Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track cost

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Default track cost

Are you guys that do 10-20 events a year really paying $300+ a day?
Is there a way to work off the cost?
Any instructors need a deck/shed built? I can swing a hammer.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:16 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I believe most guys who do that many events every year are instructors so their track fees would be waived. But I did pay that until I became one, yes. Even as an instructor my fees are still high for the weekend everytime I go.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:44 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

$1000 /weekend.
fuel
hotel
pads
tires
food
etc
etc
etc.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

The group I run with is $130 or under
Old 06-04-2012, 01:34 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

265-300 for entry.
200 for consumables.
200 for gas and food.

Since I do volunteer work at the track, the entry is waived.

Not a cheap sport.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:46 AM
Git Er Dun
Burning Brakes

About $1500-2000 every trip to the track. The entry fee is the cheapest by far.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
set of slicks 1600 divide by 3-4 days Rotors and pads the same or worse 3-4 days. Travel / tolls, fuel, hotel, depreciation on tow vehicle mileage at least. Easy 1,500 a day and that is if you don't blow a tranny, diff, or engine. I did over 40 days one year or more. Now the economy has shut my business down so it sits. I would hate instructing and running my car as it seems to be one big rush for instructors.

Not I don't even have time to get it together.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

You can keep costs down. No mods, aggressive street tires and brake pads and you are good to go.

Events you have to look around for better deals. Limerock is always going to be expensive but if you hook up with different groups you can save a lot. If I remember correctly PCA has 3 days at WGI for around $350.

Check put motorsportreg.com for list of events in your area.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Motorsports is not a cheap activity.

and those are just track days.

Racing is 4 times minimum of a track day
Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

The cost per day varies considerably from person to person and is influenced by many factors including proximity to tracks, trailer vs. drive, event organizers, prep level of car, tc. etc. In general I'd say the costs go up in proportion to your speed (speed costs $ in terms of pads, tires, worn out or busted equipment). $300 per day would be at the very low end. Think about the cost of the consumables alone:
- gas ~ 5 gals per session = ~$70-80 per day
- pads > $400 per set (all 4 wheels). ~6 days ave. = $67/day
- tries - set of new NT05 ~$1000 (mounted). ~10 days = $100/day (obviously longevity varies depending on the driver)
- rotors $150 for cheap ones. ~5 days ave. ~$30/day

This would be really minimal and it adds up to almost $300/day...before we even start on the event entry fee, lodging, food, transport to/from, etc. Plus 10 - 20 days a year WILL break or wear out stuff that has to be replaced: tie rod ends, wheel bearings, bushings, valve springs, etc.

I got to find a new hobby...this is depressing to think about LOL.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:51 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While you can't do anything about the cost of expendibles and hotels, you can look around for cheap groups to run with. The non-profit groups like BMW CCA, Porsche Club are much cheaper than the private held organizations. You can get 2 days for $300. Avoid popular clubs at popular tracks and you can save money.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I would hate instructing and running my car as it seems to be one big rush for instructors.

Not I don't even have time to get it together.
The day is rushed and I hate it but at $600 savings for a weekend it's really the only way I can afford to do it.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:06 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by the blur
$1000 /weekend.
fuel
hotel
pads
tires
food
etc
etc
etc.
Pretty much it. You can save on the event cost by doing 2 days, but savings are offset by hotel, but you do get an extra day of tracking. Plus if you are there 2 days and something happens and you miss one session, it doesn't hurt as bad. Not a cheap sport, but it sure is fun!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You need to budget at least $1,000 for each day at the track. $1,500 might be more realistic. It all adds up pretty quickly. Just wait for the day when you need a new set of Hoosier tires.

Richard Newton
Newton's Laws
Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You will not beat $500/day in consumables alone unless you are on street tires:

Nitto R-II tires (rcomp): $1000/set: last 10 days =$100/day
Event fee: PCA/Trackdaze: $375/2day: $190/day
Gasoline: 20 gal min at track+to & from: $125/day
Rotors: $180/set of 4, fronts last 4 days: $45/day
Pads: $200/set for fronts: last about 10 days: $20/day
Pads $160/set for rears: last? 16 days: $10 day

Cheap fast food, camp there, still $500 day and you have not done any car prep (oil, tie rod ends, etc etc).

