Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race video from Road Atlanta this weekend [June Jam with NASA SouthEast]

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Race video from Road Atlanta this weekend [June Jam with NASA SouthEast]

Saturday's Thunder group race. Qualified 1st in class, but finished 2nd to Mark Nunnally (red Z06 that passes me aka Drivinhard). Was supposed to be in 5th (inside 3rd row) to start, but the 3rp position car had blown up in qualifying so I got the "lucky bump" into 3rd for the start. First time racing on 245 A6s... they did OK, but not even close to optimal. Car became a handful after a few hot laps. Overall a great weekend with good buddies. Car and self all in one piece! Video camera died on Sunday's race. Finished 2nd in class again (to Mark... again).

Old 06-18-2012, 10:35 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn yeah does look like a handful in those vids. looks like a fun intense run though
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Brian congrats...........I'm curious why no corvettes in Thunder with NASA MidAtlantic?
Joe
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

did the guy in black c6 lose the tail light completely lol
Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Naw...that tail light is just flopping in the wind, looks like it still works. Surely he got black flagged for that.

Jay
Old 06-18-2012, 02:47 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by topmover
Brian congrats...........I'm curious why no corvettes in Thunder with NASA MidAtlantic?
Joe
They do... just last season was a bad year for ST2 in MA and nobody has ever really run PTA. A few regulars sold their cars or moved out of area. I think it'll pick up again next season. I'm racing ST2 in July and again in October.

Originally Posted by dvandentop
did the guy in black c6 lose the tail light completely lol
Not while I was behind him, but eventually it was gone

Originally Posted by crease-guard
Naw...that tail light is just flopping in the wind, looks like it still works. Surely he got black flagged for that.

Jay
Nope... not that I know of. I think there was chatter about BFing him, but I don't think it happened. On Sunday he had the light removed so I guess that means he lost it on track somewhere.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard

Jay
It fell out during the race on Saturday. Didn't have one on Sunday but he had one other that worked so it's ok.

Here's Part One of my Sunday Race. Car was down about 40 HP to what I normally am, but it was still a fun time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIti-_Zn6mM
Old 06-18-2012, 03:24 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Good gosh you get left behind when we pass you... what was up with your car that it was so down on power? Thanks for posting the video.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by travisnd
Good gosh you get left behind when we pass you... what was up with your car that it was so down on power? Thanks for posting the video.
I got new turbo's for my car on Thursday (they were suppose to get to me on Monday), and installed them on Thursday night. We didn't have time to re-tune the car so we just ran a break in tune...aka really conservative tune with a !@#$ ton of fuel going to it, so I was extremely down on power. I'm usually like 305-310 HP, this weekend I was around 265. All good I'll have it done sometime this week. Looks like you guys had a fun race!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Were you sure the guy in the white GT3 cup was coming around you when he did or was it a last second pass? Kinda popped into the vid and then he was a bit sideways as he completed the pass and gathered it up. I am not sure if you have driven one but they have a ton of grip on the right tires. Well set up they almost never oversteer.

What class was the Cayman in? That old 944 was pretty funny also. Car was pretty fast.

ZoomFreakinZoom nice work at the start. That was fun to watch. Drove right past that other stuff and then pull over and wave to folks. Sorry for that. I know that's frustrating. Oh well. How it goes.

All in all looks like a great time and, at least from these views, clean racing. Those little 245's were screaming please take me in, please!! Good work on those.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:28 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Were you sure the guy in the white GT3 cup was coming around you when he did or was it a last second pass? Kinda popped into the vid and then he was a bit sideways as he completed the pass and gathered it up. I am not sure if you have driven one but they have a ton of grip on the right tires. Well set up they almost never oversteer.
To be honest I never saw him coming. I'm usually very aware of my surroundings, but the tires were getting slick and I was focusing on my driving for that bit and he came barreling past me on the inside! I was like, "Oh... damn... well there you go. Nice drift... cya!"

What class was the Cayman in?
I think it was GTS-U. The guy said it had a worked over stock motor making 330s rwhp, but I think it was more... car was very fast. My car makes 360-365 rwhp and weighs 3101 with me in it and 1/4 tank of fuel; it's pretty quick.

That old 944 was pretty funny also. Car was pretty fast.
Yes... very fast and the driver can really wheel it. It has a heads/cam LS1 in it. He says 395 rwhp, but I'm guessing more like 440.

Those little 245's were screaming please take me in, please!! Good work on those.
Very much so... I set the car up for TimeTrial on them and was able to set a new TTA record at VIR on them in February with a 2:03.65. I normally just slap on bigger tires and run ST2 for W2W racing, but all the SE guys wanted to have a big PTA race so I decided to give it a go. They worked better than expected in that they didn't cord
Old 06-18-2012, 04:41 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

FYI the cayman was driven by Dan Clarke, he's an old Champcar and Indycar driver and drove some NASCAR stuff also, dude is quick.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
FYI the cayman was driven by Dan Clarke, he's an old Champcar and Indycar driver and drove some NASCAR stuff also, dude is quick.
first lap on sunday I was in recon mode due to the amount of oil from T1-T5. Dan passed me entering the esses on the first lap , either he didn't know there was oil down, or he didn't care
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

some highlights

https://vimeo.com/44268014
Old 06-18-2012, 07:18 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome footage as always Mark
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,073 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by drivinhard
At 3:38 unless I am mistaken I think that's an LS3. I think I see two gills and a longer side emblem that probably says "Grand Sport". Looks a lot like my car. Wheels look like CCW's or something. If in fact that's the case that's very telling and I am excited. Yay!! lol!! I just love how you go right TF by in the brake zone!!

Loved watching the footage. Thanks for posting!!
Old 06-18-2012, 08:40 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by Racingswh
At 3:38 unless I am mistaken I think that's an LS3. I think I see two gills and a longer side emblem that probably says "Grand Sport". Looks a lot like my car. Wheels look like CCW's or something. If in fact that's the case that's very telling and I am excited. Yay!! lol!! I just love how you go right TF by in the brake zone!!

Loved watching the footage. Thanks for posting!!
It's a C6 with GS front and rear fenders and yea those are CCW wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To Race video from Road Atlanta this weekend [June Jam with NASA SouthEast]

Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZoomFreakinZoom
You don't say....

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good videos-nice racing. Looks like Brian needs more practice driving his mirrors, he used to being up front in his brief career!

Tim
Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Awesome video Travis! Looks like a lot of fun. Nice driving.

Quick Reply: Race video from Road Atlanta this weekend [June Jam with NASA SouthEast]