Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer Care

Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 AM
VetteJohn
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Enclosed Trailer Care

I posted the following in the C1/C2 section but wanted to hear what the racer had to say on the care and maintinance of enclosed trailers:

"I spent the weekend doing a job I'd put off for WAY too long, washing my 22' enclosed trailer. First some background, the trailer spends it's life outside, uncovered and second, it's been three years since it was cleaned. It's standard issue big white box with unpainted aluminum roof and painted metal skin. I ended up using Simple Green to do the cleaning but it sure needed a lot of scrubbing to get it really clean. Now that I have the hardest part done I have a question, what does everyone use to protect the outside of their trailers? Do you polish and wax it like a car? Is there a spray on wax or protectant that would be less work? Any secrets to maintaining one of these big mothers would be appreciated."
Old 07-31-2012, 10:26 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

My new 20' enclosed trailer is black and it's gonna take lots of work to keep it shiny. It also sits outside so it will be subject to the elements.

I was told to wash the entire trailer with a good car wash soap and especially with the black sides to wipe the water off to prevent water spotting. The paint is a typical automotive grade paint so a good wax (maybe something like Meguiar's?) should be applied.

I would avoid stuff like Simple Green unless you dilute it to something like a 15% mix and then make sure to rinse well. I had heard that full strength Simple Green can harm aluminum if left on and it dries.

Groit's Garage has an excellent "Paint Sealant" that you can apply once each year and then use a good quality car wash soap that includes a wax to do regular washings. Applying the sealant would be probably a full day's job but at least it's only one day per year. I like the sealant as most automotive waxes really don't last very long. You would probably have to wax the trailer 3-4 times per year to really protect the paint finish, especially if the weather conditions in the winter are rough.

As long as the sealant on the roof seams are in good shape, just a good washing is that's all it should need up there.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

We need to talk to the NASCAR hauler drivers. They detail their rigs all the time.

Richard Newton
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
We need to talk to the NASCAR hauler drivers. They detail their rigs all the time.

Richard Newton
They do and they look nice. However, every NASCAR rig I see has a full wrap from the grill of the semi to the back of the trailer. I live in the middle of most of the NASCAR teams and I see quite a few of them every week.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I live in the middle of most of the NASCAR teams
REALLY? In Mooresville?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by greendot
REALLY? In Mooresville?
Did someone give you a map and teach you how to read?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

the drag racers from the yellow bullet swear by a product from the dollar store called "Awesome"...literally
Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Did someone give you a map and teach you how to read?
I guess you need to check what means, jeez.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:04 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 894 Posts

I try to keep mine covered but when it sits uncovered for extended periods it takes a buffer to clean up properly. I use Rejex.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
the drag racers from the yellow bullet swear by a product from the dollar store called "Awesome"...literally
I've used the stuff for years and it's great and cheap. Way better than simple green IMHO

http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/

Daniel

Get notified of new replies

To Enclosed Trailer Care

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer Care