Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling defeated!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 AM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Active handling defeated!

Yes, you heard that right. Thanks to tips from Germany's krisa9977 I was able to disable active handling without using dummy TPMS in a pressurized pipe - see thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-handling.html

I started a new thread because I feel strongly this is a topic most track rats need to know as not to ruin their track event if one of their TPMS goes bad. It is really simple to disable your active handling in 2 minutes. You can still select traction control ON or OFF and ABS still works. This is not for street driving and only to be used on the track and exercise caution if you chose to drive without active handling.

Here is the pain you will feel if somehow your TPMS goes bad or if you don't have TPMS in your track wheels and could not turn off active handling. Frankly it is flat out dangerous to have active handling kick in suddenly on the track when you least expect it.

First remove the plastic panel under the steering wheel column. pull down hard on the three plastic retainer screws and the cover will pop loose

Locate the steering wheel position sensor and disconnect the white sensor wire connector

When you start the car you will see the warning "service active handling". You can change the message to other engine parameters

I went out for a drive with Michelin slicks on a cold night without TPMS and make sharp turns at >0.9 G and active handling did not kick in

Will have full report on how the car handle with this setup after this weekend's track event
The following 2 users liked this post by mikymu:
stang302 (06-01-2022), tommyc6z06 (03-15-2018)
Old 10-25-2012, 08:32 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Seems like a really simple solution for a problem that has plagued a lot of C6 owners (almost too simple).
I’m interested to see if this really works.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 AM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just pull the fuse that is what we did.. i had just put on some stickys,,I was running the front straight at Homestead and out of nowhere just before T1 the front right locked up and pulled me towards the wall and just scared the s#$t out of me.. My buddy Brent from Performance tech pulled the AH/Abs fuse and i have never had any problem .. My Car is a full track car.. this may not be a good idea if you drive it on the street..
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by msracing
why not just pull the fuse that is what we did.. i had just put on some stickys,,I was running the front straight at Homestead and out of nowhere just before T1 the front right locked up and pulled me towards the wall and just scared the s#$t out of me.. My buddy Brent from Performance tech pulled the AH/Abs fuse and i have never had any problem .. My Car is a full track car.. this may not be a good idea if you drive it on the street..
Is yours a C5?

Mikymu: the same result can be had by disconnecting the Acceleration/YAW sensor that resides behind the stereo stack. The only downside to this workaround is your datalogger can't pick up the built in steering angle or acceleration/yaw that the CANBUS is reporting.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:53 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by msracing
ABS will not work if you do this. If you disconnect steering position sensor, you'll keep ABS on and will be able to turn on and off traction control
The following users liked this post:
phantomMW (03-06-2023)
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by jerrytx
Is yours a C5?

Mikymu: the same result can be had by disconnecting the Acceleration/YAW sensor that resides behind the stereo stack. The only downside to this workaround is your datalogger can't pick up the built in steering angle or acceleration/yaw that the CANBUS is reporting.
Hey Jerry, I am not using data logger at this time. Steering angle input will be nice but imho not crucial for lap time analysis

Originally Posted by krisa9977
ABS will not work if you do this. If you disconnect steering position sensor, you'll keep ABS on and will be able to turn on and off traction control
Yes, ABS still works by disconnecting the steering angle sensor which is very important and help prevent flat spot especially if you use slicks
Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

On my C5 z06 we did this back in 2003, during the One Lap of America. The active handling was malfuntioning and DRM contacted GM and was told that disconnecting the steering position sensor was the way to completely disable active handling without affecting abs. I always wondered if that would work on C6s. Guess we have our answer.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Love the KISS.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Outstanding! I was always worried about spending $$$$ going to the track between all the associated expenses and then having a TPMS sensor crap out and then being stuck in AH hell or reduced engine power (even worse).

Say, does this trick also work for PTM cars? i.e. can I still go into my Race mode 5 with this plug disconnected?
Old 10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
On my C5 z06 we did this back in 2003, during the One Lap of America. The active handling was malfuntioning and DRM contacted GM and was told that disconnecting the steering position sensor was the way to completely disable active handling without affecting abs. I always wondered if that would work on C6s. Guess we have our answer.
Yup, will have more feedback after this weekend's track event

Originally Posted by Jason
Love the KISS.
KISS??

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Outstanding! I was always worried about spending $$$$ going to the track between all the associated expenses and then having a TPMS sensor crap out and then being stuck in AH hell or reduced engine power (even worse).

Say, does this trick also work for PTM cars? i.e. can I still go into my Race mode 5 with this plug disconnected?
The only two selection I have after disable steering posistion sensor was TC ON and OFF. Competition mode is not avaiable with this mod
Old 10-25-2012, 02:10 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

See and I thought you didn't drive with any nannies on Is that why you didn't loop it in 2 days of rain driving, it all makes sense now!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Don't know what PTM Mode 5 is but if it means the only thing operating is the ABS then you will have it automatically when you pull the connector. The selector switch won't do anything since there is nothing left to control. You will have ABS and nothing else. No TC and no stability control functions at all.

Bill
td9170 (09-19-2016)
Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Don't know what PTM Mode 5 is but if it means the only thing operating is the ABS then you will have it automatically when you pull the connector. The selector switch won't do anything since there is nothing left to control. You will have ABS and nothing else. No TC and no stability control functions at all.

Bill
Traction control can still be selected when you pull steering angle sensor switch and ABS is always on which is all you really need on the track. I would guess TPMS still works if you decide to use it for your track wheels and should not trigger active handling if one of them go bad since active handling is disabled

Last edited by mikymu; 10-25-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:14 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikymu

.... Competition mode is not avaiable with this mod
Actually it is available! Competition mode is pretty much TC on and AC off
Old 10-25-2012, 03:16 PM
mikymu
Pro

Actually it is available! Competition mode is pretty much TC on and AC off
lol

There you go! Do you drive your Z06 with steering position sensor off on the track all the time AKA competition mode?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:22 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

KISS??
Keep It Simple Stupid
Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Keep It Simple Stupid
Thanks

can't keep up with all the abbrviation now days lol

Get notified of new replies

To Active handling defeated!

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

lol

There you go! Do you drive your Z06 with steering position sensor off on the track all the time AKA competition mode?
Usually all my sensors work and I just press the button to turn everything off, but sometimes, especially in a rain, TC is very helpful
Old 10-25-2012, 03:32 PM
mikymu
Pro

Usually all my sensors work and I just press the button to turn everything off, but sometimes, especially in a rain, TC is very helpful
Got it. I had a major off and crash in rain couple years ago so I avoid it now days. California almost never rain but that can not be said of Germany

Check out this video in the rain!

06nine (02-04-2018)
Old 10-25-2012, 03:51 PM
krisa9977
Instructor

Got it. I had a major off and crash in rain couple years ago so I avoid it now days. California almost never rain but that can not be said of Germany

Check out this video in the rain!
My second or third VLN race, once I drove out from the pit lane after refueling (with slicks)all the sudden started raining. I had to drive almost full 20 km lap with slick tires before I got back to the box and put rain tires... Stability control is the winner in those cases

Quick Reply: Active handling defeated!