Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On Track Car / Animal Contact - situational awareness

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:19 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default On Track Car / Animal Contact - situational awareness

I attended and ran the NASA Hyperfest event this weekend at Summit Point Main circuit. Friday and Saturday we had two on track instances of car contact with the area wildlife one mild and one severe. Just a reminder that your track situational awareness must extend beyond the racing surface.
Friday during an open track session we had a mild squirel contact with a Zo6 about 4 cars ahead of me. Rodent ran on track, got squished and spread on the apex of turn 4 leading into the shute. Guts and blood do not make for good traction. The corner workers were good with the "Debris" flag. No car damage, just a slippery driving surface. Earlier in another session a large ground hog ambled across the track but avoided contact.
Saturday morning was a different story. In the instructor run session a black Zo6 hit a deer running from the infield across the track. Driver was just hitting the braking zone on the front straight going into turn one in excess of 100 MPH. Caught the deer on the right front and it rolled up and came through the windshield. Front fascia, right quarter, hood and windshield were destroyed. Driver was not injured, but but got sprayed with a million glass fragments from the windshield. Car is a mess but not totaled. Sorry - no pics, maybe another member can add some to the post.
Two major lessons to be learned here - 1) Keep your situational awareness up at all times on track and to the sides ! 2) Wear a full face helmet and pull the visor DOWN - it's your eyes !!!

Last edited by CHJ In Virginia; 06-17-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

RIP Rocky!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Yep, can happen at a lot of tracks. I think they had a deer jump on the track at Pocono 10 or 15 years ago during one of the NASCAR Cup Races. A number of groups that run at the Glen warn about wild life (mainly wood chucks and deer) showing up on the track. The flaggers even have a hand signal for wild life. Hands and fingers raised up to the head like antlers. Problem is the guard rails are high and the vegetation is close to them in some areas of the track so you can have one jump over the rail right onto your car and never see it until it crashes through the windshield.

Bill
Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The flaggers even have a hand signal for wild life. Hands and fingers raised up to the head like antlers.
We were just laughing about the "antlers" signal last weekend, at The Glen. Fortunately, it wasn't needed.

Pocono and Summit, are notorious for wildlife, roaming the tracks.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:39 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been doing track events since 2002, steady since 2005 and this happens every event. Now that I'm instructing I get some of those students myself or I get a level headed guy.

As for animals, I was at a Chin event at Roebling Road once when a guy plowed a deer on the front straight in a Boxter doing 120. The deer flew up in the air and a Z06 right behind him went under the deer before it landed on the track.

The damage wasn't as bad as you think but it was hairy for the guy I'm sure. Mostly the hood/windshield were screwed.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Deer, Turkeys and Turtles at VIR
Old 06-17-2012, 07:28 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Deer, Turkeys and Turtles at VIR
and geese!!!!!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Scary stuff! Video Posted in the NASA Forums--
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=58270
Old 06-17-2012, 08:06 PM
ZipZap
Race Director

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

On Friday, there was a dead squirrel at the exact turn in point for T4. I laughed thinking about "turn right at the squirrel"

Here's the deer carnage from Saturday.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:42 PM
03threefiftyz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty startling....

Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I've been doing track events since 2002, steady since 2005 and this happens every event. Now that I'm instructing I get some of those students myself or I get a level headed guy.

As for animals, I was at a Chin event at Roebling Road once when a guy plowed a deer on the front straight in a Boxter doing 120. The deer flew up in the air and a Z06 right behind him went under the deer before it landed on the track.

The damage wasn't as bad as you think but it was hairy for the guy I'm sure. Mostly the hood/windshield were screwed.
I was in the Z06 that went under the flying deer the Boxter hit. That was interesting to say the least.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:55 AM
gfacter
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I was a few hundred yards behind this the deer strike on Sat, maybe around the start finish line. I saw parts flying and thought maybe 2 cars made contact.

Didn't find out it was a deer strike till later.

Glad the driver is OK.

...Lowers visor....
Old 06-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

WGI - woodchuck

Spring mountain I chased a road runner.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Since no one was hurt I can say this, but you would think that tracks that NASCAR runs on would be depleted of wildlife. Sounds like a deer, turkey and vermin season is needed to keep the local population down.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

~15 years ago at Summit Point, had a cow (full-sized, black & white, moo....etc) appear on track during the night portion of an enduro....it was strolling, counter race, down the white line on the left-hand edge of the track at the far end of the front straight. 700-900lb. cow. Oh joy. Call on the radios from the race cars were pretty strange at first...."Cow ?"..."As in Elsie ?"...it all led to an early checker (it was about 11pm, and we were ~10 minutes before the scheduled checker).

It ambled off into the orchards, and we never got an explanation of where it went.

A few years later, Herb the Mighty took a turkey thru the windshield just past the bridge, as he approached T10, during a 12 Hour enduro. Blew the whole windshield out...but Herb just stayed out (like a good enduro driver) until they finally black flagged him. Turkey was still in the passenger side. Guts & feathers everywhere.

Last edited by Don Keefhardt; 06-18-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:12 PM
2K3Z06
Burning Brakes

Location: KADS- If it has wings or an engine, I can break it. Dallas TX
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

freaking stupid deer. I almost hit one 4 months ago, while landing at a country airport. one of things that never comes up in the preflight/drivers breifing.

gotta feel for the guy in the black zo6. bum luck.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:49 PM
MazdaRob
Instructor

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU

My buddy was driving the Z06 right behind him.

Oh him VMS4evr

Get notified of new replies

To On Track Car / Animal Contact - situational awareness

Old 06-19-2012, 09:38 AM
sebdavid
Pro

The story made Autoblog...
http://ca.autoblog.com/2012/06/18/co...deer-on-track/

Video is eye-opening; the deer seems to materialize out of thin air. No way you could see this coming. I run a full face with the visor down; things like this prove me right.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The stats don't lie -

Clip from United Stats of America on History Channel -

http://youtu.be/Y0jk7QQqI8Q
Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I nailed a deer on the street last oct. Mine looks like the black c5z above, except for the hole in the windshield.

Quick Reply: On Track Car / Animal Contact - situational awareness