Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failure as a test driver

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Failure as a test driver

Took part in a Car&Driver/Road&Track "Editor for a Day" event at Candlestick Park, San Francisco. Basically there was a chalk talk, then evaulated a static display of fully optioned 2013 Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata and Toyota Camry. Then drove base models of the same on two separate "autocross" courses. I had problem driving the first course which consisted of a left/right chicane followed by a 5 cone slalom. We were supposed to get up to 30mph (full throttle per the ride along "pro" driver) and take the chicane without lifting or braking, then off throttle through a left hand bend, stop, then power through the slalom and slowing immediately after. I just could not do it. Each car had the driver, instructor and 2 passengers who rotated to the driver position. Without all that weight, I swear the car would have "stubbed its toe" through the chicane and rolled. So I was lifting at the apex cone, then powering through when they wanted me to hold the power through the chicane and experience the subsequent body roll and suspension compression. Then at the slalom I was giving it the gas after the last cone when they wanted me to brake. The instructor got pissed at me "am I not communicating here?". I just could not unlearn over 35 years of autocrossing over one run in each car. Guess I'm not cut out to be a test driver
Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Took part in a Car&Driver/Road&Track "Editor for a Day" event at Candlestick Park, San Francisco. Basically there was a chalk talk, then evaulated a static display of fully optioned 2013 Nissan Altima, Honda Accord, Hyundai Sonata and Toyota Camry. Then drove base models of the same on two separate "autocross" courses. I had problem driving the first course which consisted of a left/right chicane followed by a 5 cone slalom. We were supposed to get up to 30mph (full throttle per the ride along "pro" driver) and take the chicane without lifting or braking, then off throttle through a left hand bend, stop, then power through the slalom and slowing immediately after. I just could not do it. Each car had the driver, instructor and 2 passengers who rotated to the driver position. Without all that weight, I swear the car would have "stubbed its toe" through the chicane and rolled. So I was lifting at the apex cone, then powering through when they wanted me to hold the power through the chicane and experience the subsequent body roll and suspension compression. Then at the slalom I was giving it the gas after the last cone when they wanted me to brake. The instructor got pissed at me "am I not communicating here?". I just could not unlearn over 35 years of autocrossing over one run in each car. Guess I'm not cut out to be a test driver
Well, you didn't hurt the test cars, did you? I wouldn't worry about what the 'experts' wanted you to do.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

THOSE MAGAZINE GUYS ARE IDIOTS
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 AM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought about going, but I figured it would be a lot of standing around and a waste of a day, was I right?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:05 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hungryhippo
I thought about going, but I figured it would be a lot of standing around and a waste of a day, was I right?
Yeah...lots of standing around but I thought it was worth it going at least once. Disappointed that no Detroit iron represented. They said Ford Fusion was considered but the mags could not buy one (or more) on time for the test (they would have needed at least 3).

Course "managers" were constantly looking at the front tires. I would imagine that a front tire or two would be corded by the end of the day.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:31 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went on Sunday. It wasn't the most scientific of tests, but it was a good experience driving the different cars back to back.

It was worth the 3 hours or so to go and experience the whole event.

Spoiler Alert: the Camry is still the crappiest handling of comparable sedans. Probably not a big surprise to anyone.

Dog
Old 11-06-2012, 11:01 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
I went on Sunday. It wasn't the most scientific of tests, but it was a good experience driving the different cars back to back.

It was worth the 3 hours or so to go and experience the whole event.

Spoiler Alert: the Camry is still the crappiest handling of comparable sedans. Probably not a big surprise to anyone.

Dog
WHAATTT????? It's not "Grounded to the ground"??!!???
Old 11-06-2012, 12:35 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Legacy Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its their cars, do what they tell you and if it rolls blame the intstructor :P)
Old 11-08-2012, 08:19 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead

Hahaha! Good one. (I hate that commercial)
Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done lots of test drives, but one similar to this that I did for Cadillac at Auto Club speedway was such a bad experience I won't do it again. The bondurant instructor was kindly put an ***. Perhaps I am to used to my Mercedes, but the Caddy's were disapointing, except in a straight line. The highlight of the day was the tire lesson from a retired Michellen engineer. That was worth the time, but the rest wasn't fun, and like napa... I couldn't unlearn my autocross experience. When I got the offer for the Nissan test, I decided to pass, I am glad I did.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

It almost seems more like a pr/marketing thing than test driving...
Were they videotaping it???

A car can only do so much. If you know what your doing, you can feel the car out and make decisions based on that (which Im guessing you are fully capable of) - Id have asked the "pro" to show me how he does it and watch him fail
Old 11-12-2012, 10:04 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by napacruzerc5
Disappointed that no Detroit iron represented. They said Ford Fusion was considered but the mags could not buy one (or more) on time for the test (they would have needed at least 3).
After reading Car/Driver and Road/Track off and on over the years, both magazines really don't like Detroit built products and many of the cars they feature are easily in the 6 figure range.

Get notified of new replies

To Failure as a test driver

Quick Reply: Failure as a test driver