Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best acceleration method for top speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Superbee
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best acceleration method for top speed

What do you think is the best way to shift a car from a standing start to get to top speed with no concern for et. in a half mile.
First and second gear on a runway will mostly be wheel spin, so is it best to short shift to second and lay into it as hard as possible then try to get to full throttle in third?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Superbee
What do you think is the best way to shift a car from a standing start to get to top speed with no concern for et. in a half mile.
First and second gear on a runway will mostly be wheel spin, so is it best to short shift to second and lay into it as hard as possible then try to get to full throttle in third?
I have a stock HP C5Z. I ran the Texas Mile 9 consecutive runs within 1mph of 163mph, with two drivers. Your grandmother could do it. I left ALL nannies On, and shifted at the redline (6500.....fuel cutoff is at 6600)
The stock Hp C6Zs were about 8mph faster. Again, anyone could do it.
Enjoy
Old 08-06-2012, 12:33 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Superbee
If you get that much wheel spin in 1st and 2nd, I would buy tires with more grip or you are overdriving the car.

Try and find one of those videos that show the newer Vettes with launch control. They demonstrate the proper way to get going fast. With proper technique you can launch like that without all the drama.

Or check out Ranger's web site on drag launching.

Be safe.

Get notified of new replies

To Best acceleration method for top speed

Quick Reply: Best acceleration method for top speed