Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building a tire trailer and could use some ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM
ninety4formula
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Building a tire trailer and could use some ideas

I bought a set of used wheels and tires that came with one of the harbor freight trailers (~4 ft. sq.). I don't like how the tires are mounted on it currently so I want to rebuild it so that it is easier to use. Right now the wheels lay down on their side and are stacked 2 high. I laid it out in autocad and I can fit all 4 of them across the front, but I'd have to widen the trailer so that the deck would be even with the fenders. I'm trying to decide if I should build the extensions out of wood or steel and I'm also trying to decide if I should build something to totally cover the wheels that would be removable or if I should just build a rack for them. For the time being I can store the trailer inside, but there may come a time that it won't be an option for me. Anyways I'm just trying to get some ideas from people that have been there before and know what works or what things to keep in mind.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Having the tires out of sight and out of mind is a good idea. If they are exposed, folks get ideas that aren't plesant. If no one can see what you have, you stand a much better chance of keeping it.

You don't need to put all four tires in a row across, you can just as easily but them 2x2 and let the two front ones hang down a bit lower, between the frame rails in front of the axle and the two back ones doing the same behind the axle. You don't want anything sticking up behind the car or the drag will eat your gas mileage (ask me how I know). If you keep the packge behind the car you won't even know it's there and your gas mileage on the highway will only go down a couple of mpg, even towing at as much as 75 or 80. Also there's nothing bad about having the load offset a bit, you could put tires offset to one side and have a box on the other for your jack and tools on the other. It's a bad idea to put the tires on the back or the box on the back because if you are without tires or tools your tongue weight goes to nothing and that's bad.

Not having to lift the tires way up and over the side of a box is also a good thing. After a long day in the sun you don't want to have to lift tires up to get them loaded. Think of a box with one side that lifts with the lid you you only have to lift the tires a foot or so and then roll them into place.

Think also about securing them when underway. If they are in a box of sorts, then you don't have to strap them down. Again, if there was a sheet metal well or dip between the rails you could put in a couple of tires, and just toss them in and close the lid. If you wanted to get real secure, and the tires are in a well of sorts, then one strap over the top will tie them down and they aren't going anywhere. Flat stacking works, but the tires stick up and cause a lot of drag and it's a PITA to secure them.

I was thinking I could build the box from aluminum diamond plate, or aluminum sheet for not too much and get someone with a sheet metal brake to bend it up. Lacking that some sheet and aluminum angles could make a box easily and you could cut it out with a jigsaw and then pop rivet it all together if you don't have much of a shop.

Just a couple of random thoughts. I need to rebuild my tire trailer and was thinking about the subject the other day.

Last edited by Solofast; 06-13-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

A couple of other random thoughts...

If you make the cover out of aluminum diamond plate, you can use a set of gas struts to make it easier to lift, diamond plate can get heavy..

Make sure you have room for the jack and tools and they can't get loose and rattle around and damage your rims.. When I was flat stacking tires I had room between the two stacks for a jack and it couldn't get out of that spot so it worked well.

Room for a couple of lawn chairs on top of the tires and stuff is also a good idea. Figure out how to put a beech umbrella in there and you could be real popular....Having a place to sit out of the sun is sometimes a good thing.

Make sure you have a couple of hasps and good locks on the lid, cheap insurance.

Get notified of new replies

To Building a tire trailer and could use some ideas

Quick Reply: Building a tire trailer and could use some ideas