Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling defeated!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
.....Say, does this trick also work for PTM cars? i.e. can I still go into my Race mode 5 with this plug disconnected?
I dunno!?!?

However, if you can't go into Comp (and you won't if AH is completely disabled), then I doubt you'll be able to select any PTM modes.

I'm not sure, but I think steering angle is an input into the MSRC control module. If so, you might have a real problem if the MSRC is inop!!! (Unless you got rid of your ZR1 MSRC suspension and went with coilovers!!)

Edited: I looked in the 2010 Service Manual, and the ESCM (Electronic Suspension Control Module) "receives inputs from vehicle speed, steering wheel position, suspension position, and lift/dive status to determine the amount of damper control to the shocks electrical coil".

When the ESCM detects a malfunction "the system disables, and defaults with a fail-soft action....to display SERVICE RIDE CONTROL and SPEED LIMITED warning messages".

So, if you are still running the stock ZR1 MSRC (or any other model with MSRC/F55) I don't think you want to disable the steering angle sensor!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-25-2012 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Add info about steering angle input to MSRC
Old 10-25-2012, 05:49 PM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by krisa9977
My second or third VLN race, once I drove out from the pit lane after refueling (with slicks)all the sudden started raining. I had to drive almost full 20 km lap with slick tires before I got back to the box and put rain tires... Stability control is the winner in those cases
OMG ... that's bad! I was in a similar situation this pass weekend at Laguna Seca racing my GT3 Cup. I was running Michelin slicks on a cold damp race track and could not find any grip and ended up spinning 3 times at T2 and cost me the race

Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
TomWoodgeard
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Does that work with the C5 also?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are running without TPMS, and don't mind/are able, try and stay out for 25+ minutes and see if anything resets, also please let us know what the display reads for tire pressures.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by krisa9977
Actually it is available! Competition mode is pretty much TC on and AC off
Are you sure you typed what you were thinking ???
Old 10-25-2012, 07:28 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by *C7*
Are you sure you typed what you were thinking ???
AH
Old 10-25-2012, 07:53 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

great tip. what year is your car? wish i would have seen this before i bought tpms sensors for my track wheels.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TomWoodgeard
Does that work with the C5 also?
absolutely!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:24 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I dunno!?!?

However, if you can't go into Comp (and you won't if AH is completely disabled), then I doubt you'll be able to select any PTM modes.

I'm not sure, but I think steering angle is an input into the MSRC control module. If so, you might have a real problem if the MSRC is inop!!! (Unless you got rid of your ZR1 MSRC suspension and went with coilovers!!)

Edited: I looked in the 2010 Service Manual, and the ESCM (Electronic Suspension Control Module) "receives inputs from vehicle speed, steering wheel position, suspension position, and lift/dive status to determine the amount of damper control to the shocks electrical coil".

When the ESCM detects a malfunction "the system disables, and defaults with a fail-soft action....to display SERVICE RIDE CONTROL and SPEED LIMITED warning messages".

So, if you are still running the stock ZR1 MSRC (or any other model with MSRC/F55) I don't think you want to disable the steering angle sensor!!

Bob
Good tip. I have coilovers which replaced my magnetic shocks

Originally Posted by dfinke23
If you are running without TPMS, and don't mind/are able, try and stay out for 25+ minutes and see if anything resets, also please let us know what the display reads for tire pressures.
Will keep you posted. I don't have TPMS in my track wheels but will test it out with my street wheels next week

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
great tip. what year is your car? wish i would have seen this before i bought tpms sensors for my track wheels.
I have a 2011 Z06 carbon
Old 10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, based on what ya'll said, PTM most likely won't work with this trick. No major deal, but I do like the PTM 5 mode so I don't smoke the tires too bad on corner exit. Guess I'll just have to get better with throttle modulation if a TPMS sensor fails and I have to unplug that SW sensor.

Thanks again for the info!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Trying to drift the car gets really scary when it tries to "save" you.
The AH is annoying - Ive always wanted to be able to disable it prior to tc.

Has anyone tried to just do a cutoff with a switch instead of totally disconnecting the wires?

Last edited by el es tu; 10-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Yeah, based on what ya'll said, PTM most likely won't work with this trick. No major deal, but I do like the PTM 5 mode so I don't smoke the tires too bad on corner exit. Guess I'll just have to get better with throttle modulation if a TPMS sensor fails and I have to unplug that SW sensor.

