Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires on your tow vehicle - Upgrade to E-rated?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tires on your tow vehicle - Upgrade to E-rated?

Should I upgrade to E-rated LT tires on my Nissan Titan? I'll need tires by the end of the year and read on the truck forums that heavy towing with D or E rated tires is far superior to P-metrics. I.e. the stiffer sidewall makes the truck more stable/sure-footed.

I currently have Michelin Cross-Tour SUVs which are a standard load tire rated to 2,601 each (10,404 combined) so I'm well within the load capacity even towing the 24' enclosed.

Thoughts? Keep in mind this is my daily driver so if the negatives associated with running an E-rated tire outweigh the benefit when towing 10x a year I'll keep on truckin' (pun intended) with my "SUV/street" tires.

Also, if you run an E rated tire which calls for a max of 80psi where do you run it when not towing vs. towing? I think my factory TPMS will trigger at 55psi and above.

FWIW I can't find any D rated tires that I'm interested in. I'll probably stick with Michelins and the LTX M/S2 comes in either standard load or E rated depending on size; no D: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=LTX+M%2FS2

My OEM size is a 265/75/18 so the 275/65/18 should fit the bill
Old 05-16-2012, 09:11 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
Should I upgrade to E-rated LT tires on my Nissan Titan? I'll need tires by the end of the year and read on the truck forums that heavy towing with D or E rated tires is far superior to P-metrics. I.e. the stiffer sidewall makes the truck more stable/sure-footed.

I currently have Michelin Cross-Tour SUVs which are a standard load tire rated to 2,601 each (10,404 combined) so I'm well within the load capacity even towing the 24' enclosed.

Thoughts? Keep in mind this is my daily driver so if the negatives associated with running an E-rated tire outweigh the benefit when towing 10x a year I'll keep on truckin' (pun intended) with my "SUV/street" tires.

Also, if you run an E rated tire which calls for a max of 80psi where do you run it when not towing vs. towing? I think my factory TPMS will trigger at 55psi and above.

FWIW I can't find any D rated tires that I'm interested in. I'll probably stick with Michelins and the LTX M/S2 comes in either standard load or E rated depending on size; no D: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=LTX+M%2FS2

My OEM size is a 265/75/18 so the 275/65/18 should fit the bill

great tires. You can't take a tire that is rated 80 psi max down below 55 psi.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Be carefull of the "speed rating" on the "E"- LT tires,.....just in case you sometimes roll faster than 55 mph

You can get "P" metrics in an "XL"- format (extra load) that are speed rated well above what anyone would tow at. Not available in all sizes, but many popular truck sizes

Get notified of new replies

To Tires on your tow vehicle - Upgrade to E-rated?

Quick Reply: Tires on your tow vehicle - Upgrade to E-rated?