Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Squat issues

Old 07-28-2012, 08:38 PM
LS2-C/10
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Squat issues

Hey guys I've been reading on here for awhile now but finally decided to make an account. I've got a 1970 Chevy C10 truck that we put a front and rear 93' C4 suspension under with a full tube chassis and a LS2 and T-56 6 speed. The problem is the rear will squat so bad under hard acceleration and shifting it will actually drag the chassis. It still has the stock leaf springs and the total weight right now is 3,035lbs. We had it at the Columbus Goodguys show a couple weekends back and ran it on the autocross track, did decent but the weight transfer to the rear was killing me when it would squat. Does anyone know if there is a heavy duty leaf I could put in there or what to try? any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 PM
LS2-C/10
8th Gear

My grandpa had the suspension to put under his 60' Vette but never did it so we decided to put it under the truck and thats what stated all of this.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would look at replacing the transverse leaf spring with coilovers. You are going to want to set your static ride height so that the half shafts are higher at the center section than at the outboard bearing, while stationary. What you want to be looking for is a nearly level half shaft at full acceleration. You will probably have to play with the spring rates to get it just right.
On my C4 racer, we relocated the rear shock mounts to achieve this very thing. Before the relocation (correct ride height), under full acceleration, the half shafts were higher outboard and it just screwed the handling all up. Good Luck with your project..............
Old 07-28-2012, 10:06 PM
LS2-C/10
8th Gear

Thanks! yeah I was looking into coilovers, the price scares me a little but I think it would be worth it and probably the only real good way to fix it
Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 PM
LS2-C/10
8th Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id2KI...&feature=g-upl
Here's the video of it at Goodguys
Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by LS2-C/10
Thanks! yeah I was looking into coilovers, the price scares me a little but I think it would be worth it and probably the only real good way to fix it
What's your attraction to coilovers for the rear? They're just a spring and shock (like the originals), but more expensive. You can get several different rates on the production spring (as you can with coilovers) and you can adjust the corner weight the same with either spring. What does the expensive solution buy you in your application that the stock design spring/shock setup won't?

Question: You complained about dragging the frame under acceleration. What's your anti-squat geometry in the rear?
Old 07-29-2012, 05:04 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Did you redo the anti-squat angle to match the CG of the truck?
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just find a solid rear axle for the pick up. Or you can get a higher rate transverse spring, largest anti-roll bar possible and adjust your ride height with the spring bolts.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
That's the right question. My guess is no.

Remember weight is going to transfer based on the CG height and wheelbase, and that will help pin the rear tires on acceleration. It's not the weight transfer that's the issue, it's the amount of that weight that is being held up by the springs and how much needs to go thru the linkage. What is probably happening with the present setup is that the rear end is hitting the bump stops because the vehicle is squatting so much.

It has less to do with spring rates, although if he has the base springs it's really going to be bad, he doesn't need coilovers, just get a set of higher rate springs (like Z51's or Z07) to start. Then he needs to get the anti squat right relative to his CG height.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:04 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast

Remember weight is going to transfer based on the CG height and wheelbase, and that will help pin the rear tires on acceleration. It's not the weight transfer that's the issue, it's the amount of that weight that is being held up by the springs and how much needs to go thru the linkage. What is probably happening with the present setup is that the rear end is hitting the bump stops because the vehicle is squatting so much.

It has less to do with spring rates, although if he has the base springs it's really going to be bad, he doesn't need coilovers, just get a set of higher rate springs (like Z51's or Z07) to start. Then he needs to get the anti squat right relative to his CG height.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:30 PM
LS2-C/10
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 69427
What's your attraction to coilovers for the rear? They're just a spring and shock (like the originals), but more expensive. You can get several different rates on the production spring (as you can with coilovers) and you can adjust the corner weight the same with either spring. What does the expensive solution buy you in your application that the stock design spring/shock setup won't?

Question: You complained about dragging the frame under acceleration. What's your anti-squat geometry in the rear?
Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
Originally Posted by l98tpi
Just find a solid rear axle for the pick up. Or you can get a higher rate transverse spring, largest anti-roll bar possible and adjust your ride height with the spring bolts.

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
You guys are great! I knew if I got on here that someone would be able to point me in the right direction. I wasn't sure if there was a stiffer spring I could use or not. I will get on my build thread and post the links to the pages so you guys can see the set up and we could go from there
Old 07-29-2012, 10:32 PM
LS2-C/10
8th Gear

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=512270&page=3

This is a page that has some good pictures of how we have it set right now.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 PM
LS2-C/10
8th Gear

I just wasn't sure what it was going to take to get it under control but I knew there were guys putting coilovers in to help it. but if I could keep the transverse spring I would love to. I just wasn't sure who to talk to, where to get springs and parts of that nature so I thought someone on here would be able to point me in the right direction.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

It looks like you have a ton of adjustment available for the rear trailing links, so you can get any amount of anti-squat that you want.

There was a thread on C4 anti-squat here on the road racing and autocross page, here it is....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...y-so-much.html

This will explain how to calculate how much and should be a good guide. As I said, you can first increase the spring rate a bit. The C4 rear suspension is limted by jacking effect, you can get yourself into a whole bag of trouble if you put in too big a spring and too big a sway bar at the same time. Here is a link to the chart that has the spring rates for each year and model.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...usp_chart.html

You don't want to go to the 26mm rear bar with a heavy rear spring, but other than that you can up the spring rate from what you most likey have, and it is probably the right thing to do.

Then you need to reset your trailing links to account for the higher center of gravity of your rig relative to the corvette.

Since you have a huge number of holes in the mounting brackets you need to raise up the angle of the links, so that the extened point where the cross is closer to the CG. Don't just go mucking with the links, figure out what will give you what you want before you change it and life will be a lot better.
The following users liked this post:
C4ProjectCar (03-22-2021)
Old 07-30-2012, 09:49 PM
LS2-C/10
8th Gear

It looks like you have a ton of adjustment available for the rear trailing links, so you can get any amount of anti-squat that you want.

There was a thread on C4 anti-squat here on the road racing and autocross page, here it is....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...y-so-much.html

This will explain how to calculate how much and should be a good guide. As I said, you can first increase the spring rate a bit. The C4 rear suspension is limted by jacking effect, you can get yourself into a whole bag of trouble if you put in too big a spring and too big a sway bar at the same time. Here is a link to the chart that has the spring rates for each year and model.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...usp_chart.html

You don't want to go to the 26mm rear bar with a heavy rear spring, but other than that you can up the spring rate from what you most likey have, and it is probably the right thing to do.

Then you need to reset your trailing links to account for the higher center of gravity of your rig relative to the corvette.

Since you have a huge number of holes in the mounting brackets you need to raise up the angle of the links, so that the extened point where the cross is closer to the CG. Don't just go mucking with the links, figure out what will give you what you want before you change it and life will be a lot better.
Awesome! I greatly appreciate the help! and thats why we put so many holes in the trailing link brackets so we could have some adjustment. We'll do some figuring and looking into this and if I have any other questions which I'm sure I will, I will be in touch.
Thanks again everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Squat issues

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Squat issues