Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Adapters. Safe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM
BigRobDsp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Adapters. Safe?

Do any of you run adapters (not spacers) on the track? I have c6 wheels on a c5. I dont really want to go buy new wheels, but the offset difference has always botherd me. I track the car 2-3 times per year. Any issues with 1 inch adapters to move the wheels out?
Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Check with the sanctioning body or tech people that put on the events. It would be a PITA to buy adapters and install other wheels only to be told at Tech that adapters aren't allowed. But there are some high quality adapters out there that use high strength aluminum and stronger studs.

Will a 1" adapter cause any sort of tire/fender clearance issues? That could be a problem especially if you are going with larger (wider) wheels and/or tires.

Also check to make sure that the adapters will bolt on and not leave any portion of the hub lugnut studs beyond the outside wheel mating surface of the adapter. If the wheels don't have recesses on the mounting flange that could mean replacing the studs on the hub.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Evilash
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tracked them on a Mustang and currently on the Corvette over the course of 10 years.
Never had a problem.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Hauq`
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a C3 with C5 ZO6 wheels on the track. I have to use 2.25 and 2.5" wheel adapters. I was concerned about the lugs backing out, because with my C3 wheels the lugs would back out after a track session. I used a punch to lock the lugs to the studs. They have never moved, and the aluminum adapter is like a great heat sinc. None of the lugs have moved over a few dozen auto-x's and half a dozen track days. I still check them after they cool from a session.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Adapters. Safe?

Quick Reply: Wheel Adapters. Safe?