Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Track Day @ NHMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:28 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default First Track Day @ NHMS

Video below.

2003 Z06
Car is currently on stock suspension (slightly lowered)
Nitto 555 RII Extreme all around
Stock brakes with fresh super blue
Cam, Headers, Intake, Tune
Harness and Autopower Bar

Car did fantastic. I still have a lot more in it especially with the additional power. I was heavy on the brakes going into the oval consistently but otherwise i felt i carried a good line. I have a lot to learn but the instructor seemed happy with my daily progress. The vid is of the last session. First and second session are recorded but too long to post so i need to trim them down.

Things i need next...
  • Brakes. Stock brakes i believe are done, rightfully so. I have autox'd a bunch on them and i think this killed them. I would like a street/track pad, thinking XP10Front/8rear. Also, possibly brake ducts.
  • Driving gloves
  • I was considering going to sways and struts but i dont think the car really needs it.

Any feedback is appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdLfY9s8C8

-Mike
Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Video below.

2003 Z06
Car is currently on stock suspension (slightly lowered)
Nitto 555 RII Extreme all around
Stock brakes with fresh super blue
Cam, Headers, Intake, Tune
Harness and Autopower Bar

Car did fantastic. I still have a lot more in it especially with the additional power. I was heavy on the brakes going into the oval consistently but otherwise i felt i carried a good line. I have a lot to learn but the instructor seemed happy with my daily progress. The vid is of the last session. First and second session are recorded but too long to post so i need to trim them down.

Things i need next...
  • Brakes. Stock brakes i believe are done, rightfully so. I have autox'd a bunch on them and i think this killed them. I would like a street/track pad, thinking XP10Front/8rear. Also, possibly brake ducts.
  • Driving gloves
  • I was considering going to sways and struts but i dont think the car really needs it.

Any feedback is appreciated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHdLfY9s8C8

-Mike
Line looks good except for the exit of T6 (the bowl) to T9. You're taking what I call the Miata line. Your instructor probably told you to do it that way but IMO that line is only for low horsepower cars.
Turn 8 (the flagger in the crane turn) is off camber. If you stay more to the left after T7 and go at T8 from more of an angle you can carry more speed into the braking zone into T9.
Did you run the TT?

Greg
Old 05-30-2012, 07:51 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by betelgeuse
Line looks good except for the exit of T6 (the bowl) to T9. You're taking what I call the Miata line. Your instructor probably told you to do it that way but IMO that line is only for low horsepower cars.
Turn 8 (the flagger in the crane turn) is off camber. If you stay more to the left after T7 and go at T8 from more of an angle you can carry more speed into the braking zone into T9.
Did you run the TT?

Greg
Interesting notes, i will keep that in mind next event. Instructor has owned a couple vettes but was driving a lotus so maybe he was following that line (maybe a safer line since i was a noob).

Turn 8/9 i kept screwing up. That blind crest and off camber definitely had the better of me. I need to mentally get over it.

He did sign me off for TT but i didn't plan on running and didn't have the day off. The brakes were shot so it wasn't in the cards. Can't wait for my next even though
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM
betelgeuse
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. T6 thru T11 are definetly the toughest part of the track. You'll get it. It just takes practice.
According to my data I was hitting 99 mph at turn 8 during the TT.
I was just praying my brakes didn't fail

The next event is going to be awesome. The day 2 relay race is a blast. Followed up by the TT on day 3.

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To First Track Day @ NHMS

Quick Reply: First Track Day @ NHMS