Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Fixing" Tapered Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default "Fixing" Tapered Brake Pads

I experienced an erratic long, soft pedal with longitudinally tapered pads:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...l-problem.html

I'm not one to toss pads when there is friction material left(especially some ST-47's, but then again that's why I'm the one changing pads between sessions) so here is what I tried to "fix" them.

I had them put on a magnetic base surface grinder and took about .050 off most of the pad surface(75%) parallel with the mounting face and....it worked. I installed the pads with the ground face on the leading edge. They work fine!
Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

you can just swap the outer pads to their opposite inner sides every ~4 sessions.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I did a video on pad swapping, click below & search my channel on Corvette pads.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
you can just swap the outer pads to their opposite inner sides every ~4 sessions.

Just take the pads from the left and put them on the right and vice versa. The inboard pad will become the outboard pad on each pair after the swap. Evens the taper and you don't have to grind off valuable pad material.

Bill
Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

this can be done for a little while, but new calipers are in your future to correct the problem.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Just take the pads from the left and put them on the right and vice versa. The inboard pad will become the outboard pad on each pair after the swap. Evens the taper and you don't have to grind off valuable pad material.

Bill
I do that every time as well and I highly recommend the practice but you can't do that if the taper is excessive. Certain tracks(Laguna Seca) due to their heavy, repeated braking cause extreme longitudinal pad taper(in my case, .050-.100") after only 3-4 sessions. I can flip the pads in this condition but what I have found out is that I get a "long, soft" pedal that's worthless on the track. By surface grinding these tapered pads, I am able to salvage what would otherwise be scrap.

Last edited by Sidney004; 07-27-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
I do that every time as well and I highly recommend the practice but you can't do that if the taper is excessive. Certain tracks(Laguna Seca) due to their heavy, repeated braking cause extreme longitudinal pad taper(in my case, .050-.100") after only 3-4 sessions. I can flip the pads in this condition but what I have found out is that I get a "long, soft" pedal that's worthless on the track. By surface grinding these tapered pads, I am able to salvage what would otherwise be scrap.
I solved that problem by double pumping the brakes with my left foot before I got to the brake zone. The taper would gradually wear away and I would have to tap less.

Bill
Old 07-27-2012, 01:54 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I solved that problem by double pumping the brakes with my left foot before I got to the brake zone. The taper would gradually wear away and I would have to tap less.

Bill

The long/soft pedal goes away in 2-4 laps as you are "trimming off" the high points of the flipped pads. Unless you are racing it's pretty easy to deal with if you are a sensible driver.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:09 PM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Using the stock C5 caliper? how long you been on those calipers?

Get a set of used good condition C6 stock ones, they hold up stronger, same pad and mounting sizes.

get the titanium shims and the steel shim set form my write up. As the pad material gets less shim them to stop the piston tilt and you will get less pad wedging.

Calipers only last about 1-2 seasons by abuse. I also like the SS pistons from DRM to help the heat and slow the spread.

Originally Posted by Sidney004
I experienced an erratic long, soft pedal with longitudinally tapered pads:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...l-problem.html

I'm not one to toss pads when there is friction material left(especially some ST-47's, but then again that's why I'm the one changing pads between sessions) so here is what I tried to "fix" them.

I had them put on a magnetic base surface grinder and took about .050 off most of the pad surface(75%) parallel with the mounting face and....it worked. I installed the pads with the ground face on the leading edge. They work fine!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:30 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock calipers, SS pistons, Ti shims, SRF fluid is a great setup. Wil H pads wear very well so also minimize taper tendency.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:53 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Stock calipers, SS pistons, Ti shims, SRF fluid is a great setup. Wil H pads wear very well so also minimize taper tendency.

Get notified of new replies

To "Fixing" Tapered Brake Pads

Quick Reply: "Fixing" Tapered Brake Pads