Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double Locking Seat Sliders for track time

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Daffy2
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Double Locking Seat Sliders for track time

I'm trying to decide how to attach a set of Corbeau Forza seats to my '84. I like the sound of their double locking slider tracks but have also heard from some people that have them that they weren't very good or they broke or stopped working properly shortly after they were installed. Anyone have experience with double locking seat sliders in a mostly track / auto-x car?

-Tim
Old 08-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Daffy2
I'm trying to decide how to attach a set of Corbeau Forza seats to my '84. I like the sound of their double locking slider tracks but have also heard from some people that have them that they weren't very good or they broke or stopped working properly shortly after they were installed. Anyone have experience with double locking seat sliders in a mostly track / auto-x car?

-Tim
Don't really have any info on them. I do recommend you think about any real need for them. I have my driver's seat mounted on a set of Hardbar rails and my passenger seat mounted on a set of modified C5 manual rails. I find that once the seat is set in place and I fasten the back support I really don't move it around. One reason is the adjustment for the sub belts. The buckles are under the seat where it is hard to get to them. If the seat moves the belt mounts don't so at full rear movement they can be too loose and full forward movement they can be too tight. To adjust them you have to pull the seat out to get to the buckles so why have an adjustable seat?

Bill
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Daffy2
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That was my other option. The only problem there is the seats I have are Corbeau Forzas which are bottom mount only. I could probably fab up some brackets to make my bottom mounts side mounts or just hard mount them somehow.

-Tim
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

I had double locking Corbeau brackets and had no issues with them. After awhile I removed them and mounted the seat right to the floor. I always had height issues since I'm tall and that was the cure.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:07 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I had my Sparco Evo 2 on a Sparco double-locking slider for quite a while so my wife could drive the car (much shorter than me). I never had any issues and kept the slider up until the point that I completely set the car up for me and racing.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:11 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I had my Sparco Evo 2 on a Sparco double-locking slider for quite a while so my wife could drive the car (much shorter than me). I never had any issues and kept the slider up until the point that I completely set the car up for me and racing.
Had one of our club members set his seat position for him, then went to the upholstery shop and they made a padded cover for his wife to push her forward on the seat...

Belts didn't need much adjustments either...
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
bags142
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had double locking sliders on both seats and with ~10 track weekends they have been fine.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used the Corbeau double-locking slider for driver and passenger sides. With an FX1 Pro and Forza. I had 1 problem with them. The handle to adjust the seat mounts to the slider in a flimsy way. If you look at it you'll see it. They basically squeeze the ends in and let it snap onto little grabber. Mine popped off a few times. I got some fine steel wire and wrapped the 2 pieces together so the ends wouldn't pop off the connection point. Never had a problem again after that. The sliders themselves are fine.

Agree with the other guys though. That slider makes the seat sit an inch or two higher. My helmet was just hitting the roof liner. Once I found my place I liked to sit I just went to a fixed rail kit and that's where it has stayed.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:51 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

I had a new bottom seat cushion pad made by an upholsterer that was half as thin as the original in order to get the headroom with the slider.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:53 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Had one of our club members set his seat position for him, then went to the upholstery shop and they made a padded cover for his wife to push her forward on the seat...

Belts didn't need much adjustments either...
Good idea. Would not have worked for us though. I am a foot taller than my wife.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Good idea. Would not have worked for us though. I am a foot taller than my wife.
After sitting through a restraint safety session I realized a foam pad may not be the right way to go. Soft foam compresses under load and if there is an accident the load on the seat increases considerably which means the belts get very loose just when you need them tight. To do it right you need the foam as stiff as the stiff roll bar padding material. Not the cheap black stuff but the high density foam stuff. Best way to handle two different size drivers is probably with a mold in place high density foam insert like the pro road racers use.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Double Locking Seat Sliders for track time

Quick Reply: Double Locking Seat Sliders for track time