Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E85

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:40 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default E85

E85 is become available and convenient.

Has been in Downtown Atlanta, but now it's at a Citgo on I-985 and Buford Drive North of the City. Rumor has it that there is another in Oakwood off I-985 . Really handy. on the way to AMP or Road Atl?

Reading up, and other that water absorption worries this stuff looks good, that and about $600.00 worth of modifications/parts?

Any body out there in the Heartland ever use this stuff as a racing fuel?

TJM
Old 06-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I converted to it over a year ago and have been very pleased. I have something over 400 FWHP (will dyno soon) and had to switch to 46# injectors. The 190 Walbro pump is keeping up okay (surprised). I have had to put time into tuning. The rest of the system is stock and has had no issues. I use a chunk more fuel but it sure smells good running (rum nom).

I use this site for finding stations near me:
http://www.e85refueling.com/index.php
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 AM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I converted to it over a year ago and have been very pleased. I have something over 400 FWHP (will dyno soon) and had to switch to 46# injectors. The 190 Walbro pump is keeping up okay (surprised). I have had to put time into tuning. The rest of the system is stock and has had no issues. I use a chunk more fuel but it sure smells good running (rum nom).

I use this site for finding stations near me:
http://www.e85refueling.com/index.php
I was just up in your neck of the woods, two weeks ago [ Stevens Pt].

Good to hear you have no problems.

Is Walpro the stock style intake pump?? Stock Tank??? Or fuel cell??

Biggest worry is the pump, and if the tank is up to it [ thinking yes ].

We have a new 1984 pump and @ 12 psi is fine for the carburetor.

Fuel line is rated, so it's $300 in carb. work and a regulator with Viton diaphragm?

Had the new motor finished and dyno'd Friday . [ Long sorry story about why drag racers should not build endurance motors..... ]

New 383cu in makes 458 ft lbs @ 3000 rpm ... 424 ft lbs at 5200 rpm]

Post details or email !!

TJM
Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Dang, should have stopped by! The Walbro pump I put in awhile ago and replaced the stock 1988 pump which was a bit to small for the HP. No problems with the tank or anything else in the system. I'm not sure how our years differ. Details on my engine build? I made a thread about it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ld-advice.html

When it lets go I would use higher compression and possibly 383.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much HP? The stock pump will handle 475-500 rwhp on E 85, and the LPE drop in another 10-15% increase.

The injectors will most likely need to be changed too, depending on HP.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:21 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
how much HP? The stock pump will handle 475-500 rwhp on E 85, and the LPE drop in another 10-15% increase.

The injectors will most likely need to be changed too, depending on HP.
430hp.

New 650 Ultra Hp Holley
Old 06-20-2012, 05:05 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Dang, should have stopped by! The Walbro pump I put in awhile ago and replaced the stock 1988 pump which was a bit to small for the HP. No problems with the tank or anything else in the system. I'm not sure how our years differ. Details on my engine build? I made a thread about it.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...ld-advice.html

Run a 17 hour straight drive, to see parents. At 62 yo it's no treat.. [ their in their 90's].

When it lets go I would use higher compression and possibly 383.

That is what we did
... "it" [ 350] let go at Road Atl. last February.. 1st time at the track and it blew. Hot Rodder built the motor.

New one is a 383, sort of budget motor [ if $5,800.00 is a budget ].

11.5 :1 comp and there is NO way I will tolerate any detonation, so the higher the octane and cooler things are, the better I will feel.

Any place you know that sells 55 gal drums of E98 ?? or E85.

Saw and add for someplace in Minneapolis?

TJM
Old 06-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM
That is what we did[/I]... "it" [ 350] let go at Road Atl. last February.. 1st time at the track and it blew. Hot Rodder built the motor.

New one is a 383, sort of budget motor [ if $5,800.00 is a budget ].

11.5 :1 comp and there is NO way I will tolerate any detonation, so the higher the octane and cooler things are, the better I will feel.

Any place you know that sells 55 gal drums of E98 ?? or E85.

Saw and add for someplace in Minneapolis?

TJM

If you need the drum just to take fuel to the track I'd self serve it. Just take an empty 55 gallon race gas drum that you have laying around with you when you are going to be in the area of a gas station with an E85 pump, fill with E85, take your nitrogen tank and squirt a 5-10 second blast in the drum to displace any air in there and then cap. Should stay fresh for ever and save you a bit of coin at the same time over having it shipped.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:08 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Werks
If you need the drum just to take fuel to the track I'd self serve it. Just take an empty 55 gallon race gas drum that you have laying around with you when you are going to be in the area of a gas station with an E85 pump, fill with E85, take your nitrogen tank and squirt a 5-10 second blast in the drum to displace any air in there and then cap. Should stay fresh for ever and save you a bit of coin at the same time over having it shipped.
May do that. I would kill a Sunday, but is doable.

Thinking one of those big food grade white containers. 90 gallons I think?.

You can pick them up for $50.00 and they are valved at the bottom.

Quality [ ie: the Octane] is the worry. I have to get past before committing.

pretty much going to do July and August on race gas.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There was a Chevron off Pleasant Hill that sold E85 as well. Take a right off 85N and just pass Best Buy but before the "awful" house on the right hand side.

I've always wondered how fresh that Citgo E85 is because it's not visited often. Not to mention I wouldn't really feel comfortable using their regular pumps; have you seen the place?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:58 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I'll add another E85 location:
BP at Mountain Industrial and Hugh Howell

Good luck
Old 06-20-2012, 07:27 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Also if you have an iPhone you can download a free app called FlexFinder. It's a GP's mapping program that will automatically pull up all of the pumps around that have E85 and give you directions to them.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
TJM
Drifting

Thanks all.

Not giving up on the idea, but finding a lots to think about.

I have talked with the racing fuel guys, who admittedly are vested in selling RACING Fuel.

Rockett brand for example, sells E85 racing type for $7.50 a gallon.
At a rate of 130% usage over gas, that's $9.75 a gallon!! I can buy 110 at the Road Atl pumps for that?

I can get Sunoco std delivered for $8.80/gal!!!

So I scratch my head and wonder why the enormous difference?

Profiteering?? maybe.. I found E98 for $225/55 gal drum in Minneapolis. Even with freight that would be a bargain and shakes out to $5.32 when the usage factor is considered? And that's 117 octane fuel.

Lots of research, but for the next couple months I think buying the proven product is the way we will go.

NASA in August if something else does not blow up. I think AMP has a "DO" in July?

TJM
Old 06-21-2012, 04:03 PM
TJM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
There was a Chevron off Pleasant Hill that sold E85 as well. Take a right off 85N and just pass Best Buy but before the "awful" house on the right hand side.

I've always wondered how fresh that Citgo E85 is because it's not visited often. Not to mention I wouldn't really feel comfortable using their regular pumps; have you seen the place?
Seen it, I live in Duluth, but never stopped.

Sort of a Quick Person in my daily driver. Their rest rooms are as clean as mine!!!

TJM

Get notified of new replies

To E85

Quick Reply: E85