Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track tire wear question - Front to rear

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Track tire wear question - Front to rear

Hey guys, I'm currently running Nitto NT555 RII tires that I drive both street and track on my C5 Z06. 275/40/17 & 305/35/18

At 6 track days and 3,400 miles my rear tires were shot but the fronts still had plenty of tread. I replaced the rears and found the car to understeer a good bit at the last event. I'm assuming this is because the rear tires have great grip and the fronts are starting to wear? Do you guys typically go ahead and change the fronts too despite tread wear? They still have plenty of tread as you can see in the pic but now have 7 track days and over 4000 miles on them versus 600 miles and 1 track day. I'm thinking they are heat cycling out and that I should swap them so the grip is the same all the way around.

Thoughts?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:14 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Hey guys, I'm currently running Nitto NT555 RII tires that I drive both street and track on my C5 Z06. 275/40/17 & 305/35/18

At 6 track days and 3,400 miles my rear tires were shot but the fronts still had plenty of tread. I replaced the rears and found the car to understeer a good bit at the last event. I'm assuming this is because the rear tires have great grip and the fronts are starting to wear? Do you guys typically go ahead and change the fronts too despite tread wear? They still have plenty of tread as you can see in the pic but now have 7 track days and over 4000 miles on them versus 600 miles and 1 track day. I'm thinking they are heat cycling out and that I should swap them so the grip is the same all the way around.

Thoughts?

How old are they? I got my fastest time ever at Summit on day 8-9 of my first set of R-II. I've equaled it only with new NT01. For me the tires did not cycle out. But they were only 1 year old and I never street drove them except to the track. I stored them in a basement out of sunlight.

I don't think they are cycled out unless the street did it; sun won't help either.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought them November. I already had to replace the rears, still on the fronts. The fronts currently have around 4k miles and 7 track days. The car sits in the garage most of the time. I drive it maybe once a week for 30-50 miles or so.

I think I'll just keep running them until they are toast. No sense wasting money.

Get notified of new replies

To Track tire wear question - Front to rear

Quick Reply: Track tire wear question - Front to rear