Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think motor is shot

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 03:42 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I think motor is shot

I'm hearing a crackling sound like valves when i was driving on the highway, I stopped at a gas sta, checked the oil level it was fine, drove home slow and when I accelerate I hear a loud valve crackling sound, when I parked it in nuetral I slowly revved the motor up to 5000 rpm and the motor started to crackle but then I stopped, tried it again and it sounded ok but now there is no oil pressure.. Im afraid to drive it but i have to get it fixed

what could be the problem and the fix? is the motor shot Im thinking it might be
Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

I think I might have waited too long to shift and shifted too close to redline or at redline that is the only thing i can think of that i did before i heard noises...God i hope the engine is savable
Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Take the plugs out and check the condition of them first. If you over rev'd it, any or all of the following is possible. Bent valves, pushrods, broken valve springs etc. Get the heads off and take a look.

It may just be the upper end and not catastrophic, but the "no oil pressure" is of course alarming!

On our road race corvette we recently had a rocker fail (stock LS6 type), tweaked the valve but no serious damage. Replaced the valve, spring, and went with the Comp Cams trunion upgrade kit, should be good as new.

Last edited by bosco022; 06-12-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark b
I think I might have waited too long to shift and shifted too close to redline or at redline that is the only thing i can think of that i did before i heard noises...God i hope the engine is savable
Your rev limiter should have protected you....If you miss a shift and downshifted to a too low of a gear it could have over rev'ed that way...
Old 06-12-2012, 08:56 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trapp
Your rev limiter should have protected you....If you miss a shift and downshifted to a too low of a gear it could have over rev'ed that way...
No I didnt miss a shift it i shifted smooth but i waited ten more MPH before shifting and then kept it accelerating hard.. It felt like the car wasnt going faster, so i let off, coasted and after heard the sewing machine type noise only when on the gas.. at low rpms it was quiet but when i tried to accelerate i heard it... I took a slow ride home and parked it

when the car cooled i started it and it was very noisy and i just shut it off... mechanics are taking a look at it soon

the engine is tired to begin with with all the track days, im glad it happened close to home and not on the track

Get notified of new replies

To I think motor is shot

Quick Reply: I think motor is shot