Going w/street tires and less agressive pads (a matched set! since the agressive pads are useless w/o race tires) will save on all the above except for the fee. ??down to $350-400 a day?. I'm not optimistic that you can ever go from $300/day in non-fee consumables to $100 driving a Corvette unless it's your first day in green group.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
You will not beat $500/day in consumables alone unless you are on street tires:

Nitto R-II tires (rcomp): $1000/set: last 10 days =$100/day
Pads: $200/set for fronts: last about 10 days: $20/day
Pads $160/set for rears: last? 16 days: $10 day
Dang! 10 days on RII's? I BARELY got 6 out of them. Probably closer to 5.

Pads I think you are being pretty generous. I got 3 out of my fronts on the last two sets and 5 on the rear.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

To keep costs down you need to sacrifice some speed on the track.

First, Don't upgrade to race tires. I got 26 track days out of a set of Nitto NT05s before they heat cycled out. They still have some tread left and I could probably do another 4 or 5 days sliding around on them. Run pads similar to Hawk HP+. Pad cost is lower and they work with street tires. With my C6Z I got 10 track days out of a set of well worn Super Car EMTs that had over 8K miles on them before I took them to the track. They actually ran faster than the Nittos. Getting well used SC EMTs from forum members is one way to keep costs down.

I am lucky that I live 60 miles from Watkins Glen. From my driveway to a parking spot outside the garage it is exactly 58 miles. Takes me 70 minutes to make the drive on back roads. I rarely stay overnight. I just drive back and forth. My truck consumes 4 gallons of gas each way so my overnight cost is $32 and I eat at home and sleep in my own bed. Lunch cost is sometimes picked up by the group running the event. I only need to get up a half an hour earlier than I do if I stay near the track since I don't have to find a place to eat breakfast at 6AM. If I do an event at Pocono I limit my time there to one day. The drive is just over 100 miles for me and takes around two hours so I can leave home early and even if I leave the track at 5 I can get home at a reasonable hour.

Once you start trying to push faster than street tires will permit your costs will escalate, tire costs, maintenance costs, brake costs, etc.

Remember the Motto, "Keep it simple Stupid". The simpler you keep things the easier it is to do at a lower cost but it will never be as low cost as putt putting around town.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To track cost

Old 06-04-2012, 04:04 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm a C5 Mafia ballin' on a budget racer i.e. instruct and TT to win tires as needed, sleep in the trailer, cross-fingers I don't crash

You can actually have a net positive income track weekend when you instruct, camp in the trailer, and win 4 Hoosiers.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Gman57
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Git Er Dun
Yep......
Old 06-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I'm a C5 Mafia ballin' on a budget racer i.e. instruct and TT to win tires as needed, sleep in the trailer, cross-fingers I don't crash

You can actually have a net positive income track weekend when you instruct, camp in the trailer, and win 4 Hoosiers.
Good idea I'm definitely not above camping out.
Anyone want an instructor who's never been on the track! I work cheap!
The "win"4 Hosiers means you have to win right, that probably wont happen. TT is that a pro level race? I'm just a beginner but once I get on track and all the sponsors see what a prodigy I am they'll surely pay me to race, but for now Ill have to pay and camp.

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
To keep costs down you need to sacrifice some speed on the track.

First, Don't upgrade to race tires. I got 26 track days out of a set of Nitto NT05s before they heat cycled out. They still have some tread left and I could probably do another 4 or 5 days sliding around on them. Run pads similar to Hawk HP+. Pad cost is lower and they work with street tires. With my C6Z I got 10 track days out of a set of well worn Super Car EMTs that had over 8K miles on them before I took them to the track. They actually ran faster than the Nittos. Getting well used SC EMTs from forum members is one way to keep costs down.

I am lucky that I live 60 miles from Watkins Glen. From my driveway to a parking spot outside the garage it is exactly 58 miles. Takes me 70 minutes to make the drive on back roads. I rarely stay overnight. I just drive back and forth. My truck consumes 4 gallons of gas each way so my overnight cost is $32 and I eat at home and sleep in my own bed. Lunch cost is sometimes picked up by the group running the event. I only need to get up a half an hour earlier than I do if I stay near the track since I don't have to find a place to eat breakfast at 6AM. If I do an event at Pocono I limit my time there to one day. The drive is just over 100 miles for me and takes around two hours so I can leave home early and even if I leave the track at 5 I can get home at a reasonable hour.

Once you start trying to push faster than street tires will permit your costs will escalate, tire costs, maintenance costs, brake costs, etc.

Remember the Motto, "Keep it simple Stupid". The simpler you keep things the easier it is to do at a lower cost but it will never be as low cost as putt putting around town.

Bill
HP+ for the track? I thought that was a no no?

Quick Reply: track cost