Thanks again for the info!

QUIKAG, the OP is the other person that went through the same issues with the magnetic suspension on his Z06 and ultimately replaced them with coilovers like me that you and JVP were "commenting on" in the other thread. In any case I think that there is one thing that you guys with the PTM equipped ZR1's and 2012+ Z06's with Mag Suspension (with PTM) need to note and I put that in bold below (thanks BEZ06 for researching this!) and that is that when you remove the steering wheel positioning sensor not only will you loose PTM but that the car will default to full soft suspension setting.

I have a feeling that the default soft setting for you ZR1 and 12+ Z06 guys is probably about the same as if not softer that what we had as a Sport (the hardest) setting on our 2011 Carbon Eds. If that is indeed the case then you are going to see the excessive body roll that I commented on in my other thread and led to me braking and the OP of this thread bending our rear sway bar linkages. This is not something that you want to experience so I might suggest that at a future track day when everything is working fine you turn a few laps to get your self up to speed and your tires up to temp and then try setting your ride control to full soft and then take a couple of laps to see how the car performs. I'm guessing that after trying it that it is not going to turn out to be something that you are going to want to do especially with the slicks on your car.

The good thing through is that these sensors seem to be pretty robust (I've never had one fail in the last 14 years that I've owned vette's) and I've even slid into a curb sideways breaking a 5" strip of the lip off a wheel and the sensor still worked. The main concern with them seems to be having a battery die and if you use a TPMS programming tool like I picked up (the ATEQ VT30) you can scan your sensors and it will actually allow you to see the battery power level of the individual sensor as well as get a more accurate PSI reading (instead of full pound readings i.e. 30psi that you see on your dash it reads to 1/100 of a psi i.e. 30.26psi and it will also pull temperatures from the sensors too). So some pretty useful info that you would only normally see with a pro level reset tool in the $1000+ range. The cheapest that I have found one of these on line is for $202 here

http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product...ucts_id/357217

So really not any more expensive that most low end TPMS reset tools and just something to consider. Losing the ability to run not only PTM but also anything stiffer than full soft on your mag suspension I think is going to be a day finisher for most people tracking their cars so I just do not see that as a viable option for PTM equipped cars. So for those it seems that having as much info as possible to avoid an unexpected TPMS sensor failure is key hence it might be worth checking out something like the VT-30.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
I dunno!?!?

Bob
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Great tip if my TPMS ever acts up & thank you. Awesome video of Nurburgring...in the rain no less...

Originally Posted by mikymu
Got it. I had a major off and crash in rain couple years ago so I avoid it now days. California almost never rain but that can not be said of Germany

Check out this video in the rain!

Last edited by Bedouin; 10-31-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:09 PM
mikymu
Pro

Just got done testing on track with steering wheel sensor sensor off. Active handling never kick in even when tire warning light came on because I don't have TPMS in my track wheels. It's all good
Old 10-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Just got done testing on track with steering wheel sensor sensor off. Active handling never kick in even when tire warning light came on because I don't have TPMS in my track wheels. It's all good
Awesome, thanks for testing this for all of us

I think that you mentioned you were going to be at the Reno track this weekend. If you would let us know your thoughts of that track (have not heard much talk about it) and put up some video's on your thread!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM
AtomicZ
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
On my C5 z06 we did this back in 2003, during the One Lap of America. The active handling was malfuntioning and DRM contacted GM and was told that disconnecting the steering position sensor was the way to completely disable active handling without affecting abs. I always wondered if that would work on C6s. Guess we have our answer.
and you never shared this info before..........
Old 10-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Ursoboostd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks for reporting back. When I buy track wheels/tires I may not put TPMS in them now.

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling defeated!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 PM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by Ursoboostd
Awesome! Thanks for reporting back. When I buy track wheels/tires I may not put TPMS in them now.
Sure thing. Big thanks to Kris from Germany for the tip
The following users liked this post:
OuchIAteMyself (07-19-2019)
Old 10-28-2012, 11:25 PM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by Werks
Awesome, thanks for testing this for all of us
U are welcome

Last edited by mikymu; 10-28-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ
and you never shared this info before..........
Actually I shared it many times before in relation to C5 active handling questions and even mentioned several years ago that I didn't know if it would work on C6s.

Quick Reply: Active handling defeated!