to inspect the pistons to make sure they are still true (I've melted/deformed them in a single day at CMP) and make sure the caliper is still square. They tend to "open up" over time, since they have to real structure (like a monoblock does). If those two things are OK, I'd rebuild them. If not, obviously replace them. You can get Ti or SS shims to put behind your inner pads, or run SS pistons. Either will work at protecting your fluid slightly, but will not protect against caliper deformation. You need a LOT of cooling to protect the OEM calipers if you are running long sessions at a high braking track.
I'm concerned about the calipers because I put so much heat into the system by allowing my pads to go to almost nothing that I also discolored the red paint of the OEM C5Z06 calipers in several areas. So your concern over caliper deformation definitely is noteworthy. Thus, also the reason I am thinking about rebuilding them with SS pistons, if only to see if there is any damage (other than the dust boots turning to ash ).

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Sounds like lack of cooling. I have used up a set of pads in 7 sessions once but the reason was running with no cooling ducts. I had a problem with one duct and just tore them both off and kept playing. Once I got new brakes and put my ducts back on I had no more trouble.
I do have front brake ducting to both front assemblies, and that has definitely helped with braking on the track. Maybe one or both ducts are blocked. I'll have to check.

No pun intended (or maybe yes, I do!), but all of this boils down to my primary dependence on one set of front track-caliber brake pads to last me the entire weekend at Road America, as they have in the past. Of course, I wasn't trying to play with a slew of ACR vipers in the past at RA. And, it never got above 60 deg F in the past when I was out there. (It was in the upper 60s and 70s and sunny last weekend!) I probably was more agressive because of it. After resolving my caliper health, the easiest (not necessarily the most cost effective) thing to do would be to run new pads each day. But, as mentioned in my OP, that can get expensive.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 PM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rfn026
I've started using temp strips (instead of rotor paint) recently and I love them.

You'll notice I wasn't going too fast that day. I promise to do better in the future.

I also had my caliper pistons modified for extra cooling. I'll post those soon

Richard Newton
Brake Fluid Column
Originally Posted by rfn026
Here are my modified caliper pistons.

Richard Newton
Thanks for the diagnostic ideas! Can't see the pics right now...connectivity issues...will check later.

Quick Reply: Think I trashed my C5 Brake Calipers at the track