Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune and clutch/flywheel selection for HPDE events

Old 06-12-2012, 07:49 PM
FuglyHippo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tune and clutch/flywheel selection for HPDE events

Over the weekend I met up with Subdriver (Who races a 2002 Z06, the exact same car I have) and he taught me a lot about the sport etc. I planned on getting my Vette tuned for nitrous, but since spending the day with Brad... I am more interesting than before on actually doing some events. I am taking the spray off the car and gearing it more to this end of the spectrum.

The car is bolt ons. Just an intake with LS7 Manifolds/H-pipe. Any tips on how the car should be tuned? I plan on going to places like Summit Point or VIR. Non of the Auto-X stuff, it just doesn't appeal to me. I figured for a road race tune, it should be richer than a drag tune. Idk, throw in some educated input!

The car also has an 18 lb flywheel with a Monster Stage 4 clutch. This is another question... I obviously don't want to use this clutch for tracking. It engages too harshly and makes slipping it for smooth transactions semi-impossible. I can do it, but I can't do it FAST, which is the issue. How many of you guys are running the LS7 Clutch in your C5's? I think this is what I want to switch to, but want some opinions. Also, should I put in a stock LS7 Flywheel when swapping clutches or should I stick to the Billet 18lb? I think the 18 lb requires shims of some sort. Not sure.

Thanks for your time,
-Hippo
Old 06-12-2012, 08:52 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I have the LS7 clutch and flywheel in my C5. Rick at RKT56.com (forum sponsor) put it in just a few months ago. 3 track days and about 800 street miles thus far and I really like it a lot. I had a Monster stage 3 before and it, being more of a drag clutch, didn't stand up very will. Rick has a dyno in his shop as well. Great guy, check out his site and give him a call about the tune, he can get you set up. His shop is in Frederick, MD - not sure how far that is from you.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:06 AM
FuglyHippo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually know Rick pretty well lol. And you're 100% right! He's the man! Thanks for your input.

-Hippo
Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no slipping the clutch on the track. A lighter clutch/flywheel combo is desirable...it has gotten to the point where many people use a clutch/flywheel package that is lighter than just your 18lb flywheel.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:02 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the best mods I EVER made for road race was a Findanza lightweight flywheel. The difference was night and day. Made the car SUCH a pleasure to drive on a road course compared to stock steel flywheels. Thing would rev like a sport bike. Matching rev's during heel and toe was like listening to a beautiful song.

Check out this video, this is my old C5 with the Findanza back in approx 2003. Listen to how that motor rev's and how easily I can blip the throttle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed8k6cQY5AM

Don't forget the most important mod is to educate and train the driver behind the wheel first. Don't forget your saftey items first!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I love my Katech LS 9 clutch, for a car that is also driven on the street can't imagine anything better
Old 06-15-2012, 10:03 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,079 Likes on 653 Posts

I would recommend the Mantic 9000 twin for your application, or the Mantic 7000 if your more of a dedicated track car.

We have some of our top racers using these clutches with great success.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...st-2012-a.html

Get notified of new replies

To Tune and clutch/flywheel selection for HPDE events

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune and clutch/flywheel selection for HPDE events