Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer For Stock '12 GS

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trailer For Stock '12 GS

What do I need to buy to haul my stock Grand Sport with thought toward ramps? One trailer has a 22 inch deck heigth and six foot long ramps. Another trailer has a dove tail and five foot ramps. When looking at the front of the car in the garage it appears it will clear virtually nothing! Is a tilt trailer bed the way to go?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silverton34
What do I need to buy to haul my stock Grand Sport with thought toward ramps? One trailer has a 22 inch deck heigth and six foot long ramps. Another trailer has a dove tail and five foot ramps. When looking at the front of the car in the garage it appears it will clear virtually nothing! Is a tilt trailer bed the way to go?
Good question. I have a H&H tilt bed and haven't tried putting the GS on it. I was looking at ways to put six foot ramps on the trailer. Tilt trailers are steep.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rayk
Good question. I have a H&H tilt bed and haven't tried putting the GS on it. I was looking at ways to put six foot ramps on the trailer. Tilt trailers are steep.
They seem terribly steep! Just looking at the front of my car sitting in the garage it is barely three inches off the floor. I would guess I may need a dove-tail trailer and 8 foot ramps! I really need to get this figured out and get a trailer ordered for a trip. Maybe some others will have some insight what they have been through.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 PM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

look at the Quik-load trailer, no ramps, no issues loading vettes
Old 07-26-2012, 03:05 PM
nolimits
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I use a tilt but it requires a couple 4' boards for my C6 Z06. It all depends on the manufacturer and design. Some have full tilt, others partial bed tilt. I think you'll need ramps no matter what. With tilts you end up with more trailer hanging out behind the loaded car. Also depending on design the overhang may not be designed to support weight once the car is on the trailer and locked in non-tilted up position. The extended length acts as your partial ramps but is not rigid enough to hold much weight unless the end is resting on the ground, when up it has less support at back end.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 PM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have loaded very low vettes on my 18' kwikload trailer
http://kwikload.com/ shows a vid of a vette being loaded
Old 07-26-2012, 08:44 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Use treated lumber. If it doesn't work out, you can build a small deck!

I've got the non-dovetail trailer w/ torsion axles, 14" tires and 6-ft ramps and with the ZR-1 splitter on my std height C6Z, it takes lumber. Lots and lots of lumber.

Also allow for the fact that not all loading unloading spots are level. You can compensate by cranking the front of the trailer up in many cases.

To answer your question, I recommend that you find a trailer that otherwise fits your requirements and see how much lumber is required, but that's just me. I have space to carry the lumber.

Jim
Old 07-26-2012, 10:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Have the trailer dealer make you some extension ramps and a place to store them on the trailer. Not sure what the height of my trailer bed is from the ground but the last 3 ft of the bed are a beaver tail that drops the bed height about 3 inches. The trailer came with 6 ft ramps and I had the dealer make a set of 4 ft extensions that have a set of 8 inch legs on one end. All I do is bridge the original ramps to the extension and I have an almost 10 ft long ramp. If you measure from the point where the front tire touches the ground to the edge of the front fascia and from there the height of the fascia off the ground you will be able to determine the initial slope of the ramps (initial since as the car goes up the ramp the slope can increase as the fascia rotates upwards.

These pictures were taken 5 years ago and I still have the trailer. It has been giving great service for 19 years now.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer For Stock '12 GS

Quick Reply: Trailer For Stock '12 GS