Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Cooler Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Engine Oil Cooler Recommendations

I'm getting ready to do a few track days with my C5, and as part of the prep, I'm considering an oil cooler. I already have a Dewitt radiator and a 3 quart Accusump, but there will be a lot of heat generated by the blown (Procharger) 427, and I'm not interested in cooking expensive parts.

My question: will switching to the Dewitt rad with the built-in oil cooler be enough to keep temps below 280 or so, or do I need a separate oil radiator?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

You will probably need to at least box you radiator more than it is in factory form in order to maximize every bit of air flow.

If you do decide to get an oil cooler, contact Alvin at PCMforLess. He designed and installed the kit on my car and I have had excellent results.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:18 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

With forced induction, you are going to need every bit of cooling you can get. I would recommend a separate oil cooler to allow maximization of both engine cooling and oil cooling. I use the DRM oil cooler and am very happy with the results. I can run the car hard at 105 deg ambients at VIR in August and the oil never gets over 260 deg. Kit is easy to install too. Use duct tape to seal any gaps in the radiator shroud and you might consider adding exhaust vents to the hood or getting a vented hood to move more air.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of oil coolers sitting in my garage that I won't be using that are still brand new in the box. PM me if interested and I'll give you the details.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Oil Cooler Recommendations

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Cooler Recommendations