Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[PICS] Pics of my track weekend at CMP with NASA [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 10:26 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default [PICS] Pics of my track weekend at CMP with NASA [PICS]

Just thought I'd share some pics from my weekend racing with NASA at CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park). It was my first time on a roadcourse and I ran in HPDE 1 group. Great weather and tons of adrenaline.

The yellow Corvette gang..we caused quite a commotion lol:

Heading out.

Following my friend in the lead C5Z. We passed each other on occasion but for the most part were pretty even. He did spin out and John Deere the grass 3 times though, haha.

The Mustangs right where they belong...behind me. :finger:

Love this pic:

Ok, well except for this Mustang. It was a full racecar, non street legal that was very built. It was also a HPDE2 driver, because due to timing issues they had to run my DE1 group with DE2. I more than happily let him pass and then had fun attempting to stick with him in the corners.

Such a slow GTO in the corners and the straights..

Emergency rotor swap...cracked both rear rotors. I knew better than to run drilled/slotted rotors on a track, but thought that surely they'd last one weekend. I was wrong. Basically brand new rotors that had to be thrown away.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
Emergency rotor swap...cracked both rear rotors. I knew better than to run drilled/slotted rotors on a track, but thought that surely they'd last one weekend. I was wrong.
CMP is VERY hard on brakes

I saw you out there riding around with my DE1 student
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

AH left on? That'll kill brakes. but even with it off get used to changing rotors.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, for CMP... I always put on new brake pads, fresh fluid and new rotors. Usually after two full races, two qualifying sessions and one practice session... the brakes are about toast and the rotors need replacing or have already cracked.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:35 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard
CMP is VERY hard on brakes

I saw you out there riding around with my DE1 student
Hopefully it was the SECOND day you saw me out there..I was horrible on the brakes my first day. Was late braking on street pads like an idiot, ABS the whole time, AH going crazy...it's no wonder I didn't explode my rotors sooner. The second day I was MUCH better with the braking, smoother, and didn't use ABS once. I also turned off AH as well.

How'd I look? If I didn't have someone to follow then for some reason I'd start driving poorly but as soon as I had someone who was competitive in front of me, I'd hit my apexes and angles great. My instructor was real impressed with my improvement between Day 1 and 2.

Originally Posted by Jason
AH left on? That'll kill brakes. but even with it off get used to changing rotors.
Yeah.. AH, late braking which enabled it, as well as ABS...all at the same time. No wonder.

Originally Posted by PushinTheLimit
Yep, for CMP... I always put on new brake pads, fresh fluid and new rotors. Usually after two full races, two qualifying sessions and one practice session... the brakes are about toast and the rotors need replacing or have already cracked.
I did put in fresh ATE Super Blue fluid and never had any boiling which was good. I really could have used some fresh pads/rotors and gone with a race compound instead of my street HPS. I'm "poor" though and had to save up for this race with worker credits. :P
Old 11-13-2012, 09:45 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdman
My instructor was real impressed with my improvement between Day 1 and 2.
Pat? He knows that place better than about anybody
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Birdman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Pat? He knows that place better than about anybody
I WISH. But alas, my friend Diaz (the one in the other yellow C5Z) got Pat. I got someone else.

Get notified of new replies

To [PICS] Pics of my track weekend at CMP with NASA [PICS]

Quick Reply: [PICS] Pics of my track weekend at CMP with NASA [PICS]