Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 PM
M4A1Carbine
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C5 Z06 Coilovers

I recently broke my rear leaf spring and thought I could take this opportunity to upgrade to coil overs instead of just replacing the spring.

I do race the car, both drag and road course or auto cross. Would this be a worth while upgrade?

I'm also assuming that the adjustable coilovers would allow me to tune them for drag racing to transfer more weight to the rear for the 1/4 mile and then tune them to handle better on a circuit? Is it really that simple?

From what I've read so far I'm leaning for the LG GT2 adjustable coilovers. Anyone have any opinions on these or a different brand? And is there a forum sponsor who has a particularly good deal on these?
Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I have had the LG2s for about 6 mos now. I went from Pfadt adj with T1 bars to the coilovers. Track times have been no quicker with coilovers, but that is probably a driver thing. You don't just put them on and magically reduce lap times. The LGs have to have the tires removed to adj, whereas the Pfadt coilovers can be adj without removing the tires. I think both are track tested and LG has a great vid of Lou running over a brick with the LG2s. As far as worthwhile upgrade only you can make that call. For me, if I didn't have $700 in installation labor, I would have already gotten rid of mine and just upgraded to stiffer leaf springs. Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:30 PM
M4A1Carbine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by waddisme
I have had the LG2s for about 6 mos now. I went from Pfadt adj with T1 bars to the coilovers. Track times have been no quicker with coilovers, but that is probably a driver thing. You don't just put them on and magically reduce lap times. The LGs have to have the tires removed to adj, whereas the Pfadt coilovers can be adj without removing the tires. I think both are track tested and LG has a great vid of Lou running over a brick with the LG2s. As far as worthwhile upgrade only you can make that call. For me, if I didn't have $700 in installation labor, I would have already gotten rid of mine and just upgraded to stiffer leaf springs. Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.
Thanks for your input. I've read about the Pfadts but would prefer not to drill the interior panels which I believe the Pfadts require in order to adjust. I plan on installing myself so labor isn't an issue.

You think track tires are required to get any real value out of the coilovers?

Are they adjustable to improve 1/4 mile times?
Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have run the LG coilovers all year and like them very much. I installed them along with the Pfadt poly bushings and there is a BIG difference in track handling. Tires always help, but are not absolutely required to see the differences over a stock suspension. For drag racing, I really can't comment from use. You could probably set the rears at full soft and the front at full hard for better weight transfer. There are probably better setups for drag use. I would takl with Anthony at LG, maybe he can give more input.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:52 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by M4A1Carbine
Thanks for your input. I've read about the Pfadts but would prefer not to drill the interior panels which I believe the Pfadts require in order to adjust. I plan on installing myself so labor isn't an issue.

From what I remember, the Pfadts use the inverted shock, so the adj is at the bottom of the stock, so no drilling is required. The LGs can be installed without drilling, but mine were still installed with adjusters in trunk.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I recently broke my rear leaf spring and thought I could take this opportunity to upgrade to coil overs instead of just replacing the spring.
If you liked your previous setup, then I would stick with it. The stock C5 Z06 suspension is so capable, it's not even funny. If you want to have fun modifying your car, then go ahead, but the "upgrade" want be as good as you think. Marginal at best, if you still want street manners.

Steve A.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you're reading about parts on forums make sure you're reading up to date threads. Our previous coilover design did require drilling of the rear deck area... but with the release of our latest FeatherLight Singles design the shock is inverted which places the adjuster at the bottom of the shock. This makes it possible to install and adjust the coilovers with no fabrication, cutting, welding, or adjuster extensions necessary.

It's impossible to say that you're going to immediately drop lap times with a coilover install, mostly because every driver and setup is going to be different. That being said, with coilovers you will have all the hardware in place to out pace a factory Corvette once properly dialed in. Increased spring rates will keep more platform under the car in cornering and reduce nose dive under braking, and the adjustable dampers will allow you to fine tune the transitional behavior of the car as well as ride quality.

Our FeatherLight Single Adjustable coilover package has had a lot of effort put into ride quality tuning and we are very confident that you will find a setting with the Singles that will give you an excellent balance of ride quality and handling while on the street.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 PM
M4A1Carbine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
When you're reading about parts on forums make sure you're reading up to date threads. Our previous coilover design did require drilling of the rear deck area... but with the release of our latest FeatherLight Singles design the shock is inverted which places the adjuster at the bottom of the shock. This makes it possible to install and adjust the coilovers with no fabrication, cutting, welding, or adjuster extensions necessary.

It's impossible to say that you're going to immediately drop lap times with a coilover install, mostly because every driver and setup is going to be different. That being said, with coilovers you will have all the hardware in place to out pace a factory Corvette once properly dialed in. Increased spring rates will keep more platform under the car in cornering and reduce nose dive under braking, and the adjustable dampers will allow you to fine tune the transitional behavior of the car as well as ride quality.

Our FeatherLight Single Adjustable coilover package has had a lot of effort put into ride quality tuning and we are very confident that you will find a setting with the Singles that will give you an excellent balance of ride quality and handling while on the street.
Thanks for your response. After some reading and a call to you guys, I actually ordered a set of these today from TPS. LG motorsports failed to take my call after 10 mins on hold, so your customer service and new design won my business.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 Coilovers

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 Coilovers